Revamp of C&A tiers? Cruises getting expensive!

So I'm a few points away from Platinum (I know still a newbie) and we have a loooooong way to go to even hit diamond but I was just wondering....now with cruise prices going up significantly, do you think that Royal Caribbean will eventually do a revamp of C&A tiers? It seems like back then and even before covid, it was much cheaper to cruise and quicker to get points, but now with cruising getting so expensive, people can't afford it like they used to. What do you guys think? Just a thought! 🙂

1 minute ago, nolegirl01 said:

people can't afford it like they used to

Given how full ships are sailing, the evidence isn't showing this (yet).

• Like 6

I cant see how the two things are related. ... because cruises cost more they need to revamp so pts are easier to get. 

I'm going to push for pinnacle so booked 18 rcl cruises. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well in the Midwest no matter how inexpensive the cruise there was the matter of flights, or driving (cost of gas, eating on the way)to the port.  Good policy to get there a day ahead so hotel cost. Hay we got to eat when we get there a day early. So after this next cruise we will be diamond plus.  I can most assuredly tell it was not quick, cheap, or easy.  Hope that helps.

• Like 3

Royal is not in business to do us any favors.  They will gouge us as long as it’s beneficial to the stockholders. Don’t look for anything to change as long as they’re selling out cruises. 

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, nolegirl01 said:

ut now with cruising getting so expensive, people can't afford it like they used to. What do you guys think? Just a thought! 🙂

If they do a revamp they should make it harder to move to the next tier. There are too many Diamonds because it doesn’t take that many points.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If the tiers are revamped it won’t be to our benefit. All loyalty schemes are devalued at some point and the problem with Royal’s is you literally have to die to lose your status.

So every day more and more people qualify for Diamond and above and Royal has to give away more and more free drinks. That’s not sustainable.

I’ve never understood why there’s no requirement to sail at once a year (or two or even three) to keep your status. 

Edited by gumshoe958
  • Like 2

yeah I hear you all... It was just wishful thinking lol we used to book a simple balcony for 2 people $2-3k for a 7 day cruise now it seems like it's going to $4-6k... it's definitely pricing us out a bit. We did a mediterranean cruise on NCL Epic back in 2017 and we got a spa haven suite for $4k. That was a great price and great experience. Now the cheapest haven suite is $10k... granted that is NCL but RC is getting expensive as well. But I hear you all, I didn't think RC would change, but I was hoping it would 🤪

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nolegirl01 said:

yeah I hear you all... It was just wishful thinking lol we used to book a simple balcony for 2 people $2-3k for a 7 day cruise now it seems like it's going to $4-6k... it's definitely pricing us out a bit. We did a mediterranean cruise on NCL Epic back in 2017 and we got a spa haven suite for $4k. That was a great price and great experience. Now the cheapest haven suite is $10k... granted that is NCL but RC is getting expensive as well. But I hear you all, I didn't think RC would change, but I was hoping it would 🤪

That was 2017 BC (Before Covid). Welcome to the new normal, and it’s not pretty.

1 minute ago, gumshoe958 said:

That was 2017 BC (Before Covid). Welcome to the new normal, and it’s not pretty.

yeah things before covid were definitely cheaper... things have gotten crazy expensive while our paychecks remain the same 😞 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

I’ve never understood why there’s no requirement to sail at once a year (or two or even three) to keep your status. 

Because when you do cruise, no matter how frequently or infrequently that may be, RCI wants you to have incentive to book with them and not try the competition which you might find that you like better. 

Also, when the next recession or pandemic comes along RCI wants to make sure they have a supply of people who will be willing to help keep them afloat just like we did for the reopening. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Most empirical studies of loyalty programs show that the effect of loyalty status on perceived brand value is higher for high-engagement customers (frequent return customers) than for low-engagement customers (infrequent return customers). And studies have also shown that brand loyalty often exists even without a corresponding loyalty program because it is based more on things like product quality and customer satisfaction than rewards (although everyone enjoys being treated "special" such as "early" boarding of airplanes).

If higher fares are causing people to cruise less frequently (because they have less spending power - paychecks not keeping up with inflation), then it is not clear that having a higher status will have much effect on repeat business because these customers are financially constrained.

Presumably there is value to the company in offering these loyalty programs, but it is likely tailored toward ensuring maximum revenue rather than specifically targeting levels of new guests versus repeat guests. In other words, the mix or new and repeat should always be such that revenue is maximized. So higher fares do not necessarily translate into a need to welcome more guests into higher loyalty tiers but rather a need to increase the number of new, infrequent customers (who may have to forego another vacation in order to afford a cruise).

I will happily take the free drinks and other perks but it is not as big a factor in whether I decide to cruise with Royal (or do something else) as bottom line costs. I may be willing to spend a little more if it comes with substantive loyalty perks, but not much more.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The only thing that keeps cropping up (mainly in Diamond Lounge discussions) is a new tier between D+ and P - but that and a soda package will buy @nolegirl01 a Coke.

We just decided at the start we could only take a few days off each year-- still being far away from retirement-- bit the bullet, opened the wallet and went with suites.  Double points.

We spoke to other veteran cruisers about the long-since gone promotions during the slower months for double points.  Was how many of them got to Pinnacle.  Of course, you always need to be able to take advantage of opportunities so post-pandemic when they DID do a double points promo we did 13 nights in a GS on a repositioning cruise and scored 52 points to take us from the entryway to D to the doorstep of D+, but that's not at all an everyday thing. Only time in 15 years of sailing we'd seen it.

Welcome to the club - and happy sailing

Edited by MichaelCMTX

51 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

I'd be amazed if this doesn't happen at some point in the near future.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HicksRA said:

Royal is not in business to do us any favors.  They will gouge us as long as it’s beneficial to the stockholders. Don’t look for anything to change as long as they’re selling out cruises. 

Beneficial to stockholders?? Did they reinstate paying dividends? Besides a measly OBC, the dividends was the only benefit.

1 hour ago, HicksRA said:

Cruises are selling out, is the favor that they lower the prices and cruises sell out quicker?

The next crop of threads would talk about people having to make deposits 12-24 months out to secure a cruise.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Tin can said:

I'd be amazed if this doesn't happen at some point in the near future.

That, and they might make it revenue-based like the airlines.

Right now a point is a point whether you spend under $100 a night on an inside or over $300 on a prime balcony. And two points are two points whether you book the cheapest JS or the most expensive suite. So some earn elite status for far less than others. 

I could see them changing to, say, one point per $200 spent. And extend it to include cruise planner & on-board spend.

Edited by gumshoe958

There will eventually have to be changes to the program, there is a reason why other cruise lines and businesses in general either have weak loyalty perks or eventually alters them.  It doesn't seem like any of the other cruise lines are eager to copy Royal's perks.

So funny how some of you think the free drinks for D and up is some kind of a financial killer. The mark up on those drinks they sell onboard are incredible. Especially when you factor in the drink package.  It is also humorous to hear...the ships are selling out... in reality, they may be sailing at or near capacity, however they have not been sold at full asking fare. The fact is, the loyalty program has been a huge success for Royal and by no stretch of the imagination is it considered a hinderance. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

That, and they might make it revenue-based like the airlines.

Right now a point is a point whether you spend under $100 a night on an inside or over $300 on a prime balcony. And two points are two points whether you book the cheapest JS or the most expensive suite. So some earn elite status for far less than others. 

I could see them changing to, say, one point per $200 spent. And extend it to include cruise planner & on-board spend.

Yes I agree, I can see big changes coming along those lines and a revenue based system. I may be way off the mark with this but I can also foresee a combined single RCI Group loyalty scheme with the ability to earn points across RCI, Celebrity, Silversea and whatever that Tui/Hapag German line is.

15 minutes ago, rolloman said:

So funny how some of you think the free drinks for D and up is some kind of a financial killer. The mark up on those drinks they sell onboard are incredible. Especially when you factor in the drink package.  It is also humorous to hear...the ships are selling out... in reality, they may be sailing at or near capacity, however they have not been sold at full asking fare. The fact is, the loyalty program has been a huge success for Royal and by no stretch of the imagination is it considered a hinderance. 

Does that mean the cruises are selling out at a good price and not the elevated prices that people are concerned with? 

Royal does charge excessive for drinks more than most lines for both individual drinks and packages while also offering free drinks to as many as 50% of the passengers on a cruise ship depending on sailing. Is there a correlation with other cruise lines that don't offer free drinks, but charge more modest prices for drinks/packages?

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, rolloman said:

The mark up on those drinks they sell onboard are incredible.

Actually they're quite competitive with any urban/suburban bar/restaurant, if not cheaper.

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Actually they're quite competitive with any urban/suburban bar/restaurant, if not cheaper.

But a high mark up none the less.