Labadee canceled

58 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

But I'm guessing this decision was made for liability reasons,  not actual safety concerns. 

That and probably to stop Customer Service from being overwhelmed by phone calls, emails, chats, etc. from concerned customers.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Thisguylikestocruise said:

Hopefully Haiti gets a stable government and citizens can live a safer life. I’m sure cruise ships will return once the gang situation is under control. 

At least 3rd time I can remember Royal stop their Ships here in last 35yrs. 100 yrs of issues in Haiti, even 30 yrs had my US Army Buddys fly into here. Have Hope also, Labadee was my very first Cruise Port stop back in the 80's, but then there is reality

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nolefan95 said:

Things have gone completely downhill in 2024 compared to July 2023. The US has done a great job at forecasting the unrest. I applaud RCCL for making the right decision given the recent events. 

You do understand that some Haitians believe that the former US support for Henry is causing the civil unrest..dont you? I wouldnt have confidence to say that the US was great in their forecasting ability. 

And as others have said, there are other multiple factors that led Royal's decision to suspend stops to Labadee. I highly doubt, an impending raid/Invasion from Cap Haitien was one of them. 

• Like 1

On Explorer next week. Was looking forward to Labadee but CC looks even better. I see the change in the itinerary but excursions not updated yet. 
Wondering if there were any real issues or they were just getting too much negative feedback from worried customers?

3 hours ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

image.png.b64901d796e9f16cd0302cbe313f03a4.png
If a replacement port is to be scheduled, it would be nice to give passengers enough early notification to actually book excursions before they are sold out. If you tell passengers 3 days out that they are going to Nassau, for example, the desirable excursions will be unavailable.

On Indy 3/21, that's within 7 days so hope we hear today. They moved Grandeur to Coco Cay the day we could have went so that's out. Hope it's not the easy choice of Nassau. We were just there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fla33023 said:

On Indy 3/21, that's within 7 days so hope we hear today. They moved Grandeur to Coco Cay the day we could have went so that's out. Hope it's not the easy choice of Nassau. We were just there.

I didn’t see they moved Grandeur there…that really stinks. I bet it’s Nassau.  Any chance they still have the tender boats at CC. lol. 

4 minutes ago, 1992cruiser said:

I didn’t see they moved Grandeur there…that really stinks. I bet it’s Nassau.  Any chance they still have the tender boats at CC. lol. 

This was posted on the other site yesterday. I'll run the tender boat myself! Lol

Screenshot_20240314_134504_Chrome.jpg

16 hours ago, Jetdriver787 said:

but once travel insurers started to baulk at coverage, the writing was already on the wall. It’s been a tough few years for this  industry and hopefully the situation will improve soon, 

And yet I was told on another thread that UK insurers were awful for not covering people at Labadee, that US insurers were

much better and RC should stop there regardless 😂

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 1992cruiser said:

They tendered to CC last year when they had 3 boats in. They used the sports jetty. I assume they used boats from the cruise ship but not sure on that.

7 minutes ago, Donsyb said:

And yet I was told on another thread that UK insurers were awful for not covering people at Labadee, that US insurers were

much better and RC should stop there regardless 😂

To be fair, you were talking about trip insurance. Royal was likely told by ITS OWN insurers that these calls aren’t worth the risk. These are the same people as the ones who might say “paint that edge yellow so people don’t trip and fall off the ship.” They look for worst-case scenarios.

US trip insurance still covers people who were in Labadee yesterday. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

To be fair, you were talking about trip insurance. Royal was likely told by ITS OWN insurers that these calls aren’t worth the risk. These are the same people as the ones who might say “paint that edge yellow so people don’t trip and fall off the ship.” They look for worst-case scenarios.

US trip insurance still covers people who were in Labadee yesterday. 

I don’t believe that’s what Jet Driver is saying, read their posts. It reads to me like they’re talking about people’ own insurance (happy to be corrected if im

wrong).

9 minutes ago, Donsyb said:

I don’t believe that’s what Jet Driver is saying, read their posts. It reads to me like they’re talking about people’ own insurance (happy to be corrected if im

wrong).

I doubt Royal cares deeply about British passengers’ trip insurance. That insurance hasn’t covered Haiti for some time now. I suspect it is Royal’s own insurers in this case. It’s their private “island” so there is enhanced liability there. 

• Like 2

We're sailing on Symphony this Sunday, and neither of us has received any kind of email. Is anyone else on this sailing? Do I need to cancel the reservations that we've made, or will it be automatically refunded? If we go to Coco Cay, will we have an opportunity to make any reservations, or will we have to take care of this on the ship? 

15 minutes ago, BLiles1961 said:

We're sailing on Symphony this Sunday, and neither of us has received any kind of email. Is anyone else on this sailing? Do I need to cancel the reservations that we've made, or will it be automatically refunded? If we go to Coco Cay, will we have an opportunity to make any reservations, or will we have to take care of this on the ship? 

They're only canceling a week at a time and any additional cancelations will come with a 3 day lead time

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

They're only canceling a week at a time and any additional cancelations will come with a 3 day lead time

I understand that, but we're supposed to be at Labadee on Tuesday and haven't heard anything from RCI. I'll try emailing the suite concierge to see what they have to say.

36 minutes ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

I doubt Royal cares deeply about British passengers’ trip insurance. That insurance hasn’t covered Haiti for some time now. I suspect it is Royal’s own insurers in this case. It’s their private “island” so there is enhanced liability there. 

Again I don’t read it as just applying to the U.K. there are a lot of countries out there that aren’t the US and don’t operate the same way you know!

2 minutes ago, BLiles1961 said:

I understand that, but we're supposed to be at Labadee on Tuesday and haven't heard anything from RCI. I'll try emailing the suite concierge to see what they have to say.

You’re having a sea day instead of Labadee. This was announced yesterday. 

27 minutes ago, BLiles1961 said:

Labadee excursions were canceled by Royal.

5 minutes ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

You’re having a sea day instead of Labadee. This was announced yesterday. 

Thank you! That's what I wanted to know. It's weird that it's not showing as cancelled in the cruise planner, but we'll just roll with it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BLiles1961 said:

Nothing is for sure at this moment. Lots of flux concerning this port. The cruise contract says the "flux" is up to Royal to interpret.

I was in Haiti in 1989 for a seven day cruise out of Miami. I was with another military officer and his wife on their honeymoon. Everywhere we went, they keep saying, "Rambo, do you want something?"

Most probably it was our haircuts and body language which they are very attuned to.

Very concerning as we tried to keep a low profile upon our decision to go back to the ship.We were worried about our spouses.  We could take care of ourselves but did not want to put them in any type of jeopardy which was supposed to be a "perfect" vacation for us and a honeymoon for them.

This is not a new situation.

Posted (edited)

It's a super long shot but I hope we don't go here in August. I don't want the people of Haiti to suffer...I just want to go to a better port lol. But when I booked,  the cruise was at a date I could go and a price I could afford 🙃 

Edited by toxicfairy

5 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Because it's part of the conversation, we both quoted the same post and you seemed to be in agreement with the person we both quoted.

But if I misunderstood, I'll edit my post and remove the quoted post, if time allows.

👍

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AandBmom said:

I find it fascinating that this post has so few replies. What happened to all the individuals that were saying this would never happen just two days ago?

You are spot on!! There were so many who bashed those who speculated that they would. My oh my oh my. I'll be kind and stop there. 

• Like 8

I was supposed to stop at Labadee on March 25 while on Symphony. It is up in the air now, but I doubt we will go. I feel terrible for the Haitian people. I had a cabana rented. I haven't cancelled, neither has Royal. It would be better if they would give us notice of any port changes so we can make alternate plans. I understand that the situation is fluid. I just don't see this situation in Haiti resolving anytime soon.

• Like 2