Carnival Jubilee & Job Interview

I am currently on the Jubilee.

I got a call on Monday requesting a job interview for tomorrow; that is the only day they were willing to interview me. Therefore, I'll be trying to do a Zoom interview via Starlink tomorrow, our final sea day. The interview is at 10:30 am. 

I have no idea if this will work.

To complicate matters, I have my laptop but no headset. No second monitor. They want a teaching demonstration! I'm working on my PowerPoint now.

I've already talked to Guest Services and they said I can use their break room for the interview if I want but the conference rooms are full. 

Please, give me some tips, ideas, or good juju.

I'm trying to decide whether to do it from my stateroom on Deck 4 or the break room behind guest services. 

• Like 2

Before your interview, go through a dry run, zoom meet with a friend or family, to see what it will be like.

I imagine your own cabin will be the quietest place to conduct the meeting privately. 

• Like 7

Good luck! I would say to it from your cabin because you don't know if someone will walk right into the break room. I think that is so nice that they are offering that space for you. I'm sure whoever is interviewing you will give you a little bit of Grace given the fact that you're on vacation mode.

• Like 2

Definitely try zooming with a friend from wherever you decide to do the interview.  As others have said - your cabin is probably the best place (quietest, no one walking in) to do the zoom.  However - just a heads up - when we were on Magic in January our cabin was a "dead" area - very poor internet connection.  Had to go out to get any kind of good one.  That is why I advise trying today to see if it works from wherever you decide to do it.  And Good Luck!! Let us know how it went!

Good luck on your interview.  I hope you have investigated and are sure this is a company that will respect your time - especially since they are only willing to interview you while you are away on vacation, doesn't start off very well if you ask me.

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, kabux said:

Good luck on your interview.  I hope you have investigated and are sure this is a company that will respect your time - especially since they are only willing to interview you while you are away on vacation, doesn't start off very well if you ask me.

My DH said this sounds like a follow up interview, not a first interview.  Maybe that's why it's so time sensitive.  I agree, the company is aggressive considering OP is on vacation and doesn't have all the equipment necessary. 

• Like 4

As others have said, do a test run with a friend/family mbr prior....I have had staterooms that the internet connection was very poor, and you don't want that to be the case!

Good luck with the interview!

Okay! I've got 30 minutes until interview time. Just did a practice run on Zoom with a friend and she could see and hear me clearly. 

Here are my current speeds. 

image.png.054a7ae3c37b86aae63e85fba3d148ce.png

• Like 5

It's over!!!

There were no audio or video issues. At one point my computer said no internet connection, but they could still see and hear me.

The mirror made the perfect backlight and I'm glad I brought a dry erase marker to write notes.

I was interviewed by a panel of 7, so I understand why they needed it to be today. 

Now I'm going to enjoy a fun little drink at the Golden Mermaid. 

20240308_104147.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

I don't even bring my laptop on cruises so if a job asked me to interview while I was on a cruise, I wouldn't know and they'd miss out on a great candidate because of their lack of planning.

• Like 1

I hope it went well @Texaslady22. I know if I was on the panel I'd be voting YES if only to have a like-minded individual to swap stories around the coffee pot with.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

Should have emphasized how you wanted the job so bad that you were willing to interrupt your vacation to accomodate them.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Happy Update:

I ended up getting 3 job offers in the same week after nearly 6 months of unemployment! This was one of them, but I accepted a different position.

I am so glad that things are finally looking up! 😍

• Like 19

2 minutes ago, Texaslady22 said:

Happy Update:

I ended up getting 3 job offers in the same week after nearly 6 months of unemployment! This was one of them, but I accepted a different position.

Wow! Congratulations!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Texaslady22 said:

Happy Update:

Congrats!!!!!

1 hour ago, Texaslady22 said:

Happy Update:

Congratulations on the new job!! Nice to hear about good things happening .