Again - Early morning walking Promenade

Mary229

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

They have those too 😉, even when they're going in the same diection.

So true, still remember a couple of season ago one of the Verstappen and Hamilton crashes, with Verstappen's car flying over the top of Hamilton, at Monza.

So how hard would it be for ALL the ships to standarize and eliminate ALL the confusion by posting signs as well as in the daily newsletters with RULES.  

1.  Signs should say clearly walk counterclockwise or clockwise...who cares if everyone does the same but with a hodgepodge of nationalities etc just standardize it which would benefit everyone.

2.  NO JOGGING on Prom decks.  PERIOD.  

Noise is one issue.  Lots of older foks out for a leisurely stroll looking at scenery and  runners coming fast from either direction around narrow corners or from behind and one misstep and whack down you go.  Not good.

3.  One memo from headquarters to all the ships in the fleet, put up the signs and DONE.  It would be nice if there was some enforcement but we all know that is unlikely.

4.  Of course if you had flashing neon signs some brain dead "but i am special idiots"  would still refuse to follow the rules but hopefully most would.

• Like 10

@dockman 10000% AGREE!!

I've been saying this for years...  the cruiselines could reduce or eliminate SO many problems with verbiage and signage!  Imagine if the Daily had permanent "friendly reminders" such as "please close cabin doors quietly" (those slams drive me crazy) and "please use soft voices in hallways" (the louds at midnight!)  Most offenders are clueless, but any reminder could help...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

So reading through this thread, it seems that it us "traditional" that on walks anti-clockwise on the promenade deck. With that established then it would be natural to keep right as that would put you you towards the outboard guard rail, as opposed to walking along the row of lounge chairs found on some promenade decks. This is not some "national standard" simply common sense. So I think we could all agree let's pick a direction and stick with that.

For the joggers, it is the "Promenade" deck where one promenades not the running deck. If the ship has one that's somewhere else. Also all ships have extensive gyms with treadmills where you can run as far as you like and not run iver anyone. They even have a great forward facing view.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, dockman said:

2.  NO JOGGING on Prom decks.  PERIOD.  

Noise is one issue.  Lots of older foks out for a leisurely stroll looking at scenery and  runners coming fast from either direction around narrow corners or from behind and one misstep and whack down you go.  Not good.

Really?  The old folks have more rights than younger more physically active people?  I do agree with you that I'm concerned about the collisions with people wandering aimlessly causing injuries to the runners.  @Blackduck59 summarized it well, everyone needs to exercise common courtesy and situational awareness.  Just because you are old, your description not mine, you can't wander around without regard to your surroundings.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Really?  The old folks have more rights than younger more physically active people?  I do agree with you that I'm concerned about the collisions with people wandering aimlessly causing injuries to the runners.  @Blackduck59 summarized it well, everyone needs to exercise common courtesy and situational awareness.  Just because you are old, your description not mine, you can't wander around without regard to your surroundings.

17 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Some day believe it or not all of us get old and part of getting older is your reflexs, hearing and response time slows down as well as your ability to recover from injury.  Yes there are old folks wandering aimlessly but i am pretty sure that a collision between a young runner and an old person is much more likely to injure the old folks than the young runners. 

So just maybe common sense and courtesy would suggest that younger more active people would use the jogging tracks and the gyms where you don't have to deal with all of us old foks. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Really?  The old folks have more rights than younger more physically active people?

I wouldn’t call it “rights” so much as “consideration”.  Just as one has consideration for small children who aren’t situationally aware; one would/should expect the same consideration for the elderly.  As an in-betweener who has finished raising children, I now find I am using those same skills when travelling with my elderly parents.  It’s just common decency.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Not really adding to the discussion, I just chuckled at the idea that being younger makes someone more physically active. At 56 I lift heavy stuff 4 days a week, do cardio 3 days, and average 12k steps a day. My 5 kids ranging from 21-32 don't do that combined. Not bragging, just pointing out that age doesn't dictate how active people are. 

I do agree that the real problem here is people being aware and considerate of those around them. There is not enough of this in the world.

• Like 8

18 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Correct Lyle. The British Grand Prix at Silverstone races in a clockwise direction, as I believe most races are in Europe.

Of the 24 F1 race racetracks for 2024, 14 run clockwise, 9 counter-clockwise, and one, Suzuka, is a figure 8 track, resulting in part being run clockwise and the remainder counter-clockwise.

The 3 current US races all run counter-clockwise, but in the past have been held on clockwise tracks as well. All Canadian Grands Prix have been run on clockwise tracks, and I've happy to attend races at all three.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming... 😇

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, dmacleod said:

I just chuckled at the idea that being younger makes someone more physically active. At 56 I lift heavy stuff 4 days a week, do cardio 3 days, and average 12k steps a day.

At 56, on HAL, you WOULD be younger. 😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Pretty amazing thread. It's lasted a lot longer than I expected. As a side note, the chair hogs thread is a bit longer but was started a few days earlier. So there is hope. 

But like that thread, unless the cruise lines are going to be proactive and work these selective issues, not a lot will change. The folks you believe are the offenders won't read or care about it. As post #2 said.  

It's a cruise ship. It's not yours and you have to share.  

As long as the ship doesn't sink, my toilet and A/C work, food is edible and bars are open I'm good. Everything else is gravy.  

• Like 9

7 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

I wouldn’t call it “rights” so much as “consideration”.  Just as one has consideration for small children who aren’t situationally aware; one would/should expect the same consideration for the elderly.  As an in-betweener who has finished raising children, I now find I am using those same skills when travelling with my elderly parents.  It’s just common decency.

I have observed declining situational awareness at the retirement home where my mother lives. I think it's part of the aging process unfortunately. There are many there in their high 80's and 90's. Even a couple over 100. Watching them all heading to the dining room for a meal is something else! It's like rush hour on the 401. If you've ever driven on the 401, you'll know what I mean.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Skorpora said:

I have observed declining situational awareness at the retirement home where my mother lives. I think it's part of the aging process unfortunately.

Yes, I completely agree.

4 minutes ago, Skorpora said:

If you've ever driven on the 401, you'll know what I mean.  

I know exactly what you mean.  😂  (I grew up in Oakville.)

• Like 1

People walking abreast with zero intent to move for anyone make me crazy.  If I’m out there walking in the day I’m trying to get somewhere.  

I do run on it.  Get up at 3 or 4 in the morning. Never see a soul. 

2 minutes ago, alwaysfrantic said:

People walking abreast with zero intent to move for anyone make me crazy.  If I’m out there walking in the day I’m trying to get somewhere.  

It's really not about those ON the deck at 0300 to 0400 hrs. It's about those UNDER the deck at that time.

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

It's really not about those ON the deck at 0300 to 0400 hrs. It's about those UNDER the deck at that time.

It’s a silent sport.  Setting up the chairs and such at 5 maybe less 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, retird said:

Well the issue of clockwise or counter clockwise and left side or right side is definitely a First World Problem.   Sheesh

Pretty much everything about cruising is a "First world problem", no?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

59 minutes ago, alwaysfrantic said:

My problem is a couple of hours later when they are washing the decks.  I wish they did that at 0300 or 0400.

On 3/1/2024 at 12:42 PM, Mary229 said:

Berating me for stating a person should follow custom makes me assume that some people just don’t care if others are inconvenienced by one’s actions.  

They are probably following custom, just not the same custom you are following.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, sciencewonk said:

They are probably following custom, just not the same custom you are following.

One needs only spend 15 seconds to see the traffic flow to determine the custom.   Just open your eyes and try to be cooperative 

6 hours ago, Skorpora said:

I have observed declining situational awareness at the retirement home where my mother lives. I think it's part of the aging process unfortunately. There are many there in their high 80's and 90's. Even a couple over 100. Watching them all heading to the dining room for a meal is something else! It's like rush hour on the 401. If you've ever driven on the 401, you'll know what I mean.  

Sounds like any given corridor between the MDR and the theatre on a HAL ship. 

• Haha 2

My 3.5 cents worth. 

Firstly, the promenade by name is for promenading, a leisurely walk especially in a public place for pleasure or display. Hence, not for jogging, and not for walking (exercise). That is what the jogging track and the gym is for.

Secondly, the direction doesn't matter so much on the promenade but avoiding colliding with others does. Hence, promenade whichever way you want but note who is around you while doing it and definitely say hello.

• Like 19