No means No

1Virgo

27 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I guarantee you that if we could we would bring a rice cooker.  The one thing we have not really been able to find is good steamed rice.

I love my rice cooker too but not enough to bring it on vacation with me unless I was staying in a cabin or private home somewhere and they didn't already have one.  I love a good steamed rice but I can also live without it for a week or two during a vacation.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 1Virgo said:

just back from Ascent.  This is the first time we have seen a long table set up for people after cruise to retrieve their confiscated items, and some were disgruntled. These are a few of what we saw:

..Clothes Steamers, doesnt matter what size or how tiny, dont bring them (lots of those)

..Irons.   full size and small

..a Panini/waffle maker.  yup. Not new or in a box

If it says don’t bring, not allowed, follow the rules. No means no.  

Cruise awesome. Cannot say enough of how great the staff were.  

Any chainsaws ? 🤣

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, BeasleysMom66 said:

I love my rice cooker too but not enough to bring it on vacation with me unless I was staying in a cabin or private home somewhere and they didn't already have one.  I love a good steamed rice but I can also live without it for a week or two during a vacation.  

Oh, I am the same way but my DW -- she has to have her rice.  We've taken to ordering steamed rice in the dining room and hoping for the best. 

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

I totally understand the power strips being brought because we'd use them in hotels and the cruise for us is only a small portion of the overseas trip. 

I think you've hit on part of the explanation for odd or cooking items here.  People may be bringing things they intend to use in hotels on a land extension of their trip.  Also, many first time cruisers just have no idea of what is not allowed and/or what they will have no use for on a ship.  My neighbor just told us he is going on his first cruise and, believe me, he did not read anything, never mind the fine print.  He's a very nice guy but tends to be a bit out to lunch in general.  I don't think there is any shortage of that, lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

I guarantee you that if we could we would bring a rice cooker.  The one thing we have not really been able to find is good steamed rice.  My DW is Japanese and even with Tea Forte being available onboard, we still bring our own green tea.   The first thing we ask for when we meet our stateroom attendant / butler is for a water kettle to make hot water.  Not a day goes by we do not use it. 

Our family is part Asian and I will never forget the face one of my daughters made the first time she tasted Minute Rice.  She also announced that whatever that stuff is they serve at school is NOT rice after a few days of Kindergarten.  My dad was born in Ireland and he could look over a holiday table laden with 35 different dishes and immediately complain that there were no potatoes.  Essentials vary from one person to another for sure.

Edited by Travelling2Some
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, NanaPam00 said:

On our recent Icon sailing the 'naughty table' included many, many irons and steamers, and few power strips, plus what looked like an Instant Pot, a full-size pair of scissors, handcuffs, and a set of lawn sprinklers - the kind on stakes that you stick in the ground.

I thought power strips were allowed, but not those with surge suppressors built in, and no extension cords.

13 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

Our family is part Asian and I will never forget the face one of my daughters made the first time she tasted Minute Rice. 

I went through the same thing with my wife the first time she was served minute rice. You can also imagine the results I received when I made Rice-a-Roni for a meal one time.  Never made that mistake again. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

47 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Oh, I am the same way but my DW -- she has to have her rice.  We've taken to ordering steamed rice in the dining room and hoping for the best. 

lol my husband's family are from Sri Lanka so we go through A LOT of rice. I just order and hope for the best.

Its funny how everyone is different, last time I had the Indian food on board my husband asked how it was (he stays home). My response 'nice flavour but no spice, the Mexican food is spicier' and I can only handle so much heat

5 hours ago, 39august said:

We once saw a recliner and I've seen many irons and cockpots  but these were all on RCI cruises.

I am not making this up (in spite of the date):  There was a thread on CC about a year ago on people renting recliners.  It is apparently a "thing" as some folks have some disability that makes it difficult for them to sleep laying flat.  It was discussed for several pages.

I am still trying to think of a reason someone would bring lawn sprinklers.  Maybe they are on the snowbird cruise from Canada to Florida and they have a beach house in Florida?  Maybe some strange items are gifts for people they are visiting?  Who knows.

3 minutes ago, TMLAalum said:

Remember the thread about the sewing machine?

Yes, the woman was a quilter and going on a cruise with a lot of sea days.  They do make mini sewing machines that are very portable.  I wonder if it was confiscated or not.

Posted (edited)

Mahatma Rice, cooked on a stove top, with butter as intended…but I’m not sweating that on a cruise. 

I’ll put mine up against any of your automated cookers…

Edited by PTC DAWG

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, omahabob said:

I thought power strips were allowed, but not those with surge suppressors built in, and no extension cords.

The "official" stance is that it is not allowed if it has built-in surge suppression....but just trying to *prove* that *your* strip is NOT surge protected has become something of an issue on MANY cruise lines.

Edited by Rick&Jeannie

29 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

Hey, if the drink package prices keep going up some enterprising types might start bringing stills.  Not me, of course . . .

Bathtub gin!  no need for a still.

I agree people need to read the rules and follow them (wish they would do that for other things like chair hogging and shorts in the dining room, but that's another thread).

At the same time, some of the weird items might be because people are on long vacations of which the cruise is just one part.  I've done that myself.  Again, I agree they need to check the rules but just suggesting a reason some things might be brought onboard that seem very strange. 

Sounds like most of these items are prohibited on the ship due to fire hazard. When I have considered a cruise and searched for prohibited items on the line’s web site, it has been a bit hard to find — and in fine print. When one books a cruise, the line should send a list of prohibited items shortly thereafter — and not expect the guest to spend an hour searching for this info on the site. Further, prohibited items are not the same from line to line. We just cruised on a line (not X this time) where ordinary extension cords are allowed. So all lines should send a readable list of prohibited items right after booking — or at least with the cruise documents. This might solve problems.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, keesar said:

I wonder why someone would bring nunchucks or handcuffs on a cruise?

I don't know about the nunchucks but when it comes to the handcuffs some of those "pineapple" people (and non-pineapple) are into some weird stuff.  😈😈  Just sayin......

Edited by BeasleysMom66
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

I always wish that, instead of concentrating quite so much effort on the selling end up selling packages, with nearly an email every day, it might be useful for the cruise lines to once in a while, emphasize what not to bring.  Sometimes the caveat seems hidden almost on purpose, leading to the “naughty table” after every cruise

CE1928A3-A49D-487E-B3AE-5E15FF72A0EF.jpeg

I was just reviewing my Celebrity App for a cruise this week and they actually Did have a lot of "What Not to Bring" information.

Still I never fail to inspect the confiscated Items on the Table as we leave the ship.

Saw a switchblade knife once!

32 minutes ago, keesar said:

I wonder why someone would bring nunchucks or handcuffs on a cruise?

Maybe the one's with the upside-down Pineapple on their cabin door?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

Its funny how everyone is different, last time I had the Indian food on board my husband asked how it was (he stays home). My response 'nice flavour but no spice, the Mexican food is spicier' and I can only handle so much heat

I hear you on that one.  I have mentioned a couple of items on the ship that i wish they could make the Indian food a little spicier.  I love lamb vindaloo but it's only really good if you brow starts sweating while you eat it.  

• Like 1