Lobster in MDR

Hudson's had lobster as a $25 up-charge on the menu the first night on Prima. The person who got it said it was great and there were two large tails for that price.

NCL hasn't had lobster in complimentary venues in years. 

They do have menu options from Cagney's which include lobster tail(s).

Actually tried the twin tails just recently and was pleasantly surprised; very tender and sweet. 

Will do so, again. 😋

Technically, the answer is that they DO serve lobster in the MDR and it's every night.  However, as noted, you pay for it.  It's part of the Cagney's supplement to the menu, some of the Cagney's meals are available for a fee.

You can have a vile lobster sauce with ravioli every night in the main dining room. It's on the appetizer section - I believe it's one of the appetizers that does not rotate, so is available always. I'm sure a keen eyed observer will correct me if I got anything wrong. So yes, lobster is available every night, included in your fare. You just have to slobber up some sauce to get the taste and it's not a good taste, either. 

7 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

You can have a vile lobster sauce with ravioli every night in the main dining room. It's on the appetizer section - I believe it's one of the appetizers that does not rotate, so is available always. I'm sure a keen eyed observer will correct me if I got anything wrong. So yes, lobster is available every night, included in your fare. You just have to slobber up some sauce to get the taste and it's not a good taste, either. 

You are correct, the lobster sauce with ravioli is on the MDR menu every night.  I have had it many times but ask for no sauce, just ravioli with butter as I do not like lobster.  

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'm figuring the "Lobster sauce" is nothing more then lobster stock made from boiling the shells and other inedible lobster parts...My DW did get the two Lobster tails for an upcharge in MDR the last night of our Feb. cruise. She really enjoyed them and thought they were worth the upcharge..

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

You can have a vile lobster sauce with ravioli every night in the main dining room. It's on the appetizer section

Vile? Interesting how food is so subjective. I love the "vile" lobster sauce.

• Thanks 1

Does NCL still have Prime Rib in the MDR or the buffet at least one evening?  If not, has anyone ever ordered it from Cagneys?  Prime Rib has always been one of those cruise “indulgences” like a pina colada or escargot so I hope I can still get it somewhere on board.

Bought twin lobster tails one night and surf and turf another night on the Bliss a week ago- both were terrific!  Highly recommend!!

IMG_7127.jpeg

IMG_6578.jpeg

• Like 1

On 3/29/2024 at 1:10 AM, complawyer said:

last time we had lobster in  the mdr had to be at least 7-8 years ago, and i commented they looked like shrimp on steroids

I remember on the Gem in a non-Haven 2-bedroom suite, we used to order lobster tails from the butler to have in our cabin at sailaway, with the comp bottle of bubbly that actually tasted good.  Was a celebratory way to start our cruise!  No extra charge because lobster was always on the main dining room menu the first night.

Then NCL stopped offering any lobster.  In La Cucina, lobster fra diavolo became shrimp fra diavolo, and so on.  I asked why no lobster at every CC Meet & Greet, and always got the same stock answer - the supply wasn’t up to NCL standards re uniform size.  Found this hilarious, as other cruise lines continued serving lobster.

Then, shortly before COVID shut down cruising, NCL put lobster items back on the menu, but with a surcharge.  Now they’ve added a surcharge for beef fillet in Le Bisteo.  It’s kind of sad.

• Like 1

Frozen lobster tails never did it for me.  Take an NCL cruise with port stops in Maine or the Canadian Maritimes and have a lunch with a live (fresh-killed) steamed whole lobster.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PatJim said:

Then, shortly before COVID shut down cruising, NCL put lobster items back on the menu, but with a surcharge.  Now they’ve added a surcharge for beef fillet in Le Bisteo.  It’s kind of sad.

The surcharge for the beef filet at Le Bistro is for the foie gras which I hate.

2 hours ago, FLAHAM said:

Frozen lobster tails never did it for me.  Take an NCL cruise with port stops in Maine or the Canadian Maritimes and have a lunch with a live (fresh-killed) steamed whole lobster.

Yes!  We’ve done quite a few Canada/New England cruises, and always have a lobster lunch in every port😋 Our last cruise there was a September 2022 Bermuda cruise, that was switched to C/NE night before, but that’s another story…

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

The surcharge for the beef filet at Le Bistro is for the foie gras which I hate.

Wish that was true.  I had read that on CC, but on a recent cruise, my sister ordered the fillet without foie gras, but was still charged.  Both the waiter and then assistant maitre d’ explained that the surcharge was for the superior quality of the fillet, not the fois gras.  They also said there was no way to NOT charge the $10 using their computer system.  Really ridiculous, as many people won’t eat fois gras for ethical reasons, or—like you—simply don’t like the taste (full disclosure—I do like it).  It also implies that the fillet in other restaurants is inferior.  We were so annoyed by this, we went to the Haven Concierge and he had the charges reversed on Susan’s account.  It turned out to be from his discretionary account, not from the restaurant.  It’s not the $$, it’s the principle!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, PatJim said:

Yes!  We’ve done quite a few Canada/New England cruises, and always have a lobster lunch in every port😋 Our last cruise there was a September 2022 Bermuda cruise, that was switched to C/NE night before, but that’s another story…

Wish that was true.  I had read that on CC, but on a recent cruise, my sister ordered the fillet without foie gras, but was still charged.  Both the waiter and then assistant maitre d’ explained that the surcharge was for the superior quality of the fillet, not the fois gras.  They also said there was no way to NOT charge the $10 using their computer system.  Really ridiculous, as many people won’t eat fois gras for ethical reasons, or—like you—simply don’t like the taste (full disclosure—I do like it).  It also implies that the fillet in other restaurants is inferior.  We were so annoyed by this, we went to the Haven Concierge and he had the charges reversed on Susan’s account.  It turned out to be from his discretionary account, not from the restaurant.  It’s not the $$, it’s the principle!

IMHO, liver is a waste of good cat food.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, L1211 said:

Bought twin lobster tails one night and surf and turf another night on the Bliss a week ago- both were terrific!  Highly recommend!!

IMG_7127.jpeg

IMG_6578.jpeg

Being used to fresh catch,  most frozen is less than appealing,  but I had the twin tails recently on the Getaway and was pleasantly surprised. 

They were very tender and sweet. 😋

Good choice that night. 

3 hours ago, PatJim said:

The upcharge without seems to be hit or miss depending on ship and crew in my experiences. 

Recently on the Sun I was charged,  but not on the Getaway or Joy. 

Honestly didn't notice any difference in the quality any time.