Port Valet Seattle Discontinued

Posted (edited)

I learned here about Port Valet in Seattle, a free service which would take your bags from your stateroom and check them in at the airport for you. Since I’m arriving early in the morning and don’t have to be to the airport til 7 pm, I jumped at this.

Well, I just got an email yesterday that NCL is no longer participating in the service and my reservation is canceled. I’m a bit annoyed especially as I board TODAY and have made plans for my arrival day depending on this.  Now I’ll have to find a bag drop off (there are lots, fortunately, I even saw a shop in Pike Place that offered the service yesterday) and then get back there to pick up my bags before going to the airport.  Just an extra step, and thought I’d put it out here in case anyone else had been planning on the same. 

Boarding in 5 hours, and that’s what matters!

Edited by anotterchaos
  • Thanks 4

41 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Gosh that’s unfortunate, it was such a great service.  Another nickel saved for NCL.  

We have yet to do a cruise out of Seattle, but had heard of the service and figured we would use it one day....was it a "free service"?  just curious since you are putting in the cost cutting category. 

I would think many would actually pay $'s .  I know we would if, like many, we were on a red-eye flight back home.   

1 hour ago, anotterchaos said:

Well, I just got an email yesterday that NCL is no longer participating in the service and my reservation is canceled.

Where did that email come from?

1 hour ago, laudergayle said:

Gosh that’s unfortunate, it was such a great service.  Another nickel saved for NCL.  

Pretty sure that was a service provided by the Port of Seattle for cruisers, not an NCL service.

• Like 3

We are cruising out of Seattle next year and have never heard of this service but would definitely use it and would even pay extra! Hopefully if it is discontinued it will be brought back. 

1 minute ago, ColeThornton said:

Pretty sure that was a service provided by the Port of Seattle for cruisers, not an NCL service.

Yes it is a service offered by Port of Seattle.  Seems that POS is still offering Port Valet online.  Why NCL is no longer participating could be as simple as a manpower issue (and costs associated with having staff/crew to administer), or more complex like perhaps it was a cost-sharing service with the port.  Obviously we will never know for certain, but it definitely is not in favor of NCL’s guest.  Why would NCL stop this convenience if it weren’t to save money somewhere.

• Like 2

That's disappointing! We've used Port Valet on our last two cruises out of Seattle and were planning on using it again next month. Previously, the cost had been the same amount we would have paid the airline to check our bags. Hope that they reinstate it.

As of a couple of hours ago, Norwegian was still listed on the Port of Seattle's website as a participate in the Valet Program.

I would double check with Guest Services when you board.

By the wording of your notice, it might be canceled for only your cruise.  You are the very first cruise of the Season, Port staffing for this program might be the issue.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

By the wording of your notice, it might be canceled for only your cruise.  You are the very first cruise of the Season, Port staffing for this program might be the issue.

That would be awesome if it was just the first sailings.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, laudergayle said:

Multiple cruise lines are not offering Port Valet this year. It’s not NCL. 

1 hour ago, www3traveler said:

This would make sense - that your particular cruise (first of the season) usage of Port Valet was cancelled.  With just one ship in port and so early in the season, SeaTac is still at it's typical passenger levels.  Later in the season (end of April early May) we will see the number of passengers increasing at SeaTac, and I am guessing that Port Valet will be in full swing.  The reverse will be true for those late Sept and all October sailings - we will see Port Valet not being offered.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Interesting.  Don’t see any mention on the other boards, but if this is true then there must be a reason.  My best guess is cost.  While Port Valet says it’s FREE, we all know nothing is truly free.  Too bad for cruisers…it was a nice option.  

8 hours ago, JandC_Cruising said:

We have yet to do a cruise out of Seattle, but had heard of the service and figured we would use it one day....was it a "free service"?  just curious since you are putting in the cost cutting category. 

I would think many would actually pay $'s .  I know we would if, like many, we were on a red-eye flight back home.   

Yes, historically this has been free to cruisers.  Obviously the costs were covered somewhere by some entity.  If what the Bird says is true…then something has probably changed in how this service was funded.  

I, too, would pay a fee for this service if the price and parameters fit my needs.  I guess we’ll all see soon.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, www3traveler said:

If I remember correctly, this also happened last year? The first cruise or 2 did not have Port Valet. 

On 4/6/2024 at 10:00 PM, dobiemom said:

If I remember correctly, this also happened last year? The first cruise or 2 did not have Port Valet. 

I hope this is the case as we are hoping to use the service in September.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2024 at 1:05 PM, BirdTravels said:

And multiple cruise lines last year didn't participate.  But now NCL apparently has joined the list.  

A couple more nickels saved on the expense side of the ledger.

Just a little tip for something we did when we did out last Alaskan cruise in 2022. 

This wont always be possible and it wont work for everyone, however, we stayed a couple of nights in a hotel ahead of the cruise and asked them if they would store our luggage for us on the day we arrived back off the cruise ahead of going to the airport later.

It worked well and only cost us a tip so well worth asking to save using the chargeable luggage shops in the city of which there are several

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The OP's email does NOT say Port Valet is cancelled or no longer available from the Port of Seattle - merely that NCL is not providing the service.  

Log on to the POS website and make the reservation again . . . you'll just have to get the bags to the valet on your own.  

Edited by erisajd

The FAQs and Ts and Cs....

https://maketraveleasier.com/PortValet

I've used the port valet often.  But, I fly Delta.  According to the above, if you're on a discount airline like Frontier, Spirit, etc, they don't participate.

I don't think the cruise lines can accommodate the Port Authority if they don't offer it to the airline.

As of five minutes ago, NCL is still listed as a participating cruise line for the Port Valet Program.

The Bliss is the only cruise scheduled for THIS weekend and next weekend (the 20th).

Check the Port of Seattle's website for participating airlines.

Ships due in through 30 April: 19th  The Sun

20th  The Bliss

23rd  Carnival Spirit

27th  The Bliss

28th  The Encore

30th  HAL Zaandam

Dawn Princess

• Thanks 2