Captains Club Elite Cocktail Hour

Happy news about happy hour. 

Re: Sky lounge event for Elite and beyond. One was scheduled for our recent Summit Pacific coastal but the Captains Club host(ess) couldn't chase those already ensconced there out in order to reserve the space. DH and I did meet one couple in the tiny section that was cordoned off for us.

Okay...

First, this is NOT much of an addition...more of a disguised takeaway.

I've recently completed three cruises for a combined 30 nights of cruising--back-to-back 12 nighters on Millennium and a 6 nighter on Summit.  And the experience with the Elite Cocktail Hours was interesting, to say the least.

First, us longtime Elite and above members recall when the event was really special--held in Michael's Club...with waiters who were incredibly attentive and with passed appetizers nightly.  Then, they converted Michael's to a Suite Lounge and moved the nightly event to Sky.  Not as intimate a room, but still, appetizers and outstanding service..

Then, because of the increasing numbers of Elite members (what happens with "reciprocity" and with free PUP credits), they went to in addition to the dedicated lounge, the ability to order free drinks at any bar (or, rather, many bars).  Some people liked that option, others of us didn't--we weren't availing ourselves of the free drink aspect (especially as we had been sold drink packages), but rather of the great service and the uncrowded room and those appetizers.

Then, the pandemic hit and Celebrity discontinued the dedicated lounge space in favor of just those meaningless uncharged drinks.

Well, a few months back, Celebrity announced the return of the Elite Cocktail Hours in a DEDICATED LOUNGE for 1 to 3 nights per cruise depending on the length of the cruise.

So, when we got to Millennium a few weeks ago, we looked forward to this,  The flyer in our room gave the three nights this was to be held and the location:  The Sky Lounge, 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm.

So, on the first of these nights, we showed up...only to find out that the Sky Lounge was filled to capacity...not a seat to be found.  That many Elite and above?  NO.  They booked the room for Music Trivia at 4:00 pm and General Trivia at 4:30 pm.  When 5:00 came, Trivia was not yet over...and NOBODY in any of those chairs/tables had any intention of leaving.  Of course, none of them even knew that a limited event was scheduled for the room.

This same pattern held for the next two Elite Cocktail nights as well...AND for the three on the following 12 night cruise.

On my 6 night cruise, they had one scheduled...and, again, same thing.  The Captain's Club hostess TRIED to put up signs to section off part of Sky...but no one paid attention...and she wasn't about to move anyone out..  A few of the least desirable tables opened up--the ones near the stage, tightly crowded and not near any windows opened up...and she tried to direct Elite members to those...BUT there was no special service...In fact, there was almost NO service as the understaffed bar waiters were overloaded and weren't even passing by that part of the room.

I read this "new" policy statement as Celebrity giving up on an Elite Cocktail Lounge completely.  But, rather than announcing that, they are trying to phrase it so it SOUNDS like a positive:  See--we are adding a night!  So, for those without a drink package, you've been granted a couple of extra drinks embarkation night--IF you can find a bar waiter to serve you!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jelayne said:

How about

Celebrity isn't Royal and we prefer Celebrity, Royal is available to those who prefer that cruise line.

I forgot to add your response to my previous list. So, sorry.

Remember who the parent company is.

35 minutes ago, asctony said:

Here is a pic of RCI HH snacks.

Screenshot_20240529_170227.jpg

That is not how they looked on my last RCL cruise 🤣

it was very sad looking 

it will take a lot to get me on another RCL cruise 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

That is not how they looked on my last RCL cruise 🤣

it was very sad looking 

it will take a lot to get me on another RCL cruise 

I'm just posting what I found. 

Love to see your pics. 

Yes, we have choices. 

We still cruise both X & RCI.

Personally I don't just cruise for the HH PERKS. 

People change their opinions on Cruise Lines daily. But they, the Cruise Lines, still survive and are fully booked now.

Edited by asctony

i agree with the comment  that the addition of Royal crossovers and other "perk people"  have resulted in overwhelming numbers,  and  a  diminution of what once was very  special...& exclusive.

We only go if its a sr officers event for E plus..hopefully less crowded!

3 hours ago, jelayne said:

When we travel with friends who use the HH nightly ( we don't as we have a beverage package) they prefer the ability to meet at different bars, preferring to find a quieter, less crowded spot.   

Our last cruise had over 800 Elites and above too many for most spaces to  comfortably handle even if only 1/2 attend.

Our recent TA had over 1600 Elite and above!

3 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

All the more reason to go with what RCCL does - the drink coupons you can use pretty much whenever and wherever.

and virgins drinsk are included , like Pina Colada

• Like 1

With this new boarding day HH.

How many nights will there be a HH in a selected area just for HH guests on a 7 day or longer cruise?

Recently it was only 2 for a 7 day cruise.

Before there were 5 on a 7 day cruise. Embarkation night & Sr. Officer Party night did not have HH.

4 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

Also, 4, 5, or 6 drinks in a couple hours is what we in NY call "Sunday Brunch." 🤣 

Same in the South..Cheers

3 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

They booked the room for Music Trivia at 4:00 pm and General Trivia at 4:30 pm.  When 5:00 came, Trivia was not yet over...and NOBODY in any of those chairs/tables had any intention of leaving.

if they booked those 2 game events that are always very popular, they had to know there would be little room left for an Elite event. Hope several people made a note on that to the cruise director.

1 hour ago, gold1953 said:

With numbers like that no way to have a dedicate space, nor would I want to attend a event of that size.

2 hours ago, gold1953 said:

Wow! I guess this shows that experienced cruisers know the value of a TA.

Or have already been everywhere.

Did you have a Music & Mixology event? We’ve attended two and loved them.

3 minutes ago, May B said:

We did it on the Edge.  It was in the Club and there was not enough space for all who wanted to attend.

11 minutes ago, jelayne said:

With numbers like that no way to have a dedicate space, nor would I want to attend a event of that size.

Obviously everyone who is eligible is not going to attend for a variety of reasons with a big one being many already have drink packages so there is little appeal. 

• Like 1

Of course this happens after my 3 day cruise!

I've been on both Celebrity and Royal.  I am not a big drinker.  Prefer Coke Zero and craft beers which the lines don't have (I'm picky).  Will drink a good mojito or a margarita but only 1.  I have 5 vouchers a day.  I like to use them during the day.  It was a little different for me to wait until 5pm for a soda especially on CocoCay.  I did end up buying a drink which was fine.  I just had to get used to it.  Overall, yes, I definitely like the vouchers better.  We can't justify the drink package.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jelayne said:

Surprisingly not many attended. They actually had some events twice and gave us our time to attend

• Like 1

7 hours ago, May B said:

We did not attend. The first couple of time on other ships it was great . 3rd time on another ship it was not well done

12 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

Happy news about happy hour. 

Re: Sky lounge event for Elite and beyond. One was scheduled for our recent Summit Pacific coastal but the Captains Club host(ess) couldn't chase those already ensconced there out in order to reserve the space. DH and I did meet one couple in the tiny section that was cordoned off for us.

Yes, I also liked the event in the lounge because of the opportunity to meet other people.

14 hours ago, doghog said:

We'd like to see the CC would bring back the pre shutdown CC HH. 

The change from drink tickets and the Sky Lounge to unlimited drinks, 5-7, wasn’t related to the COVID shutdown, it was introduced January, 2019.

• Like 1

Used to be a nice gathering in Michaels to socialize...now it's more about the drinks.  We have a drink package so for us, no need!

Sr officers party is still ok..unless they open it to gen admission.