On Radiance ... all ports cancelled due to issues with proposal system

1 hour ago, DFWPalm said:

I would rather just get a 50 percent off next cruise cert, but have not gone down to ask.  Anyone think that is feasible?  We just did the 4 day.  Cost more to fly back to Dallas 😞

I do not think they would give you that.  Our compensation for our cruise, which was cancelled AFTER we got on board was a refund of our cruise fare, plus a fcc for base cruise fare, less port fees and taxes.  This was very generous, however, to book same cruise this year was about 1k more, for 2 category below our 9/1/23 sailing.  No reimbursement for transportation or airfare to port in Seward.  

• Like 1

Wow! This really sucks for those on board. We just got off from the Panama Canal cruise, and I never heard anything about any hints of possible propulsion issues. 2 of our table mates (who we had a great time with) were staying on board for this leg. I feel especially bad for them.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, RobInMN said:

We just got off from the Panama Canal cruise, and I never heard anything about any hints of possible propulsion issues.

Does your car give you hints before it breaks down? 😉

Edited by chengkp75
  • Haha 6

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

In this case, I read in two different spots by folks saying they were on board that the evening before it felt like they hit something fairly solid while cruising in open water.  Would speculate maybe azipod prop damage - like this ship had a few years ago - which was replaced dockside in about 2 days.  You remember that one chief? 

All speculation, of course.

Edited by Beachin2

11 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

You made me laugh with your comment.  For some the answer is yes.  They choose to ignore those signs, like squealing brakes, warning lights etc and drive on. 😂

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Beachin2 said:

In this case, I read in two different spots by folks saying they were on board that the evening before it felt like they hit something fairly solid while cruising in open water.  Would speculate maybe azipod prop damage - like this ship had a few years ago - which was replaced dockside in about 2 days.  You remember that one chief? 

All speculation, of course.

Off hand, I don't remember the repair you mention, but was the "evening before" on the Panama Canal cruise that I quoted, or the next cruise?  But, yes, if the blades are available (some ships carry a spare set on the bow), then it would be just a couple of days to replace the blades by diver.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Off hand, I don't remember the repair you mention, but was the "evening before" on the Panama Canal cruise that I quoted, or the next cruise?  But, yes, if the blades are available (some ships carry a spare set on the bow), then it would be just a couple of days to replace the blades by diver.

Sorry I wasn't clear - the "evening before" was reported to be about 11 PM Monday night off the coast between LA & SFO, followed by reduced speed.  Lots of stuff floating in those busy waters.

Again, 100% pure speculation - but seems to fit the repair timeline stated.  I'm scheduled on the Friday Vancouver sailing so watching this closely..

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Depending on the issue, it can give hints. Not all engine issues are instantaneous. 

I'm just saying that what ever the issue, it must have been something pretty instant. It's working fine...crap, it's broke. There were no rumors or gossip (that I heard) of going slower, or operating with 1 azipod instead of 2 or anything like that. In past situations, I think the issue usually happens or develops during a cruise, and there's info/gossip/rumors that make it's way around the ship and it all get posted here. In this case, it's like it happened between cruises. Our cruise was fine, next cruise starting with engine issues.

@Beachin2's new info on the timing makes sense. While the next cruise didn't start with issues, it happened pretty much right away. If it was over night, within 12 hours of leaving LA.

@Beachin2 Hope it's a quick repair and your cruise is unaffected.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Man, I looked on Cruise Mapper and Radiance is limping at 5kn. Not sure what that is all about? If anyone is currently on board could you offer any insight?

Update: back up to 14kns...

Edited by bulldogmommy
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, bulldogmommy said:

Man, I looked on Cruise Mapper and Radiance is limping at 5kn. Not sure what that is all about? If anyone is currently on board could you offer any insight?

Update: back up to 14kns...

Um, the propulsion issues this thread is about.  They may be doing some testing/work.  

I'm onboard and never heard anything on Monday night but, felt something yesterday morning.  We were having breakfast in the Windjammer by the window when we felt a shutter like a car feels when you slam on the brakes.  Then the ship slowed and we stopped moving .  We watched fir about 5 to 10 minutes every so often the ending would churn up the water and it looked like it was trying to turn a bit then it would stop. We mentioned it to the one of the head waiter and asked if he knew of any problems he said no everything is fine .  Well after a bit  we were moving again but very slowly.   That happen at about 10 in the morning.  The announcement  to forgo all ports was about 3:30 I  believe.  

We are also on the next cruise so hoping it gets fixed.  This portion wasn't  really  that big of a deal for us been to the ports before so not too disappointed.   I do feel bad for people that are only on this leg.  We booked to just sail rather than fly. Oh and we already received  onboard credit. 

If I  get anymore updates I'll  come back and post.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, TheInnocentAge said:

If that's the case, I don't know why they'd cancel the port stops...

Seriously? The part(s) they need will be in Vancouver. Doesn't mean they're not doing other work on the way there.

9 minutes ago, BND said:

Seriously? The part(s) they need will be in Vancouver. Doesn't mean they're not doing other work on the way there.

My bad, I didn't see the particular post you had responded to, so I missed the context of your reply.

Posted (edited)

Marinetraffic is showing her destination as Astoria, pointing to her going to Portland for drydocking.  Currently Vigor's dock is empty, Victoria's dock currently has Norwegian Sun in it.  Radiance doing 15.8 knots.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Marinetraffic is showing her destination as Astoria, pointing to her going to Portland for drydocking.  Currently Vigor's dock is empty, Victoria's dock currently has Norwegian Sun in it.  Radiance doing 15.8 knots.

Over Night in Portland would be cool while they make repairs. Could check out places where  Twilight was filmed.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, DennysDad said:

Time to put that ship to sleep 

I would think it would depend on why it happened.  Radiance is not the only ship to have this issue.  Although I know she is getting older, she is one of my favorite ships and is lovely and I will be very sad when RCCL sells or scraps her.

Edited by Cherful59
added text
  • Like 6

It'd be kind of cool to stay on a ship during drydock

6 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

I immediately thought of this. I remembered that Radiance was drydocked here in 2016.

There are some interesting photos here to give everyone an idea (Stabilizer, props, etc)

https://vigor.net/projects/radiance-of-the-seas

That's a rare photo of stabilizers deployed.

5 hours ago, Cherful59 said:

I would think it would depend on why it happened.  Radiance is not the only ship to have this issue.  Although I know she is getting older, she is one of my favorite ships and is lovely and I will be very sad when RCCL sells or scraps her.

This situation happened Sept 2023.  Two cruises were cancelled for azipod issues.  Fast forward to now, azipod issues once again.  P