Labadee canceled

We have a 5 day on April 8th on the Independance. Nassau is our onlyl other stop, so been waiting to hear what will happen for us. We really didn't want to go to Haiti after all that's happened, but not cancelling our trip. We just decided to stay on the ship and I'm certain RCI won't put anyone lives in danger. 

Many years ago we missed the port because there was some kind of protest. There were people in boats waving flags so the captain decided it wasn't safe to get off. I'd rather be safe and miss a port if needed.

• Like 3

On 3/13/2024 at 7:15 PM, fla33023 said:

We're on Indy 3/21 with Labadee 3/23. Guess I'll keep an eye on my email.

I will also be on this ship at the same time and I wish they would just let us know what the plan is.  I really hope they change something up!  Would love to do key west or something other than Labadee.  I doubt they would give us another sea day since Labadee was the only stop of this ship. 

1 hour ago, JWR1011 said:

I will also be on this ship at the same time and I wish they would just let us know what the plan is.  I really hope they change something up!  Would love to do key west or something other than Labadee.  I doubt they would give us another sea day since Labadee was the only stop of this ship. 

Ship is too big for Key West. I'd take Grand Turk or Puerto Plata though.

• Like 1

Ok, not to keep this thread going coz it's a dead horse. But....

If the ships make last minute port changes, how do the port fees/taxes work? Just wondering how, if, and when folks will get hit with the possibility of this on the daily right now at sea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DennysDad said:

If the ships make last minute port changes, how do the port fees/taxes work? Just wondering how, if, and when folks will get hit with the possibility of this on the daily right now at sea.

I'm curious about this too!  Wouldn't they be making arrangements asap and who do they have to notify of an change? I recall listening to a podcast that one of the major cruise lines had to do all kinds of repositioning notifications just to change course to avoid a possible collision with a falling satellite. 

4 hours ago, DennysDad said:

They wouldnt bill for the extra if they reroute you but you also may not get a refund if port fees are less. Rcl says their policy is each ship can decide if it wants to refund any overage of port fees. ..I wrote and asked their policy. Oasis had a extra sea day.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

They wouldnt bill for the extra if they reroute you but you also may not get a refund if port fees are less. Rcl says their policy is each ship can decide if it wants to refund any overage of port fees. ..I wrote and asked their policy. Oasis had a extra sea day.

Thanks. I'm not even scheduled to go there this year, but was wondering how port fees are handled in these kind of situations. 

(Never use to care. But port fees and taxes have gone up so much lately.)

It will be interesting to see what port (if any) replaces Labadee on our 6-night on Adventure in April since we are already scheduled to stop at Nassau and Puerto Plata, DR.

15 hours ago, DennysDad said:

3-day old threads that discuss legitimate issues rarely become dead horses...😇🐴

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, orville99 said:

3-day old threads that discuss legitimate issues rarely become dead horses...😇🐴

Yes, the horse is always ready if the discussion is productive. Trumpet playing before the start of a race. "And they're off!"

🐎

• Like 1

5 hours ago, orville99 said:

It will be interesting to see what port (if any) replaces Labadee on our 6-night on Adventure in April since we are already scheduled to stop at Nassau and Puerto Plata, DR.

By April, they may be stopping at Labadee again, the current cessation of service is only for 7 days

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

By April, they may be stopping at Labadee again, the current cessation of service is only for 7 days

With a relook so I highly doubt in 7 days anything will happen that will change the current status.

• Like 2

On 3/14/2024 at 11:04 AM, Another_Critic said:

My first cruise in 1987 -> Miami to San Juan, St. Thomas, Labadee to Miami

Sovereign of the Seas?

Labadee was so primitive.   I bought a carved wood dog (or maybe it's a pig with a straight tail) and still have it on display.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

Sovereign of the Seas?

Labadee was so primitive.   I bought a carved wood dog (or maybe it's a pig with a straight tail) and still have it on display.

Song of America.  Sovereign didn't start sailing until Jan. 1988.

On 3/15/2024 at 5:43 PM, DennysDad said:

You paid what you paid. If the port is cancelled, you will get an onboard credit of a couple dollars.

16 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

You might want to run for office within the Haitian government. I hear there are some openings. Maybe Secretary of Tourism?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 3/13/2024 at 7:15 PM, fla33023 said:

We're on Indy 3/21 with Labadee 3/23. Guess I'll keep an eye on my email.

Will you please keep us all posted?  We are on that same itinerary April 4

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, caribsun said:

Sure nice of Carnival to allow RCL to dock at Grand Turk. 

So is this the actual case? My one and only Carnival sailing went to Grand Turk and I was unaware Royal stopped there at all, ever, until this. Was it essentially a Carnival (and their brands) exclusive? I had a surprisingly nice day there.

Edited by CanobieFan

55 minutes ago, CanobieFan said:

So is this the actual case? My one and only Carnival sailing went to Grand Turk and I was unaware Royal stopped there at all, ever, until this. Was it essentially a Carnival (and their brands) exclusive? I had a surprisingly nice day there.

Have never seen it as a stop for Royal, but I don’t look at every single sailing, but pretty sure it has not been an option.  It would be a nice option.