6/20/24: Double Cruise Credits for Captain's Circle Guests with Princess Cruises' New Loyalty Accelerator Program

17 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Not sure why there is any negativity toward this.  It is a 4 month promotion.  Not a sea change in the way they do business (pun intended.)  I am sure that someone in accounting has seen the impact that using OBC to purchase packages has had on anticipated revenue generated from packages, and this is a way to test out a fix.  I suppose they could have announced the following: "Princess is proud to launch its new program disallowing OBC to be used to purchase packages while on board.  From sailings commencing between September 1 through December 1, guests will NOT be allowed to use OBC to purchase packages while on board."  Would we like that better?   For those complaining about this promotion swelling the ranks of Elites, exactly how many people do you think will earn Elite status as a result of this 4 month promotion? Surely can't be enough to move the meter. 

And finally, serious question for those who would like to see a higher level of status: what benefits would you like to see included in that higher tier?  (And no fair starting any bullet point item with "FREE".  That ain't happening.)  As @SCX22 aptly pointed out above, the way cruise fares, packages and on-line check-in now operate, Elite benefits aren't all that meaningful.  Is there really a burning desire to add more not-so-meaningful benefits into a higher tier?  Sure, people would like "discounted this" or "free that". But with packages being the wave of the present and future, Princess isn't going to add benefits that discourage people from buying them.  If they give away too many Specialty Dinners and give away too much alcohol, would Elites ever buy a package?

As I mentioned in another thread about "Sales", with the way packages have been rolled out coupled with the promise of early bookings getting the best prices, there is very little wiggle room for Princess to conduct sales as we used to know them.  Lower fares, free beverage packages, gratuities included are all gone as bait for the hook.  So they have to find new, innovative ways to attract business.  This is a four month test.  Doesn't seem like such a bad idea to me.  (Full disclosure--I fortuitously have a cruise booked for this block of time, so I get the benefit of it.  I suppose that clouds my judgment a bit.)

I’m not concerned about this program at all. My kids and I earned elite long ago and it really does nothing for us these days other than free laundry. For our cruise style, an upgrade to the premiere package if you buy the plus would be a nice upper level perk. Buying plus as elite kind of invalidates the perks of having a mini bar and wifi discount, the medallion green lane thing means you no longer really benefit from any priority at embarkation…i would definitely find benefit in a package upgrade (similar to the upgrade to higher insurance tier they offer - which has also been negated for those of us living in BC since we are no longer eligible for cruise line insurance but can’t blame princess for that one).

I think princess and likely all lines are finding that loyalty is a 2 way street - passengers (like myself) that were loyal to one line are now trying out others and seeing what’s out there. I never thought I would stray from princess (we can thank the app disaster for that) but I’m glad I have. Some things on other lines are a million times better. Others, a million times worse. I will never complain about a $60 plus package again - we sail on RC in august and the drink package alone is $70 a day. Wifi $24 a day. CA $16 a day. And forget any added dining.,,The grass isn’t always greener!

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

The article below is an interesting bit on how cruise lines make money. If it is to be believed, then about 34% of Carnival Corp money comes from on board spending. And they say that those who buy packages prior to boarding spend more once on board. 
I do not consider this a money grab, I think of it as a good business practice.  If Princess wasn’t trying to attract new cruisers or maximize passenger revenue I’d be worried!  
I like sailing on different lines for different reasons. Princess so far has stayed in that mix. 

https://apple.news/A0b50z4YjQ06PM9DEeTGZIg

I hope the link works. It is an article by the points guy about how cruise lines make money. 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, slidemaster5 said:

FYI - If you are complaining please at least blame (1) the marketing group for coming up with this and (2) senior management for approving marketing's idea. As a former "bean counter" / "pencil neck" for over 40 years in corporate America, the accounting/finance area does not come up with these ideas to annoy people. 

Maybe it wasn't their intent but it sure has irritated quite a few. 

2 minutes ago, 555 said:

Maybe it wasn't their intent but it sure has irritated quite a few. 

I just wanted to remind people to at least aim their vitriol at the correct group. Email Padgett with your complaints. Or bash him on his LinkedIn account. 

Princess clientele is the older, mostly retired crowd with plenty of time on their hands to complain. I should know, in the past year I have retired, booked Princess cruises and increased my complaining. If Padgett was smart, Princess Plus would include unlimited Metamucil and early bid dining to boost the package sales.

• Haha 5

12 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

The article below is an interesting bit on how cruise lines make money. If it is to be believed, then about 34% of Carnival Corp money comes from on board spending. And they say that those who buy packages prior to boarding spend more once on board. 
I do not consider this a money grab, I think of it as a good business practice.  If Princess wasn’t trying to attract new cruisers or maximize passenger revenue I’d be worried!  
I like sailing on different lines for different reasons. Princess so far has stayed in that mix. 

I hope the link works. It is an article by the points guy about how cruise lines make money. 

The link worked and is very interesting.  Thanks for posting!  
We have a lot of OBC on one of our upcoming cruises and was just going to wait to buy the package once onboard.  Seven extra days just isn’t enough incentive for us to buy it beforehand.  Because it’s on the second leg of a B2B, they may allow us to buy it ahead of time using our OBC?  Would we still get the extra days?  Who knows?  
Of note, on the TSE cruise with a ton of OBC, we upgraded from the $50 plus to the premier package ahead of time and no regrets there 😉 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cruise Raider said:

Because it’s on the second leg of a B2B, they may allow us to buy it ahead of time using our OBC?

I would hope so as this would fit within the stated parameters. It says you have to buy it in advance but doesn’t preclude OBC specifically.  let us know!  

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Years ago I had heard that cruise lines make at least half of their profit on onboard spending which is why they frantically used to send out those last minute emails to fill cabins for a steal for a ship that wouldn't otherwise sail full.  The shift in numbers downward doesn't surprise me as they are getting more $$ upfront on the packages.  It appears that they are trying to boost this even more with the current promo.  If it succeeds this very well could be added as a permanent feature of the packages.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, slidemaster5 said:

I just wanted to remind people to at least aim their vitriol at the correct group. Email Padgett with your complaints. Or bash him on his LinkedIn account. 

For what, exactly?  How dare Princess give people extra credits for a four month period!  Mr. Padgett--What could you possibly have been thinking in providing people with "more" in a time of "less".  Seriously, folks.  What here justifies "vitriol" and "bashing"?   I cannot for the life of me picture in my mind's eye what a vitriolic bashing email or social media post would look like in response to this program.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I would hope so as this would fit within the stated parameters. It says you have to buy it in advance but doesn’t preclude OBC specifically.  let us know!  

We are going in August so, will definitely let you know how it works out.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

Years ago I had heard that cruise lines make at least half of their profit on onboard spending which is why they frantically used to send out those last minute emails to fill cabins for a steal for a ship that wouldn't otherwise sail full.  The shift in numbers downward doesn't surprise me as they are getting more $$ upfront on the packages.  It appears that they are trying to boost this even more with the current promo.  If it succeeds this very well could be added as a permanent feature of the packages.

I had seen a post about a year ago where someone assumed that about 75% of passengers purchased the packages.  I’m sure the demographics and itineraries play a large part of how many passengers purchase a package, either beforehand or onboard.  But after talking to a crew member, I believe the percentage is a lot closer to 30% for the cruises we tend to take (out from the west coast).  I think his words were, we would be lucky to reach our goal of 30%.  
I am sure that for some, the packages don’t really have a huge value but for us, they do.  That may change in time.  But for now, this little perk of double the days for us is a nice touch and not really costing us anything extra than what we already would purchase.  

• Like 1

WE are on the Discovery in Sept.  So, if every  3,600  passenger signs up for that trial program and they take the Premier package not everyone will be able to reserve a chair in one of the specialty restaurants.  That is because of the normal 1 to 1 1/2 hour spent on a meal. 

Back in April were also on the Discovery and could not make a reservation in any specialty restaurant on the that beloved APP.  The pressure for reservations will be more intense with more people trying to take advantage of their package. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I had seen a post about a year ago where someone assumed that about 75% of passengers purchased the packages.  I’m sure the demographics and itineraries play a large part of how many passengers purchase a package, either beforehand or onboard.  But after talking to a crew member, I believe the percentage is a lot closer to 30% for the cruises we tend to take (out from the west coast).  I think his words were, we would be lucky to reach our goal of 30%.  
I am sure that for some, the packages don’t really have a huge value but for us, they do.  That may change in time.  But for now, this little perk of double the days for us is a nice touch and not really costing us anything extra than what we already would purchase.  

About the package buy-in pre-boarding, this is also what I observed in my recent Alaska sailing out from SAn Francisco - partly based on the fact that the blue lane really snaked around while the green lane is empty with half of a dozen iPad stations setup.  This is based on my assumption packaged people would take advantage of the medallion free shipping and not needing to pick up at the port.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

I can see from some of the comments on this post, but my question is “why”?  

They're just diluting the Elite level even more by making it more crowded in the Platinum/Elite lounge, more crowded on tenders, longer line at guest services and slowing down the laundry service. You'll hardly be able to get you clothing back in 5 or 6 days if you send it in on day 2.

Not that being Elite mans much these days but it was something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

For what, exactly?  How dare Princess give people extra credits for a four month period!  Mr. Padgett--What could you possibly have been thinking in providing people with "more" in a time of "less".  Seriously, folks.  What here justifies "vitriol" and "bashing"?   I cannot for the life of me picture in my mind's eye what a vitriolic bashing email or social media post would look like in response to this program.  

Many of the same people bashing Princess for not coming through with more dining options on June 17.

44 minutes ago, 4x4bob said:

WE are on the Discovery in Sept.  So, if every  3,600  passenger signs up for that trial program and they take the Premier package not everyone will be able to reserve a chair in one of the specialty restaurants.  That is because of the normal 1 to 1 1/2 hour spent on a meal. 

Back in April were also on the Discovery and could not make a reservation in any specialty restaurant on the that beloved APP.  The pressure for reservations will be more intense with more people trying to take advantage of their package. 

We were on Discovery in March/April and unable to make reservations on the App, but had no trouble getting a reservation directly at Sabatinis. In fact, a woman in front of us didn’t have a reservation and was seated. Of course this was at 5:00.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, 555 said:

They're just diluting the Elite level even more by making it more crowded in the Platinum/Elite lounge, more crowded on tenders, longer line at guest services and slowing down the laundry service. You'll hardly be able to get you clothing back in 5 or 6 days if you send it in on day 2.

Tenders only hold a limited number of people at a time so they can’t get any more crowded and Princess already prioritizes excursions over Elite now. We avoid all lines at embarkation by arriving after 1:00 and walking right on. Remember people also screamed when they went from days to cruise credits and people did a bunch of 3 or 4 day cruises solo or in a suite to get to elite quicker  The lounges and tenders are not more crowded now then 15 years ago 

Edited by memoak
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, billco said:

We were on Discovery in March/April and unable to make reservations on the App, but had no trouble getting a reservation directly at Sabatinis. In fact, a woman in front of us didn’t have a reservation and was seated. Of course this was at 5:00.

We also never reserve in advance and have never had a problem gettin booked once on board sometimes just walking up at 7:30 or 8:00

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, 555 said:

I get your point but every cruise we seem to be on has had an inordinate number of elites already, as evidenced by seeing the same people winning the most traveled passengers on nearly every cruise.  Thus, we really don’t think a few more would dilute those perks any.  
With that being said, we’ve attained that status years ago and have rarely sent out laundry to be done and rarely go on tenders, so I can’t really speak to those perks.  
The elite and suite guest services line doesn’t really go faster as there is usually only one GS rep for that counter spot and people seem to just merge anyway.  We usually split up in the lines and see which one goes faster.  
I’ve not yet seen a crowded suite/elite lounge and we oftentimes go there for a snack and visiting others instead of eating a full sit down dinner.  Maybe your experiences have been different. 
For those real and/or perceived inconveniences, I still just don’t see why anybody would be all that upset about others sharing in those things that you appreciate.  
And sure, I think another tier would be great.  Instead of making it harder for those to attain their elite level, I’d like to see something like a 50% discount to upgrade from Plus to Premier, $10 a day pp vs $20.  That would be a real treat for us, even if it didn’t include the specialty restaurant reservations.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4x4bob said:

They do only sell a limited number of premier packages so they won’t oversell the capacity that is available at the specialty restaurants.  They can always sell unlimited numbers for the plus packages, though. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

And sure, I think another tier would be great.  Instead of making it harder for those to attain their elite level, I’d like to see something like a 50% discount to upgrade from Plus to Premier, $10 a day pp vs $20.  That would be a real treat for us, even if it didn’t include the specialty restaurant reservations.  

I think this is a great idea but I would want it to include the specialty dining.

I really don’t drink very much but my friends and I like to purchase the plus package because we like everything paid for in advance. I really like not needing to keep track of expenses when we order other beverages. So, Princess could make money on me purchasing Plus and then make more by selling me Premier at 50% off… Perfect. 

• Like 2

Congrats to those who benefit from it.

I only take advantage of laundry service once during a cruise, if at all, 1/2 price wifi, shop discount, excursion discount, and a mini bar set up.

I imagine that these things will disappear shortly.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

They need a higher tier above Elite for something like 50+ cruises. RCL did this with a new Pinnacle level. Those of us who earned our cruise credits and days the fair way are being slapped in the face.  Shame on Princess.

THE REAL LOOSERS ARE PEOPLE WHO DON'T DRINK LIKE MYSELF AND WOULD NEVER PURCHASE AN ALCOHOL PACKAGE !!!!

Edited by cruzsnooze
  • Like 1