Texas flag

23 minutes ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

Another reason why we will not be sailing out of Texas. 

What are your other reasons? Inquiring minds want to know...

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Could it be it’s a nice touch and they are just trying to be good people, and they recognize that Galveston is a half days drive from markets such as Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, Waco, Corpus, Ft Worth

Edited by MrMan

He stated it was tradition after some not so nice person said it's one reason they won't cruise from there. The majority of people who cruise from there are from TX.  I'm a Texan by birth and was just back there in Nov.  There are TX flags and US flags flown everywhere, large ones.    IYKYK.

• Like 5

I've sailed almost every ship from Texas since Rhapsody waaaaay back in the day.  We were on Rhapsody's last cruise from Texas after being here many years.  The last night everyone gathered in the Centrum - the Captain and crew were very emotional leaving Texas.  It's a popular port for the crew since the passenger base is known for being very friendly.  At the end of the goodbye ceremony, the passengers started singing The Eyes of Texas as a farewell as they removed the flag.  A lot of us were crying, including officers and crew- it was such a beautiful moment.  Rhapsody really established Royal here.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I'm not from Texas but the state flag on the ship never bothered me.  Sure it's a Texas thing.  Good for them.  State pride.

Nice folks on board too.  Love cruising from Galveston.  Good people.  

Voyager 2008:

image3.jpg

Edited by twangster
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, twangster said:

I'm not from Texas but the state flag on the ship never bothered me.  Sure it's a Texas thing.  Good for them.  State pride.

Nice folks on board too.  Love cruising from Galveston.  Good people.  

Voyager 2008:

image3.jpg

I was wondering if anyone else remembered that. 

• Like 1

We are friends with several performers that are frequently on the Mariner as we sailed her a lot when she was in PC.

The bands were told that they needed to expand their repertoire to include some country songs in the mix. No problem for most but the band from Russia (forget the name, but they were good at 80's and 90's music) decided it was not something they did well, and they were moved to other ships...

So Royal does take the TX angle seriously (it was fun to watch the bands work on mixing in some Country music in the sets at Boleros. Every time I heard "friends in low places" and "I love this bar" it got better and better)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

Another reason why we will not be sailing out of Texas. 

Awe, Bless your little heart ❤️ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 19

20 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

As a brit i love the patriotism that americans have and you should fly your flag, state or country with pride. 👍

Thank you for this.  It seems more and more in the current social climate, our patriotism and pride is viewed as unwanted nationalism by our brothers and sisters across the Atlantic.

I appreciate your recognition that it is, pure and simple, pride; with no nefarious overtones.

Cheers!

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Thank you for this.  It seems more and more in the current social climate, our patriotism and pride is viewed as unwanted nationalism by our brothers and sisters across the Atlantic.

I appreciate your recognition that it is, pure and simple, pride; with no nefarious overtones.

Cheers!

I thinks its more of the minority shouting the loudest and the mainstream media.

I personally think you and we should embrace our culture, values and patriotism. 👍 Keep those flags flying. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

I thinks its more of the minority shouting the loudest and the mainstream media.

I personally think you and we should embrace our culture, values and patriotism. 👍 Keep those flags flying. 

AMEN!

• Like 1

I'm an ex-pat Texan living far away at the moment. Loved seeing the Texas flag on Liberty. Looking forward to seeing it on Harmony soon!

And for those asking, yeah it's a Texas thing.. If you know, you know...

You'll also see things like Texas edition pickup trucks, and Texas logos (stars, flags) on mainstream beer cans/bottles like Bud and Miller.  We took an Adventure on Adventure from NJ that had just repositioned from Galveston and they still had Texas branded beers onboard so I felt right at home!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, robmtx said:

You'll also see things like Texas edition pickup trucks

The Ford F Series King Ranch model for instance.  If anyone doesn't know about the King Ranch, it's a prime example of "everything is bigger in Texas". 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Anton said:

The Ford F Series King Ranch model for instance.  If anyone doesn't know about the King Ranch, it's a prime example of "everything is bigger in Texas". 

F-150 Texas Edition Crew. It's the city boy edition with 2 wheel drive. The 2.7 EcoBoost delivers 24-28 mpg with a 3.15 axle ratio. The perfect car allowance vehicle for Coastal Texas roads!

You can always tell a Texan, you just can't tell us much."

• Haha 1

On 5/7/2024 at 2:05 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

Not weird at all, it’s a TX thing, many don’t (won’t) understand. 

I live here. It makes me roll my eyes when I see it.

• Like 4

On 5/7/2024 at 4:08 PM, Charles4515 said:

In Texas both US and Texas flags are everywhere. 

DW - who is a Texas native - noted "just how many other states do you have a store dedicated to that state's gifts and stuff when you're in the airport?"

Then I showed her a photo I took of the Heinz store they had in Pittsburgh airport. 😃  I've lived here nearly 40 years now and still, totally, do not get it.

• Like 1

Reading this thread reminds me of the old "Real Men of Genius" (formerly known as "Real American Heroes") radio commercials, each spot dedicated to an unsung hero.

This one is dedicated to the "Mr. Too Proud of Texas" guy🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In all seriousness, not sure what the big deal is. I only cruised once from Galveston, saw the Texas flag hanging in the promenade and never thought too much about it. I guess I just assumed it was a marketing thing that started when Royal first started sailing from Texas and it just kind of stayed around.

I'm more upset that you can only get Texas-brewed Shiner Bock beer when sailing within Texas waters. Once in International waters, they stop selling it & pull it from the shelves. No amount of tipping the bartenders will bring it back. Come on guys, I know you have more! LOL

• Like 2