The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday March 19th,

kazu

Hello all and thanks for all the reports and postings. Some interesting things going on!

Best wishes to all who are facing medical issues; I'll refrain from telling you mine until we know each other better.

It's a nice 68 degrees and sunny here right now. Of course, an hour from now it could be hailing or winter again. I just finished feeding our 3 dogs and 3 cats (the cats are at least twice as big as the dogs). Here's the newest addition, Coco, who my wife Kim just brought back with her from Thailand. They are long-hair chihuahuas, but her long hair will come in the next few months.

image.thumb.jpeg.aaf14fb16ecaa76e0835186da9b6b03a.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

...Here's the newest addition, Coco, who my wife Kim just brought back with her from Thailand. They are long-hair chihuahuas, but her long hair will come in the next few months.

Congrats on the new fur baby. Coco is a cutie who looks like she could be a handful 😏

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Congrats on the new fur baby. Coco is a cutie who looks like she could be a handful 😏

You called it! She's full time non-stop. One of the cats - who considers himself the boss - was really irritated at first and took a couple of swipes at her; but now sometimes when the cat is comfortable, lying in "cat position",  she will almost stand on his head, and he just lies there ignoring it.

• Like 7
  • Haha 6

36 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good afternoon.  While the sun makes it seem hot standing in the sun, it is cooler outside than inside.  It the first time we've been able to open the house during the day.  We usually open it after dinner, and always at night in the bedroom.  The laundry is off the line, folded and put away.  I've also gone through the food in the pantry and the storeroom to see what was really out of date.  This year, there was very little to toss, and it went in the trash pickup today.  

Vanessa, I'm so sorry the pain is coming back, and I hope you can find something that will help longer than two weeks. I'm glad you got to visit with you British friends, but sorry you were in so much pain.  

Graham, you are Sarah's real parents, the ones that basically raised her, taught her how to be a loving caring person, and the ones who were there for her when things were at their worst.

Annie, FWIW, I had an implant in 2004, and I have not had any problems with it.  Back then, the oral surgeon, not my regular dentist, drilled out the root because the tooth failed under the crown.  At that time he put the post in, and I had to wait four months until the bone grew around the post to have the rest of the implant put in.  I think they do it a bit differently now.  I'm sorry your DH is having to deal with the jaw bone disintegrating.  It mush be very painful and disheartening.

Kazu, there are different ages when you can begin drawing Social Security.  While the  SS official Full Retirement Age is 66 and two months and heading to 67, you can begin drawing SS benefits, at a smaller amount, at 62.  You are eligible for the full amount when you reach FRA which depends on the year you were born.  For some people who had higher earnings, waiting until 70 to start receiving SS benefits is best.  Sadly, our government does not do things the easy way.

Lenda

Thank you Lenda.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Hello all and thanks for all the reports and postings. Some interesting things going on!

Best wishes to all who are facing medical issues; I'll refrain from telling you mine until we know each other better.

It's a nice 68 degrees and sunny here right now. Of course, an hour from now it could be hailing or winter again. I just finished feeding our 3 dogs and 3 cats (the cats are at least twice as big as the dogs). Here's the newest addition, Coco, who my wife Kim just brought back with her from Thailand. They are long-hair chihuahuas, but her long hair will come in the next few months.

Welcome from England.

Coco looks lovely.

Graham.

• Like 7

Good day and thanks all!  I am sorry so many are suffering and send gentle hugs to all! yikes on the age 70!  
@JazzyV thanks for the kind wishes for DH.  He is doing well, thankfully.  
@kazu praying for some good news! 
@Haljo1935 hoping you get some answers!

@grapau27 I have no words!  Perhaps Sarah could place her own obituary or do something meaningful for her! 

Well today is the  calm before the storm,  a lot of snow on its way tonight! Sigh! 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Yesterday the weather was perfect and we enjoyed the scenic cruising amongst the thousands of islands here in the Philippines as we sailed to Manila. Our Filipino crew was excited as many got to see family last night and today.

We just love our crew.

Enjoyed a great meal last night at the Chefs Indian dinner table.

Have an early excursion and need to get ready.  Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.f2795cce4fd2fc7567fd8ea5a56cdfc8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.3ebcadba2e2e2aecaa9809ee48c71680.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.52dc123f561451319c234fb840576445.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.960c3f50be8e3decb713ca595d0b480d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a9d5e86e374b5a1cae31077ec2ca1a25.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.1ce4ad62c04b58c6406f130987a9cec7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c6a1091dd7daddae10a56967b3aa1a9a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c5e367ff36dadb0018d035c004ed4e22.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.0ebd607c52530f1db0cb8c74059184e8.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good day and thanks all!  I am sorry so many are suffering and send gentle hugs to all! yikes on the age 70!  

@grapau27 I have no words!  Perhaps Sarah could place her own obituary or do something meaningful for her! 

Well today is the  calm before the storm,  a lot of snow on its way tonight! Sigh! 

The writing style on the obituary is her dad's so we think as he knew his cancer was terminal he wrote it and his wife just had to add the relevant dates in.

The city newspaper obituary notices leave the ability for people to leave messages online but no one has and we have no intention to do so.

We believe if we cannot say anything nice we will say nothing at all.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

It is Gabapentin. 

If you're willing to share, does the Rasagiline help?

Thanks for answering. The Rasagiline seems to help. I’m also on Gabapentin , I take one at night. It does make me sleepy and I think it makes me dream.

Gabapentin is reasonable in price.

Edited by 1ANGELCAT
  • Like 7

Posted (edited)

I’m late posting today.  We got home last night from our Amazon Explorer to find an industrial dehumidifier and numerous commercial fans in our condo.  A water leak occurred in a unit two floors above us.  They indicated the equipment will be here until Thursday or Friday.

We stopped in Colombo, Sri Lanka, for the day almost exactly five years ago while on the Amsterdam.  We took a long excursion to see the elephants at the Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage.  Our first stop involved walking down a pedestrian street, which is shared with the elephants, to a river where they bring elephants for their baths.  We ate lunch at a very nice hotel before walking back to the main road where the orphanage is located.  The word for the day was HOT.  The air conditioned bus ride back to the ship was a welcomed relief, provided you didn’t watch all the crazy driving around you.

IMG_5032.thumb.jpeg.fc48ac6a93400aa6602a998cb0c46445.jpeg

IMG_5031.thumb.jpeg.034f5a23e147736c2fea9dfbf98c1d2e.jpeg

IMG_5025.thumb.jpeg.49bde2dde87845288215a14485b38e68.jpeg

IMG_5027.thumb.jpeg.f0be941e9a411df59439626e716e893f.jpeg

This statue was outside a stationary store.

IMG_5029.thumb.jpeg.a11c70b3eb360fde9259f185f207edc4.jpeg

IMG_5030.thumb.jpeg.2d1e492f0de911b56479e20846ddc479.jpeg

IMG_5028.thumb.jpeg.64c38451bb8497f6538990177651e85b.jpeg

Edited by Mtn2Sea
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Mtn2Sea said:

I’m late posting today.  We got home last night from our Amazon Explorer to find an industrial dehumidifier and numerous commercial fans in our condo.  A water leak occurred in a unit two floors above us.

Welcome home!  Not quite the reception you would have liked with fans in your condo.  I hope nothing was damaged 🤞 

39 minutes ago, bennybear said:

that’s a really good idea.  It wouldn’t even have to be published.  She could just write it and get some emotions out.  It might be helpful to do so?

39 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Well DAM, aren’t you glad spring is here?  (Full sarcasm intended 😉)

1 hour ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Here's the newest addition, Coco, who my wife Kim just brought back with her from Thailand. They are long-hair chihuahuas, but her long hair will come in the next few months.

What a cutie!!   I see trouble in those eyes (the good kind).   Curious about your Kim bringing it back from Thailand.  I assume it was arranged in advance?  Must have been one pile of paperwork.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Just now, kazu said:

What a cutie!!   I see trouble in those eyes (the good kind).   Curious about your Kim bringing it back from Thailand.  I assume it was arranged in advance?  Must have been one pile of paperwork.

You're right about that. A major investment in making sure we had all the forms filled out correctly, then getting the necessary vaccines, etc. in Thailand. Then, when Coco was six months old, the application with all the info gets sent to the CDC for approval. But long-haired Chihuahuas are very expensive here, but not much in Thailand.

Here are the two that came 8 years ago; there was no such paperwork back then, just verification of the vaccines. Naenae and Samantha.

• Like 10

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

It is Gabapentin. 

If you're willing to share, does the Rasagiline help?

Elizabeth, I started on Gabapentin about 4 years ago when taking Humira for my eye condition caused a burning sensation in my arms and legs. I tolerated it pretty well, taking 4 a day (more made be stumble around). I tried going off last year, but the burning came back. With this new nerve compression issue, the neurosurgeon increased me to 7 a day. I don't think I have any bad effect, but it hasn't really helped the nerve pain.

1 hour ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

I just finished feeding our 3 dogs and 3 cats (the cats are at least twice as big as the dogs). Here's the newest addition, Coco, who my wife Kim just brought back with her from Thailand. They are long-hair chihuahuas, but her long hair will come in the next few months.

Oh, the mischievous look on her face! Thanks for sharing the others as well.

34 minutes ago, Mtn2Sea said:

I’m late posting today.  We got home last night from our Amazon Explorer to find an industrial dehumidifier and numerous commercial fans in our condo.  A water leak occurred in a unit two floors above us.  They indicated the equipment will be here until Thursday or Friday.

Oh no! I hope no damage occurred. That sounds like what I had when my radiator sprang a leak during the night, sending water onto the hardwood floors. And great photos from Colombo. I love the elephant pictures.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

I had the same idea about the obituary - not so much to honor her dad, but to point out he did have a daughter he chose to ignore.

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

The writing style on the obituary is her dad's so we think as he knew his cancer was terminal he wrote it and his wife just had to add the relevant dates in.

The city newspaper obituary notices leave the ability for people to leave messages online but no one has and we have no intention to do so.

We believe if we cannot say anything nice we will say nothing at all.

You are much kinder than I in this circumstance, and probably for the better.  Sarah's mom is a sad case.  As another poster said, you and Pauline are her real parents.  Those people who live next door are just DNA donors.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Coco is a cattie, but what mischief is she plotting?

1 hour ago, Mtn2Sea said:

We stopped in Colombo, Sri Lanka, for the day almost exactly five years ago while on the Amsterdam.  We took a long excursion to see the elephants at the Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage.  Our first stop involved walking down a pedestrian street, which is shared with the elephants, to a river where they bring elephants for their baths.  We ate lunch at a very nice hotel before walking back to the main road where the orphanage is located.  The word for the day was HOT.  The air conditioned bus ride back to the ship was a welcomed relief, provided you didn’t watch all the crazy driving around you.

IMG_5032.thumb.jpeg.fc48ac6a93400aa6602a998cb0c46445.jpeg

IMG_5031.thumb.jpeg.034f5a23e147736c2fea9dfbf98c1d2e.jpeg

IMG_5025.thumb.jpeg.49bde2dde87845288215a14485b38e68.jpeg

IMG_5027.thumb.jpeg.f0be941e9a411df59439626e716e893f.jpeg

This statue was outside a stationary store.

IMG_5029.thumb.jpeg.a11c70b3eb360fde9259f185f207edc4.jpeg

IMG_5030.thumb.jpeg.2d1e492f0de911b56479e20846ddc479.jpeg

IMG_5028.thumb.jpeg.64c38451bb8497f6538990177651e85b.jpeg

Welcome home, but I wish it had been a better kind of welcome.  Thanks for the pictures from Colombo and of the elephants.

Lenda

• Like 5

@jazzyv - I was supposed to increase my Gabapentin after about 8 weeks post-op - only did it for a couple of days - too sleepy.  Went back to 300 mg at bedtime for a few weeks but now taking it morning & night - still having hip & thigh pain but it's not waking me up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Thanks for answering. The Rasagiline seems to help. I’m also on Gabapentin , I take one at night. It does make me sleepy and I think it makes me dream.

Gabapentin is reasonable in price.

Dr said he would stair step the dosage, gradually increasing it. I don't remember the amounts, but do recall him saying I would take 3 times/day. I work on a computer all day, so am concerned about my ability to do that with increasing tremors and blurry vision. If I could get one issue under control, navigating the other might not seem so daunting. 

Falling asleep on my computer won't win me top producer 🥴 I have to laugh to keep the tears at bay.

The number foot doesn't impact my use of the computer, lol, so maybe he's right I just live with it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Elizabeth, I started on Gabapentin about 4 years ago when taking Humira for my eye condition caused a burning sensation in my arms and legs. I tolerated it pretty well, taking 4 a day (more made be stumble around). I tried going off last year, but the burning came back. With this new nerve compression issue, the neurosurgeon increased me to 7 a day. I don't think I have any bad effect, but it hasn't really helped the nerve pain.

Thank you for the info. Insurance has not approved filling it yet as they're waiting on something additional from the doctor. His initial response was "my signed prescription is my letter of medical necessity" but I did tell him at my appointment last week that they were still waiting on him. So, maybe he will follow up with them and I will consider this waiting time the Universe way of providing me time to do my due diligence rather than blindly jumping in. He is prescribing it off label for me for tremors.

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

@jazzyv - I was supposed to increase my Gabapentin after about 8 weeks post-op - only did it for a couple of days - too sleepy.  Went back to 300 mg at bedtime for a few weeks but now taking it morning & night - still having hip & thigh pain but it's not waking me up.

Drowsiness is one of the common side effects that I've read. How are people supposed to function when they're tired? Whether from lack of sleep or meds - sleepy is sleepy.  Good to hear the pain is not waking you up.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

🤷‍♀️

9 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

@Haljo1935, I retired when I turned 65 but had already taken early SS at 62. So that meant I could only work so many hours per week to keep getting my monthly benefits. It was a good arrangement but I hated that job, I never felt like it fit. But as a friend told me once, sometimes you have to have a job you hate to make ends meet. I decided to get early SS because the numbers for my work history weren’t worth waiting for full benefits since I mostly worked part time most of my working life with only about 10 years of full time work. Anyway my situation doesn’t help you but as you can see it pays to check the numbers for your own situation and work history....

I appreciate the info and insight from you @Quartzsite Cruiser @RMLincoln @JazzyV @dfish @kazu @Sharon in AZ @marshhawk  @1ANGELCAT @0106 @bennybear and anyone I am failing to include (sincere apologies to anyone I failed to mention).

I agree the SSA site has good calculators to know what you can receive when - it's just taking the time to do the math, etc when one had not planned for it at this time. Born in 1961, I am at the lowest level of benefits if I draw them now. I have been planning to work as long as possible & collect SS benefits at the highest level, so this is a big change.

When it became obvious to me that health conditions were going to negatively impact work, I started checking into SS disability. The biggest wake up for me was learning you have to be below a certain earnings threshold for 6 months before you can file and if you go above that threshold, the clock starts over. When PCP recommended an LOA, I thought that would give me the opportunity to work through the SS disability process (does anybody get approved w/o going through a denial & appeals process?), file for STD then LTD if necessary. So PCP giving me grief about the papers is a bit of a stumbling block. So, I am not eligible to file at this time and am at least 6 months out from being eligible.

During that time, I would be a addressing the physical stuff (PT, surgery, more PT, adjusting to meds, etc).

It's a lot at one time then to feel like I've joined a track team jumping hurdles... Ugh

My mother had bad tremors - mine are worse at this age than hers were, so I feel like I've seen my future and it worries me. Hers were in 1 hand only - mine are now starting on the other side, too. She was already not working when hers started, so I don't have experience watching someone navigate that transition. I greatly appreciate the feedback, input, recommendations and anything else you want to send my way - I read it all even if I don't comment. And prayers - I'm always receptive to prayers.❤️

Edited by Haljo1935
And darn boss added an early morning call for us w/his boss for tomorrow. Maybe she'll show up this time and the work issue will resolve itself.
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

@Haljo1935 sending prayers! These transitions are very tough.  I have read that a huge percentage of retirements are due to health issues.  It makes it more complicated for sure!  Gentle hugs!  

If anyone could spare a few prayers for DS,  his master’s defence is tomorrow!   They would be greatly appreciated 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, bennybear said:

@Haljo1935 sending prayers! These transitions are very tough.  I have read that a huge percentage of retirements are due to health issues.  It makes it more complicated for sure!  Gentle hugs!  

If anyone could spare a few prayers for DS,  his master’s defence is tomorrow!   They would be greatly appreciated 

Thank you.

Prayers and positive thoughts for your DS!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Brenda, sending very positive thoughts to your DS for his master's defense  tomorrow.

Lendda

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

🤷‍♀️

I appreciate the info and insight from you @Quartzsite Cruiser @RMLincoln @JazzyV @dfish @kazu @Sharon in AZ @marshhawk  @1ANGELCAT @0106 @bennybear and anyone I am failing to include (sincere apologies to anyone I failed to mention).

I agree the SSA site has good calculators to know what you can receive when - it's just taking the time to do the math, etc when one had not planned for it at this time. Born in 1961, I am at the lowest level of benefits if I draw them now. I have been planning to work as long as possible & collect SS benefits at the highest level, so this is a big change.

When it became obvious to me that health conditions were going to negatively impact work, I started checking into SS disability. The biggest wake up for me was learning you have to be below a certain earnings threshold for 6 months before you can file and if you go above that threshold, the clock starts over. When PCP recommended an LOA, I thought that would give me the opportunity to work through the SS disability process (does anybody get approved w/o going through a denial & appeals process?), file for STD then LTD if necessary. So PCP giving me grief about the papers is a bit of a stumbling block. So, I am not eligible to file at this time and am at least 6 months out from being eligible.

During that time, I would be a addressing the physical stuff (PT, surgery, more PT, adjusting to meds, etc).

It's a lot at one time then to feel like I've joined a track team jumping hurdles... Ugh

My mother had bad tremors - mine are worse at this age than hers were, so I feel like I've seen my future and it worries me. Hers were in 1 hand only - mine are now starting on the other side, too. She was already not working when hers started, so I don't have experience watching someone navigate that transition. I greatly appreciate the feedback, input, recommendations and anything else you want to send my way - I read it all even if I don't comment. And prayers - I'm always receptive to prayers.❤️

if your spouse’s SS benefit is greater than yours, better talk to someone expert about what happens if you start your own benefits early.  I think there are workarounds, but you could be locked into your lower benefit and be unable to step up to the higher amount, should your spouse die before you.  (This is fresh in my mind, because this is my Full Retirement year, 66 1/2.  DH gets much more than me, so I waited to Full Retirement, just to be cautious about it.)

Rules change all the time, but that’s been the general rule.  Of course, Disability is entirely different.  
Wishing you all the best sorting through this, and if I repeated what somebody else already said, I apologize for that.  I just felt it to be important.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, dfish said:

I had the same idea about the obituary - not so much to honor her dad, but to point out he did have a daughter he chose to ignore.

You are much kinder than I in this circumstance, and probably for the better.  Sarah's mom is a sad case.  As another poster said, you and Pauline are her real parents.  Those people who live next door are just DNA donors.  

Father David married Sarah 20 years ago but she got divorced 10 years ago and single so if her mother tries to omit her from the Eulogy in church Father David will tell her.

None of us are going to his funeral.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1