How's the buffet food?

Going on the Reflection to the ABCs next year. We are not dressy people, so we are wanting to know how the food is on the buffet for dinner. 

Do they severe prime rib there on formal nights? What about lobster?

I've seen pictures, and it looks like a nice spread. But pictures aren't everything.

Do you have a favorite buffet dish?

Thanks!

30 minutes ago, mkcurran said:

Going on the Reflection to the ABCs next year. We are not dressy people, so we are wanting to know how the food is on the buffet for dinner. 

I've seen pictures, and it looks like a nice spread. But pictures aren't everything.

Thanks!

We have liked everything we have had there except for the Mexican line, which has been surprisingly tasteless. The Indian food is good, the stirfry is good, and most nights they have a special cuisine like Greek or French and we like the Greek best

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, mkcurran said:

Thanks!

No lobster or filet mignon.  However, you can order a steak cooked to your desire.  They also have a carving station with items that rotate such as turkey, lamb, beef, ham, etc.  .  Each night, there is usually a theme night.  Italian, Mexican, Greek, Asian, English, German, etc.  I do like eating there as it is quiet and often you can see staff and performers eating there.  There is also an outdoor dining area where you can bring your food to.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

I have never seen lobster. I have seen them carve a Roast beef at the carving station but not necessarily on chic night. 

PXL_20221026_171511288.jpg

PXL_20221026_171508307.jpg

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Nice…. i’m thinking they don’t do that on every cruise though. Was that at lunch or dinner?

That was at lunch time. We had just had lunch at Sushi on Five and we're walking through the buffet. We don't usually eat double meals but we made an exception this time.

On an earlier cruise, they had fresh mussels.  lobster.thumb.jpg.9566f6fd9bd233e5a72da83bc44bfefe.jpg

mussels.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mkcurran said:

Thanks!

The ONLY thing I will eat at the buffet is from the carving station, but I have never seen prime rib.  The veggies that accompany the carving station are usually very good as well.

• Like 1

I've been on 2 Celebrity cruises. The first one I ate most meals in the buffet - it was quite good. Baked Potatoes were always available - the Indian section was very good, and they always had a specialty section that rotated with freshly prepared items. This was the Solstice in 2022

The second cruise was a drastic downgrade for the buffet. No Baked Potatoes, The Indian Food was very watered down (literally.. it was like a watery stew), the specialty section had an extremely long line whenever it was open, and quite a few times on the salad bar didn't look fresh. For breakfast, they were using some type of liquid egg to make omelets. Fortunately, I had any time dining and the MDR on that cruise was excellent.  This was Millenium in 2023. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mkcurran said:

Thanks!

No prime rib or lobster, but there is a grill station that makes chicken, pork, seafood, and steak which tends to be my favorite.  There's a way to get your lobster and/or prime rib without going to the MDR and that is room service.  There will be a $12 fee but that's per order so each of you can order off the MDR menu for dinner, so a soup, salad, a couple of starters, a lobster (usually only offered once on sailings that are at least 7 nights), a steak, and desserts

In the Main Dining Room (MDR) for dinner, a woman can wear nearly anything and guys are within the rules with unripped long pants including jeans and a polo.  Crew member dress code enforcement is rather relaxed

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

No prime rib or lobster, but there is a grill station that makes chicken, pork, seafood, and steak which tends to be my favorite.  There's a way to get your lobster and/or prime rib without going to the MDR and that is room service.  There will be a $12 fee but that's per order so each of you can order off the MDR menu for dinner, so a soup, salad, a couple of starters, a lobster (usually only offered once on sailings that are at least 7 nights), a steak, and desserts

In the Main Dining Room (MDR) for dinner, a woman can wear nearly anything and guys are within the rules with unripped long pants including jeans and a polo.  Crew member dress code enforcement is rather relaxed

I love your profile pic. I am a Happy Gilmore fan!

• Thanks 1

Just now, 39august said:

There is always a pasta station with several different pastas and sauces from which to choose. 

FYI for everyone, like the pizza, the pasta station is offered most of the day even when the buffet is closed.  If you're the kind of person who wants a meal between dinner and lunch, you may want to have the pasta then as food options are fairly limited between meals  which is true for most mass-market cruise lines 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, 39august said:

There is always a pasta station with several different pastas and sauces from which to choose. 

The pasta is always overcooked and sauces too bland. I find the buffet food in general lacks flavour. I've gone there for breakfast if the MDR is closed for eggs Benedict but they have to be made to order. 

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Harrisonkid said:

I have to agree that the Ocean View can be hit or miss on the same cruise. The beauty is if something is not to your liking just try something else 

The Korma curry and Basmati rice is excellent almost as good as what I make at home. Unfortunately it changes every day to different Indian dish. Pappadums always there even though can be little greasy.

• Like 1

I find the indian curries too mild.  I did the Taj Experience and actually found one dish that was too spicy for me, then again I did manage to finish all of it.  My DW does not do spicy food so I was having both portions of most stuff. 

The one improvement I would really like to see is offering potato bread for the hamburger buns. The buns they have in the buffet tend to dry out quickly and simply fall apart before you can finish the burger.  

• Like 1

I always find something I like there, and I also find the further aft you go on the ship seating is easier to find..

Made to order eggs in the morning is always good and I enjoy the pasta area, they will kick it up a notch if you ask..

• Like 3

We were just on the Equinox and also didn't always feel up for getting dressed for dinner, so several nights we just did the buffet. We looked through the MDR menus and just picked the few nights (like Lobster night) that we definitely didn't want to miss, and otherwise we just played it by ear based on how hot and tired we were after our port days. The buffet food was excellent - always lots of really great options. Everyone in our party has different tastes and we were all happy.

• Like 6