Dawn passengers left “stranded” on African island

7 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Viator isn't a tour company - they're just the middleman connecting travelers with various tour groups. Which is why you'll see the same type of tour offered 4+ times on their website with slight variations, because each is run by a different group. So Viator itself has no guarantees, it's all up to the specific tour company you book through the Viator site. And not all of them cater to cruise passengers or any guarantee at all, so read the fine print before booking.

Can you share the details so the rest of us can avoid them?

I can tell you it WASN'T my guy ..Sipson Tours.  He is listed with Viator if you Google Sao Tome shore excursions.  

OMG - we did this! 

"Do we even know for sure that this was an actual tour company?  Or was it just a guy on the dock with a van that holds eight and asking everyone who walked by if they wanted a "Private Island Tour" until he filled his seats?  I could easily see that scenario happening."

Thank you BLACKWING!  

Many years and cruises ago, our group of eight intelligent and professional adults sailed into one of the islands (St. Lucia, I think) and none of the ship tours had inspired us.  "Guy on the dock" saw us and a deal was made -- he signaled his associate to go rent an air-conditioned van and meet our group "over there" - OK, next step we were getting into a small boat and crossing some water to the parking lot - Pretty sure the other passengers did not get to tour bus location that way, but who knows?  Soon the driver and guide had us loaded and off we went - was a total blast and all worked out.  We were ahead of the big tours and saw so many of the off beat things on the island including all the ladies who knew our tour operators.  Fun memory of another adventure with our traveling crowd - we always seem to find a spot for ice cream along the way.  Back in plenty of time and lots of stories.  

BLACKWING - you made me laugh out loud and smile!  Thanks.  

• Like 2

https://nypost.com/2024/04/03/us-news/norwegian-cruise-has-been-silent-since-abandoning-elderly-woman-who-suffered-stroke-family-says/

I am not NCL apologist and think they often shirk normal customer service under the cover of their comprehensive contractual protections....but I always find it amusing when people indicate part of their problem was they couldn't fly first class ha ha ha, talk about first world problems. I do hope the lady recovers, seems it was a lifelong dream.

I just want to chime in for the person(s) who are skeptical about private tour companies guaranteeing that you'll get back to the ship on time or they'll get you to the next port on their dime. It happens. Good tour companies know their area, know the travel, and have sufficient staff to assist them in case anything goes awry, as @European_CruiseGirl demonstrated. We had a private tour in Rome and there was a huge accident between Rome and the port and our driver was constantly in contact with his dispatcher to find the best route and to get us to the ship on time. We made it, barely, but actually beat all the ship's busses by a long while. But, he was very clear that if we hadn't made it, he was driving us to the next port himself. That was doable in Italy, of course, but the point is the company stands by that guarantee. Any reputable company would.

Also, thank you so much @Ashlynkat for all of the "on the spot" information.

This is really interesting and made me more aware about bringing medication with us as we usually don't have our daily meds with us. Other than that, we're well prepared with CCs, passports, etc.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, pghflyer said:

https://nypost.com/2024/04/03/us-news/norwegian-cruise-has-been-silent-since-abandoning-elderly-woman-who-suffered-stroke-family-says/

I am not NCL apologist and think they often shirk normal customer service under the cover of their comprehensive contractual protections....but I always find it amusing when people indicate part of their problem was they couldn't fly first class ha ha ha, talk about first world problems. I do hope the lady recovers, seems it was a lifelong dream.

As of last night, the lady was in the University of Stanford (California) Medical Center according to her family.

Nearly 50 cruises with excursions on our own.

My husband is paraplegic and only very few cruiseline excursions are accessible.

So we must go on our own or stay onboard. I always tell the operators that we must be back onboard 2 hours before sailing.

One time we really had a big problem. In Boston the ship‘s shuttle bus didn‘t work.The wheelchair lift blocked,the bus couldn’t go, my husband was stucked in the bus. After two hours the fire brigade safes him. The ship waited for us.

Another thing: They say that there was a person in a wheelchair? NCL refuses to tender people in a wheelchair!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, pghflyer said:

Did the daughter and her husband ever stop and think that maybe it's not such a good idea to send an octogenarian with medical issues onto a 3 week cruise by herself?  They are blaming NCL when really they should be blaming themselves.  Someone should have been with her on the cruise.

Seems like standard practice of the cruise industry.  Guest has a medical issue that can't be treated onboard, they have to get disembarked and treated ashore.  Daughter claims she never got contacted by NCL.  I think it's likely that her mother never filled out the emergency contact information.

And boo hoo that they couldn't fly her first class.  No doubt they are going to sue NCL for leaving her in port.  The proper procedure was followed, she was disembarked because of a medical issue.  It's not NCL's fault that she was a solo traveller.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I wonder how "strict " they expect NCL to follow the rules?   10 minutes - 1 hour - 2 hours?

Does anyone know their tour itinerary?   It's possible they got dropped off to go hike up to the waterfall and they were late returning to the van.   There is a lot of missing information.   

any rule is too strict if applied to them

• Like 2

16 hours ago, omahabob said:

Actually, they acknowledged he followed procedure. They just think he followed it too strictly.

That's funny.  It's binary.  You either follow the rules or you don't.  Anything else is a very slippery slope.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

The mention on this thread that travel insurance likely won’t cover missing the ship due to a late excursion, was very helpful.  We thought our TI company would cover this scenario.  We always book comprehensive insurance p, because it covers pre-existing medical conditions.  It’s not cheap, but gives us peace of mind.

Jim just reread the TI contract.  it mentions late flight causes for missing the ship or a tour, but not a late tour operator causing us to miss the ship.  Who knew??  So thanks so much for this info.

Edited by PatJim
Incomplete post
  • Like 1

When the local Coast Guard boat took them out to the Dawn, this is how the LATE 8 would have needed to reembark the Dawn.  Keep in mind, there was a pregnant passenger and a paraplegic in that group.  Does anybody want to question the Captain's concern for his  passengers?  Rules are rules for a reason, even if the local coast guard doesn't know them.  I'm also including a photo of the Sao Tome Coast Guard boat that took them out to the Dawn.

Here's the Coast Guard Ship.  The LATE 8 would have needed to climb the same ladder the harbor pilots use.  Enough said?

sao-tome-and-principe-navy-nav-images.jpg.3654a3fd01843d34e043aad1281aaa87.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

Sorry, maybe I wasn't 100% clear on what I meant.  Normally there is a 100% guarantee or...

You cannot guarantee returning to the port on time in 100% of circumstances because there are always circumstances out of their control.  So what happens in those circumstances was what I was curious about.

Probably you get your money back. 🙂

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

Papa you over on this board reading this too!  Our regent board a little boring compared to this.

Yeah...heard about this on the news so....just couldn't resist.  I figured it would be a lot more exciting than "gee my Prime 7 steak came out medium not medium rare...not a luxury experience" threads. 🤣

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Haha 4

Some people have probably sworn off NCL for this, but all NCL has to is offer another sale and their ships will fill right back up with new passengers.

5 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Yeah...heard about this on the news so....just couldn't resist.  I figured it would be a lot more exciting than "gee my Prime 7 steak came out medium not medium rare...not a luxury experience" threads. 🤣

Slumming it, huh?  Yeah, we're really living on the edge over here, lol.  We had a troll from the Viking boards a few pages back but you guys seem nice!

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

Slumming it, huh?  Yeah, we're really living on the edge over here, lol.  We had a troll from the Viking boards a few pages back but you guys seem nice!

I find a comfort zone in many places...even some I will not mention publicly! 😱 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

I've seen Viking drop a boat to return to shore after a guest left her purse on a bus as we were about to leave Port.

And, I'm generally open that I always fly coach.

I can almost universally guarantee you that I'm less needy than the average NCL passenger. I've never ordered room service once on any ship ever. I try to bus my own table about half of the time as well.

Respectfully,

The one you made a personal attack on

Edited by Mike07

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

If you're paying for it, that's one thing. But most prime cuts of steak on the mainstream lines are so absurdly priced that I would say something. If it's in the MDR, just roll with it.

We as a country already waste enough food. The cost of this NCL cruise is more than probably half the country makes all year.

We are blessed and there's no need to waste food.

Edited by Mike07

57 minutes ago, PatJim said:

The mention on this thread that travel insurance likely won’t cover missing the ship due to a late excursion, was very helpful.  We thought our TI company would cover this scenario.  We always book comprehensive insurance p, because it covers pre-existing medical conditions.  It’s not cheap, but gives us peace of mind.

Jim just reread the TI contract.  it mentions late flight causes for missing the ship or a tour, but not a late tour operator causing us to miss the ship.  Who knew??  So thanks so much for this info.

Thank you for mentioning this.  I regularly see posts about buying cruise insurance, with 90% saying "It's a must", with the inference that if ANYTHING should go wrong, the insurance will take care of it without question. Definitely not the case.

35 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

Respectfully,

The one you made a personal attack on

I saw no personal attack, just a common reference.

But I did notice you recognized yourself immediately. 

• Thanks 1

I don't want to read 27 pages of this, especially as I am seeing people claim that "The customer is always right!  NCL should have let them come back at their own pace".

But I am curious....Would it benefit NCL to just ban this couple?  Not to put to fine a point on it, but they purposely broke the rules, went directly to the media with their grievances, and have basically been nothing but a horrible headache and PR disaster.  And at no point have they ever admitted that they could have done better.  Their basic attitude is "I am always right, rules don't apply to me".  So you can imagine how they flout other rules and treat other passengers/crew members.

If I was NCL I would do a full pushback and say "Not only did we leave your late ass behind, but we are banning you for life for trying to ruin the vacations of 2998 other passengers with your actions."

Sometimes the best defense is a good offense.   I really think hotels, planes, cruises, stores, and sporting stadiums should start standing up for the vast majority of people that follow rules and try to be cognizant of the OTHER paying customers they are with.  I would have much more respect for any business that said "This person was abusive to staff, wouldn't follow the rules, threatened the vacations of others, and so we decided we didn't want them on future cruises."

I wouldn't have let them come back on the ship at all.  Fly them home.

But maybe I am too harsh.  I am getting to the point though going to public events fills me with dread because I know 5000 people will behave, and 2 will try to ruin everything.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, urlaub said:

Another thing: They say that there was a person in a wheelchair? NCL refuses to tender people in a wheelchair!

Yea, I questioned that as well. And find it interesting that the press is now phrasing it as "a pregnant woman and an elderly man with a heart condition." No further mention of a paraplegic, which I would think, if it was true, would add to the sensationalism the press is looking for.

8 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Thank you for mentioning this.  I regularly see posts about buying cruise insurance, with 90% saying "It's a must", with the inference that if ANYTHING should go wrong, the insurance will take care of it without question. Definitely not the case.

I've seen more mention of travel medical insurance on seniors threads but i think the 80yo stroke patient is a prime example of why medical travel with evacuation and repatriation coverage is a good idea. As a septuagenarian  who travels solo (including booked on the Dawn to Africa next year) I've carried annual travel insurance for medical but i admit i never considered it before i hit retirement age. People tend to worry more about trip cancellation without giving thought to the what-ifs involved in medical emergencies. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, LongIsland-Cruiser said:

I don't want to read 27 pages of this, especially as I am seeing people claim that "The customer is always right!  NCL should have let them come back at their own pace".

But I am curious....Would it benefit NCL to just ban this couple?  Not to put to fine a point on it, but they purposely broke the rules, went directly to the media with their grievances, and have basically been nothing but a horrible headache and PR disaster.  And at no point have they ever admitted that they could have done better.  Their basic attitude is "I am always right, rules don't apply to me".  So you can imagine how they flout other rules and treat other passengers/crew members.

If I was NCL I would do a full pushback and say "Not only did we leave your late ass behind, but we are banning you for life for trying to ruin the vacations of 2998 other passengers with your actions."

Sometimes the best defense is a good offense.   I really think hotels, planes, cruises, stores, and sporting stadiums should start standing up for the vast majority of people that follow rules and try to be cognizant of the OTHER paying customers they are with.  I would have much more respect for any business that said "This person was abusive to staff, wouldn't follow the rules, threatened the vacations of others, and so we decided we didn't want them on future cruises."

I wouldn't have let them come back on the ship at all.  Fly them home.

But maybe I am too harsh.  I am getting to the point though going to public events fills me with dread because I know 5000 people will behave, and 2 will try to ruin everything.

I'm with you.  If I were NCL I would ban them for life.  Hundreds of people get left behind on the docks each year and yet almost none of these pier runners are contacting the media and blitzing the morning news shows with their stories of how they got left behind.  They reek of entitlement and they have possibly committed slander and libel against NCL.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1