Labadee canceled

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, AandBmom said:

I find it fascinating that this post has so few replies. What happened to all the individuals that were saying this would never happen just two days ago?

Um, I don't know maybe they don't need to say anything.  Would you?

Labadee used to be a favorite and common port for us, but since CC was revamped and the pier added, that's where we've been going.  We're scheduled for Labadee in March 2025, but we won't really miss it if they still aren't going there.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, AandBmom said:

I find it fascinating that this post has so few replies. What happened to all the individuals that were saying this would never happen just two days ago?

I wasn’t one who said they’d NEVER do this but, at this point, I’d kind of just like to hear Royal’s specific moves—which ships go where, instead. I presume they are busy booking replacement ports for the next several months to silence calls for refunds. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

image.png.b64901d796e9f16cd0302cbe313f03a4.png
If a replacement port is to be scheduled, it would be nice to give passengers enough early notification to actually book excursions before they are sold out. If you tell passengers 3 days out that they are going to Nassau, for example, the desirable excursions will be unavailable.

Edited by pyrateslife4me84
  • Like 2

I agree with the decision but I feel badly for the Hattian locals in Labadee that support the operation there.  Some work for RCCL and others are private vendors, tour operators and security.  This will be a blow to them and their families.

• Like 11

11 minutes ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

image.png.b64901d796e9f16cd0302cbe313f03a4.png
If a replacement port is to be scheduled, it would be nice to give passengers enough early notification to actually book excursions before they are sold out. If you tell passengers 3 days out that they are going to Nassau, for example, the desirable excursions will be unavailable.

Agreed.  Sailing next week and I would imagine we will be getting a replacement port and would love to have more than 3 days to be able to research excursions and plan the day.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, AandBmom said:

Some have disappeared.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AandBmom said:

3 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

Some have disappeared.

Who said Royal would never temporarily suspend Labadee as a Port-of-Call?

The only posts I recall seeing is that a marauding gang of 4,000 escaped prisoners would never pillage and plunder Labadee.  And so far, that hasn't happened. A little too early for the "I told you so" crowd to start crowing. You might want to wait until Royal announces that Labadee will be permanently shut down, should that ever happen.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, HBE4 said:

Who said Royal would never temporarily suspend Labadee as a Port-of-Call?

The only posts I recall seeing is that a marauding gang of 4,000 escaped prisoners would never pillage and plunder Labadee.  And so far, that hasn't happened. A little too early for the "I told you so" crowd to start crowing. You might want to wait until Royal announces that Labadee will be permanently shut down, should that ever happen.

why are you quoting my post?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

Some have disappeared.

I never said that Royal would never suspend Labadee stops. I merely pointed out that there have been Do Not Travel Advisories in the past as well to Haiti and Royal never suspended stopping there because of said advisory. 

I also pointed out the financial ramifications to the local Haitians that rely on tourist dollars from cruise passengers if Royal stopped going to Labadee.

I will still stand by my position that Labadee/Cruise ships in port are not in danger of being attacked by the civil unrest. 

Royal had to make a business decision in this matter and as others have pointed out, it may have to do with insurance and the growing negative PR and pushes from the more nervous, uninformed cruisers out there.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, UNCFanatik said:

I never said that Royal would never suspend Labadee stops. I merely pointed out that there have been Do Not Travel Advisories in the past as well to Haiti and Royal never suspended stopping there because of said advisory. 

I also pointed out the financial ramifications to the local Haitians that rely on tourist dollars from cruise passengers if Royal stopped going to Labadee.

I will still stand by my position that Labadee/Cruise ships in port are not in danger of being attacked by the civil unrest. 

Royal had to make a business decision in this matter and as others have pointed out, it may have to do with insurance and the growing negative PR and pushes from the more nervous, uninformed cruisers out there.

The POSTS have disappeared.  Not the posters.  

3 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

why are you quoting my post?

Because it's part of the conversation, we both quoted the same post and you seemed to be in agreement with the person we both quoted.

But if I misunderstood, I'll edit my post and remove the quoted post, if time allows.

I'm sorry y'all'll be missing a great port, but this is a rather unprecidented event.  

The real victims here are the honest citizens of Hati who are just trying to live their lives peacefully.  For them it's more than missing a beach day.  

• Like 10

I didn't post in that thread, but there was always a chance of closing or staying open. It's all speculation anyway. Could be back open next month, could be permanently abandoned. 

I just hope anyone disappointed with their itinerary change or short notice can think of how fortunate they are to live in a place that affords them the freedom and money to travel and enjoy cruising.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AandBmom said:

I don’t remember anyone saying that this wouldn’t happen.  I remember saying that there is no significant danger at Labadee. I said, that Royal is a public company, and they have to respond to pressure from the crazy people in the media and on social media.  

Hardly surprising.  Just kind of stupid and sad.

jc

• Like 8

Posted (edited)

In the letter I received it referenced booking new excursions for coco cay. Guess what there are none listed. Sure Anathem has them all booked up anyway. They still reference Haiti.

Edited by link99
Spelling

17 minutes ago, link99 said:

In the letter I received it referenced booking new excursions for coco cay. Guess what there are none listed. Sure Anathem has them all booked up anyway. They still reference Haiti.

They probably haven't added them yet.  We have had similar situations with ports changed last minute, added last minute...etc...  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Anton said:

We get Grand Turk as a substitute for the Adventure 8 night starting on Friday.  Not exactly an exciting stop but it is what it is.

Hammer some beers at Jacks Shack, not so bad!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, xpcdoojk said:

I don’t remember anyone saying that this wouldn’t happen.  I remember saying that there is no significant danger at Labadee. I said, that Royal is a public company, and they have to respond to pressure from the crazy people in the media and on social media.  

Hardly surprising.  Just kind of stupid and sad.

jc

There wasn't one single post that said that this would never happen. As you said, there were lots of posts saying that the same state dept warning had been in effect since July 2023 and Haiti has been a basket case for a very very long time and that Royal will act prudently and in their own best interest, which is keeping passengers safe...

"Royal will stop going to Labadee if it becomes unsafe to be there.  To suggest that there is risk that Royal is ignoring is preposterous.  Who knows... tomorrow they could decide to cancel.  However, I have 100% confidence that the situation is being monitored and should circumstances change for Labadee Royal will make other arrangements. "

My quote from the previous thread above  ☝️. That others want to mischaracterize that discussion or are ducking this discussion is instructive in and of itself.

Hopefully the marauding band of 4000 criminals in Port-Au-Prince won't find their way to Labadee and steal all the floating beach mats.  I love those things.

😇

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

There wasn't one single post that said that this would never happen

Oh, yes there were.

I'm going back and slowly finding them. Many post were combined with other because of so many threads. It's work to find, but they are there.

One said "There won't be any change to labadee from this"

It won't let me quote locked posts? But they are there.

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I'm surprised RC made this call, especially after the PM resigned. 

But I'm guessing this decision was made for liability reasons,  not actual safety concerns. 

Or possibly because people were starting to cancel or not book cruises that went there

• Like 3

Sigh!

it’s insurance folks!

The standard (and not unreasonable) defence of “You should have taken out travel insurance!” Leaves you corporately vulnerable when said insurance won’t cover the risk that you are then potentially opening yourself up to redirected claims from.

That risk isn’t just from “armed hoards storming the battlement’s” it is from anything and anywhere that the now invalid policy might otherwise have covered.

• Like 5