Cruising and Star Trek

Beaker88

Anybody ever notice a connection between cruising and Star Trek? I took my first cruise when Star Trek the next generation was on tv and I remember hearing people say "this is what it must be like to be on the enterprise. I saw a video with cruise director Casey Pelter comparing the bridge of the Adventure of the Seas to the Enterprise. Any thoughts?

Sure. When I mentioned to a non-cruising colleague that my ship had to tender into port he asked, "what's that?" I answered "shuttle craft" and he immediately got it.

The bridge of QM2 looks more reminiscent of USS Enterprise TOS than RMS Titanic.

Edited by BlueRiband

One of the "stupid questions" you hear the Cruise Director joking about on every line is "Which elevator takes us to the front of the ship?" The CD usually goes on to say "This isn't the Starship Enterprise."

The bridge of a cruise ship is no more "advanced" or "futuristic" than the bridge of any recently built ship, container, tanker, bulker, or RO/RO. The only differences are that some of the systems are larger (like fire detection panels), and there are more, better dressed people on the bridge. While the Oasis will have 4 people on the bridge and 2-3 in the engine room 24/7, the world's largest ship, capable of lifting the weight of 4 Oasis class ships, has 2 on the bridge round the clock, and no one in the engine room for 12-16 hours a day.

We took the "ultimate ship tour" on the Ruby Princess and the last stop was the bridge. At one point the Captain waited until he figured all of us had noticed one of the crewmembers before talking about him. The crewmember was the one with the binoculars keeping watch. No matter how many fancy electronic gadgets the ship has there still is a certain amount of "old school" type things going on.

I'm going to remember the "shuttle craft" analogy - I've gotten funny looks when I tell people about going ashore in the tender.

Anybody ever notice a connection between cruising and Star Trek? I took my first cruise when Star Trek the next generation was on tv and I remember hearing people say "this is what it must be like to be on the enterprise. I saw a video with cruise director Casey Pelter comparing the bridge of the Adventure of the Seas to the Enterprise. Any thoughts?

Star Trek's mission was to "to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before." Cruising' mission is to seek out Senor Frogs and tacking souvenir stores and boldly goes to Nassau over and over and over again. So no, I never noticed a connection. ;)

Edited by DirtyDawg

Sure. When I mentioned to a non-cruising colleague that my ship had to tender into port he asked, "what's that?" I answered "shuttle craft" and he immediately got it.

The bridge of QM2 looks more reminiscent of USS Enterprise TOS than RMS Titanic.

Did Star Trek TOS use shuttle craft? I thought everything was transported.....after they called the Enterprise on their flip phones.

Edited by calliopecruiser

Did Star Trek TOS use shuttle craft? I thought everything was transported.....after they called the Enterprise on their flip phones.

They certainly did have shuttle craft on TOS.

Here's Galileo:

star_trek_shuttlecraft_prop_sells_for_70000_at_auction_6sjdf.jpg

Well, there *was* the SNL episode with Patrick Stewart called, "Love Boat: The Next Generation". Love Trek costuming group has been wearing those uniforms for 20 years this year. :)

fdf1a5b79aaef81d1717332a26f5a53c.jpg

01587174f40b20e21836d32adb1f2b59.jpg

8b7bf7b706223caa84a4b83231cf3370.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I would trust Windjammer fresh food over a replicator [emoji851]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love this comparison! I'm still waiting for replicators and transporters to become a reality on cruise ships, though. Hopefully one day, we'll be able to order "Earl grey, hot" :D.

You can order "Earl grey, hot" just go to the cafe on promenade say it and hand over your seapass card lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just think. If a cruise ship was equipped with phasers and photon torpedoes, they could cruise ANYWHERE without fear of being attacked by pirates. :rolleyes::D

I love this comparison! I'm still waiting for replicators and transporters to become a reality on cruise ships, though. Hopefully one day, we'll be able to order "Earl grey, hot" :D.

So the RCCL robot barman dispensing synthohol is getting closer?:eek:

Little bleepy badges will do away with walkie-talkies on board.

Beaming around everywhere solves the tendering problem (and the elevator problem!).

Klingon security guards - solves the obnoxious drunk problem at a stroke.

After this thread, if I ever see a ship's captain performing 'the Picard maneuver' I shall ROTFLMAO.

As for the new itineraries - I can see some upside here...:rolleyes:

Little bleepy badges will do away with walkie-talkies on board.:

That's the smart watch using the social media plan to communicate with each other through messenger apps now. :)

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I would trust Windjammer fresh food over a replicator [emoji851]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not me. With the replicator you don't need to worry about the unhygienic slobs at the buffet.