Labadee canceled

29 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Have never seen it as a stop for Royal, but I don’t look at every single sailing, but pretty sure it has not been an option.  It would be a nice option.  

Grand Turk is really only used by RCCL as an emergency replacement. It's very, very rare for RCCL to have Grand Turk as a scheduled stop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caribsun said:

Sure nice of Carnival to allow RCL to dock at Grand Turk. 

1 hour ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I assume cash is changing hands, but maybe I'm just a hard hearted cynic. 👹

1 hour ago, CanobieFan said:

So is this the actual case? My one and only Carnival sailing went to Grand Turk and I was unaware Royal stopped there at all, ever, until this. Was it essentially a Carnival (and their brands) exclusive? I had a surprisingly nice day there.

I don't know if Royal stops there on the regular but they are allowed to. NCL as well . Carnival gets to keep 75% of port taxes collected.  There is a list in this link.

https://www.visittci.com/getting-here/cruises

Didn't Royal build the pier at Falmouth, Jamaica? Or was part of a joint venture. But they'll let other lines use it. I guess there is a reciprocal agreement among competing cruise lines when it comes to non-private islands?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Grand turk is a nice stop if you just want to mill about for a couple hours. Food, shops, pool and ample beach space right there at the port.

I think it’s a reasonable replacement for Labadee and I’d certainly take it over Nassau…

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I'm on Oasis leaving March 24th.  I'm praying if we don't go to Labadee we don't to two days in Falmouth.  I think that is the the change they are doing this week.  I don't want to stay there two days in a row.  It is their own port and can only handle Falmouth 1 day.  

Edited by tmann4

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Grand turk is a nice stop if you just want to mill about for a couple hours. Food, shops, pool and ample beach space right there at the port.

Which is exactly what I did today during our Adventure stop.  And it’s what I do when on Carnival stopping here at Grand Turk.  As you well know, there is not much else to do here.  Water is beautiful and clear.  People are pleasant, even on what was supposed to be their off day until we pulled in on short notice. And you can drop $32 on two frozen concoctions in 12 ounce plastic cups, just like I was on the ship.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Anton said:

Which is exactly what I did today during our Adventure stop.  And it’s what I do when on Carnival stopping here at Grand Turk.  As you well know, there is not much else to do here.  Water is beautiful and clear.  People are pleasant, even on what was supposed to be their off day until we pulled in on short notice. And you can drop $32 on two frozen concoctions in 12 ounce plastic cups, just like I was on the ship.

Though $5 for beer

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Harrisonkid said:

I'm sure Royal has to Up Pay to stop at Grand Turk to Carnival or to Someone!! ..wonder if they will upcharge us passengers if it exceeds what Labadee would have cost ?

No...there will be no charge...only a refund if applicable. 

Posted (edited)
On 3/16/2024 at 3:04 PM, BND said:

With a relook so I highly doubt in 7 days anything will happen that will change the current status.

Given the fact that the gangs have taken over and shut down the airport in Cap Hatien and effectively control access to the Labadee area, the situation is not likely to get better any time soon

Edited by orville99
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Given the fact that the gangs have taken over and shut down the airport in Cap Hatien and effectively control access to the Labadee area, the situation is not likely to get better any time soon

No. I wish they’d cancel further out. There’s no hope of imminent improvement in the situation. 

40 minutes ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

No. I wish they’d cancel further out. There’s no hope of imminent improvement in the situation. 

They probably will, but only so far.   They're probably not going to cancel 6 mos to a year out so just take the info as it comes.

57 minutes ago, orville99 said:

You have a link to this? The usa is using cap Haitian airport for embassy evacuations

Honestly, when the United States of America has to evacuate the embassy, it's bad. I personally feel Royal Caribbean pushed it too far, and cut it too close with it's cut off date. I think a month ago would have been better. Just my opinion.

As far as the future. Cancel at least a months worth at a time. Give people the chance to plan excursions etc for wherever they will go instead. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

And very safe. No chain-link fence, private security mall cop with AK and aggressive vendors hounding you along the footpath to the beach.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Anton said:

Drinks are half the price if you walk down the beach. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, toad455 said:

I believe Grand Turk can only hold two ships. There's not much to do there and, honestly, more than two ships would feel very crowded.

It's basically a beach day.  We've been there a couple of times.  We've done beach and pool. Funny thing.  Our first time there (Carnival cruise) the pool was busy until it rained.  People left and we got great seats there for the afternoon.  It was a typical tropical downpour that was over quickly. We've done beaches several times where it rained for a bit and people ran lol.  It is just a relaxing day at the  pool or beach.  It's not meant for a lot of people.  Both times we were there, we were the only ship.

15 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

You have a link to this? The usa is using cap Haitian airport for embassy evacuations

Cap-Hatien airport is being utilized for evacuation flights but travel to the airport is extremely dangerous. 

https://dailycaller.com/2024/03/16/biden-administration-state-department-americans-stuck-haiti-evacuation-point-themselves/

On 3/13/2024 at 6:33 PM, link99 said:

Here we go just received this email

Due to the evolving situation in Haiti, and in an abundance of caution, we’re temporarily suspending our visits to Labadee for our entire fleet. We continue to monitor and assess the situation with our Global Security & Intelligence Team. We’ll now enjoy a visit to Perfect Day at CocoCay instead of visiting Labadee. We’re sorry for any inconvenience caused by these changes. Nevertheless, we’re excited to take you to a new port! Below, please find our revised Explorer of the Seas March 17th, 2024, itinerary.

Day

Port of Call

Arrive

Depart

Sun

Miami, Florida

4:00 PM

Mon

Cruising

Tue

Falmouth, Jamaica

7:30 AM

4:00 PM

Wed

Cruising

Thu

Perfect Day at CocoCay

7:00 AM

5:00 PM

Fri

Miami, Florida

6:00 AM

Your Time in Perfect Day at CocoCay

There’s a reason we named it Perfect Day at CocoCay – because it’s truly a perfect day! Our chill seekers can sunbathe in a private Overwater Cabana or enjoy a drink at the swim-up bar in the largest freshwater pool in the Caribbean, Oasis Lagoon™! Thrill seekers can bounce, climb and swing their way through the obstacles in Adventure Pool, or take on the tallest slide in North America – Daredevil's Peak®. Whether you’re looking for thrills or simply want to kick back and chill, Perfect Day at CocoCay has you covered! 

Shore Excursions

Any pre-paid Royal Caribbean International shore excursions booked for Labadee will automatically be refunded to your original form of payment. In the meantime, feel free to browse all the exciting shore excursion options for your sailing in My Royal Cruise to level up your vacation.

Thank you for your understanding. We can’t wait to welcome you onboard Explorer of the Seas!

Sincerely,

Aurora Yera-Rodriguez
AVP | Guest Experience
Royal Caribbean International

space
space
Royal Caribbean Logo
space
space
space
space
© 2024 Royal Caribbean International. Use of our various websites, mobile application(s), kiosks,
and other digital platforms are subject to our Terms of Use.

You are receiving this email message because you are booked on a Royal Caribbean International cruise.
This email is informational only. 

Be sure to save Royal Caribbean International Express Notification Alerts and noreply@everbridge.net to your contacts,
to ensure you receive all the important updates regarding your booking.

Royal Caribbean Intl.
1050 Caribbean Way Miami, FL 33132
www.royalcaribbean.com
space

cococay such a big improvement over Labadee. Have just got off the Icon and CoCo cay was perhaps the best stop.  We have a scheduled cruise on the Symphony in August- Hope it stops two times in CoCo Cay and forget labadee-

2 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

cococay such a big improvement over Labadee. Have just got off the Icon and CoCo cay was perhaps the best stop.  We have a scheduled cruise on the Symphony in August- Hope it stops two times in CoCo Cay and forget labadee-

I think its a matter of perspective. CocoCay is great with tons to do but I feel Labadee has more natural beauty with the Mountains in the back drop. Labadee has more trails to explore as well. And you get a little more local flair at Labadee than Coco Cay. 

I hope that Royal resumes stopping at Labadee again. I have only been there once and would love to go there again. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

It was a report I saw on one of the National News networks.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/18/us/haiti-state-department-charter-flight/index.html

I think this excerpt is referring to the airport in Port Au Prince and not Cap Haitien. 

But it would be once harrowing journey if you had to make it from Port Au Prince to Cap Haitien to be evacuated.

"Cap-Haitien is more than 100 miles from Haiti’s capital, Port-au-Prince, where the airport has been under siege by gangs amid fighting between the clans and police in the surrounding area."