Europe cruises Dressy or not?

Carol28

We will be on the silhouette in June around Great Britain. Our European crew is less dressy than the Caribbean cruises? We are on a Royal Caribbean explorer of the Caribbean Cruise right now and people are not dressed at all. I’m wondering if that is the standard in Europe now?

Not necessarily.  

and you really can’t compare across cruise lines and itineraries.

But in general, I would say that passengers on Celebrity tend to stick to the dress code no matter where in the world the ship is

• Like 1

We’ve taken several European cruises on Celebrity and in general felt that they were dressier than some other itineraries. On our Baltic cruise last year many people dressed up in the evenings and not just on the chic nights. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, StopTheWorld said:

In my opinion (being a European), I would say people dress more for dinner, and are a bit smarter in the evenings. 

A bit smarter in the evening until they’ve had 6-8 pints, then not so much.

• Haha 1

Have only done one cruise in the US and that was Alaska, so nothing to compare. However I would say that most ladies on board in Europe tend to dress up a little in the evenings, although not to the extent of very formal ballgowns as apparently is common on Cunard. 
I tend to put on a nice dress or a glittery top with smart trousers. My husband doesn’t dress up but wears tidy shirts and ( long) trousers, and doesn’t look out of place. 
Always makes me laugh when I see comments about men being required to wear pants in the evenings, as pants usually means underpants in the UK! I also see a lot of comments about men being upset that they can’t wear shorts in the dining rooms in the evenings. Unless you are in the Med in high summer, temperatures in Europe are often lower than expected, and some ‘long pants’ would probably be very welcome indeed!

• Like 3

I'd say that the European Celebrity cruises we have done have been slightly more dressy than the Caribbean Celebrity ones.

BUT, in general, ALL cruises we have done have become more and more "casual" as the years go on.  It used to be that a "formal" night really felt like a formal night across the ship and not just in the dining areas/restaurants.  Then it was mostly formal almost solely in the restaurants. Now, it seems it is hit or miss for formal vs casual even in the restaurants.

So, dressy has become really relative. Relative to 5, 10, 20 yrs ago, no Celebrity cruise is as dressy as in the past.   For formal nights, I used to feel "under dressed" in a suit, but now would feel "over dressed".

Outside of the formal nights, folks seem to be fine "dressing up" with their nice jeans, and shorts don't seem rare & same with t-shirts.  And wandering the ship at any time of the day, it's totally normal for "resort casual" to be he main attire,

• Like 1

The way people dress on Caribbean cruises is not indicative of how they dress in Europe.  You don't have to wear a tuxedo but they probably aren't wearing sun dresses to dinner.  Or ripped designer jeans.  In my experience.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, StopTheWorld said:

Really??

Not sure if this is the way you meant the question but the word "smart" means different things depending on if you are using British English or American English.  The word smart equals intelligent to Americans but smart means stylish in "British".  You know the saying, "Two peoples separated by a common language", lol.  Our son texted me several times when he was in the UK requesting a "translation".

We were on The Accent and the Beyond for a month (Jan-Feb) in the Caribbean and were surprised how much folks dressed up. All ages.  Of course there were a few who were super casual wearing shorts and tee shirts on chic nights and they really stood out.  All our European Cruises folks tended to dress up. 

3 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

Not sure if this is the way you meant the question but the word "smart" means different things depending on if you are using British English or American English.  The word smart equals intelligent to Americans but smart means stylish in "British".  You know the saying, "Two peoples separated by a common language", lol.  Our son texted me several times when he was in the UK requesting a "translation".

Um.  Plenty of Americans know the multiple meanings of the word “smart”.

• Like 3

Like all cruises I think that there is a mix.   Many Europeans have a tenancy to dress with more flare than Americans but then again those from New York dress a bit more trendy than those from other sections of the country.    Europe is a large continent so you may find mass differences between UK, Med and Scandinavian cruises.  -  the sheer number of Americans on any cruise will dress the same regardless of location.

• Like 1

We were on the Apex for 23 days last fall. I would classify dress as a bit dressy in the main dining room (or Blu). Men in slacks or dressy jeans and a collared shirt or sweater with some sport coats and women in dresses or nice pants and a pretty top or sweater/jacket.  On Chic night the dress went from fancy dresses for the ladies and tuxedos for some of the men to dress not that unsimilar to every other night. So, I would say that as long as you are clean, in decent long pants or skirt you will be fine. 

I would say definitely not as casual as the Caribbean or Alaska.

We were on the Apex in January, very casual and no dressing up for chic nights.  Just got off Ascent TA today, people dressed up every evening and especially on chic nights.  I enjoyed seeing everyone looking great and enjoying themselves.  Wonderful cruise!