Labadee canceled

43 minutes ago, LivLove2Cruise said:

We are on the 8th day Symphony cruise (March 23) with Labadee on the 3rd day.  I anticipate we will have the same itinerary as you - (Nassau replacing Labadee). We shall wait and see.

We’re on that cruise too and anxiously awaiting the port change.  Hoping for Grand Turk but will be happy with anything.  Just want time to plan.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jean87510 said:

They probably haven't added them yet.  We have had similar situations with ports changed last minute, added last minute...etc...  

Looks like its not going to Happen.Explore Of The Seas Reservations close tonight at 11:59Pm. They did get a tab on the excursions page that says Coco Cay. It directs you to the Drink Packages. No Suprise there. Guess i will be checking with the Shore X Desk on Sunday. Happy Sailing

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cruisegirl1976 said:

Everyone should check their trip insurance policy to see if they have change of itinerary in the plan.

If this was the case, what kind of claim could you submit?  (I'm sure its dependent on the policy...but curious if this has happened to someone else what they received?  Partial refund?)

22 hours ago, Twenty2020 said:

Always enjoyed it. Very pretty spot for a beach day. Never had an issue finding plenty of chairs. Food is nothing great, but whatever. Beer is cold. Vendors are easy to avoid. 

I'm 100% positive Royal will be back there... Likely sooner than later. 

I wouldn't be so confident about that... Haiti has been a dumpster fire ever since their earthquake they never recovered from... Now 4000 violent criminals are walking the streets with effectively no government and 4 different war lords fighting for control...  Not sure it gets under control anytime soon.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, UNCFanatik said:

I never said that Royal would never suspend Labadee stops. I merely pointed out that there have been Do Not Travel Advisories in the past as well to Haiti and Royal never suspended stopping there because of said advisory. 

I also pointed out the financial ramifications to the local Haitians that rely on tourist dollars from cruise passengers if Royal stopped going to Labadee.

I will still stand by my position that Labadee/Cruise ships in port are not in danger of being attacked by the civil unrest. 

Royal had to make a business decision in this matter and as others have pointed out, it may have to do with insurance and the growing negative PR and pushes from the more nervous, uninformed cruisers out there.

Civil unrest??  They effectively don't have a government and drug lords are fighting for control.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jillt92 said:

We’re on that cruise too and anxiously awaiting the port change.  Hoping for Grand Turk but will be happy with anything.  Just want time to plan.

We’re on the Symphony the 23rd also.  Grand Turk would be a new port for us.  Since we only have 2 other stops, I hope it isn’t just another sea day.  But if it is, we’ll have a good day.  It doesn’t really matter to us.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Laszlo said:

The DR has a good chance of being overrun 

Overrun by Haitian refugees, a possibility. Overrun by Haitian gangs, not a chance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, woods1967 said:

You are spot on!! There were so many who bashed those who speculated that they would. My oh my oh my. I'll be kind and stop there. 

I stopped posting as all that happened was I was told I wrong and my insurance was 2nd class and even my country was small etc, there was no reasoning so posts got deleted and threads locked as people got more worked up with me.

Now the news is out those people have moved on to greater things.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, gavvy said:

I stopped posting as all that happened was I was told I wrong and my insurance was 2nd class and even my country was small etc, there was no reasoning so posts got deleted and threads locked as people got more worked up with me.

Now the news is out those people have moved on to greater things.

No, we haven’t moved on, there just isn’t anything to say on the matter. 

Royal has made their decision. 

I stand by my statements that the peninsula would have been safe for tourists.  Now we will never know. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Laplayaperson said:

If this was the case, what kind of claim could you submit?  (I'm sure its dependent on the policy...but curious if this has happened to someone else what they received?  Partial refund?)

It all depends what policy you have regarding how much money you will get back, I just got off a cruise in Feb and a port was cancelled cause of the weather, and it was part of my policy if an itinerary change happens then you can file a claim, which I did and received some money back. 

4 hours ago, Harrisonkid said:

Just checked ! RCCL has bot emailed us buy the App now says Turks ..so we will see 

I have been to Grand Turk on a Carnival cruise pre-Covid and it was a relaxing day for us. The beach is right at the pier, in front of the ship. The port area has some shopping and an interesting small display about the U.S. Space program (a space shuttle once landed in the water there).  We went to Margaritaville for lunch, I don’t know if that is still open. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I would never cx a cruise because of this...we don't even get off in Labadee anymore, And I don't let that bother me when booking if it shows up on the itin.  No biggie.  I guess I just trust RCCL after 25 years to take care of me.  My bet for switching ports would be Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic since it's the same island and borders Haiti. In fact our Celebrity Ascent next April goes there. Somehow the Dominicans have got their sht under control.  This is a pic of the gates at Labadee, they park their vehicles in front of them to keep criminals from ramming them.  I wouldn't be afraid to go there, just don't want to go there.  Stay on the ship.

fence labadee.jpg

Edited by BecciBoo

13 hours ago, Laszlo said:

The DR has a good chance of being overrun 

9 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Overrun by Haitian refugees, a possibility. Overrun by Haitian gangs, not a chance.

4 hours ago, Harrisonkid said:

Last time this happened DR closed its borders. So ,not sure about refugees but either way a bad situation for a ton of humans 

We were in Haiti and the DR on Adventure in February, and from what we were told by people we talked with in both countries, it appears that the border between the two countries is still tightly closed. Our Haitian tour guide said that the DR will not issue any visas for Haitians to travel to the DR, and in the DR the guides were very clear that Haitians that managed to cross the border were quickly sent back to Haiti.

Take it for what it is worth...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

I have been to Grand Turk on a Carnival cruise pre-Covid and it was a relaxing day for us. The beach is right at the pier, in front of the ship. The port area has some shopping and an interesting small display about the U.S. Space program (a space shuttle once landed in the water there).  We went to Margaritaville for lunch, I don’t know if that is still open. 

It's still open and it's a really good time!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

We were in Haiti and the DR on Adventure in February, and from what we were told by people we talked with in both countries, it appears that the border between the two countries is still tightly closed. Our Haitian tour guide said that the DR will not issue any visas for Haitians to travel to the DR, and in the DR the guides were very clear that Haitians that managed to cross the border were quickly sent back to Haiti.

Take it for what it is worth...

They said that on the news last night.  The border is very heavily secured.  DR doesn't want them in their country as they are much more stable and tourism is a huge industry for them.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sandebeach said:

Not a space shuttle, but not just any ordinary spacecraft -- Friendship 7, the Mercury capsule the flew John Glenn on the first manned orbit of the Earth, splashed down just off Grand Turk. There's a replica of the capsule at the airport.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1