QM2 Grills refit pics

Ray66

Just received an email from Cunard about the QM2 refit in the Grills.

Queen Mary 2's refit in spring 2016 will further enhance the unique Cunard Grills, redefining the ultimate Cunard experience and establishing the new standard for luxury ocean travel. A brand new look for all the Grills Suites and both Grills restaurants combined with a dining and service enhancements will ensure the prestigious Grills experience remains the very finest at sea.

All Queens Grill and Princess Grill Suites are being refurbished with a dramatic new look that uses contemporary craftsmanship with subtle references to Cunard's heritage. All suites will be reconfigured to maximise space along with bespoke luxury carpets, soft furnishings and exclusive artwork.

The Grill restaurants will both be reconfigured to offer more sought after tables for two while the brand new décor and furnishings will ensure a beautiful and elegant environment to complement the enticing menus and the pinnacle of White Star Service

348127r.jpg

30su8b6.jpg

2lo6wzd.jpg

Edited by Ray66

Yes, just received that too.

Looks impressive tbh. The suites and restaurants are due for a facelift & that seems a good move to me. Like the restaurant idea and the suite decor.

Not keen on the loss of deck space for extra accommodation. That area could have been better utilised for either more/better sports/activities or actually doing something useful with that pointless & ridiculous "splash pool" that nobody ever uses. That would have made a handy "adult only" pool/spa/seating area or just make it a decent sized pool!

More people & less space doesn't make it a more attractive proposition, at all.

That aside, I'd go for the new look QG - maybe not until 2018, when I retire. Booked on the new Regent ship, Explorer, for Sept 16 - now that really does look the business. Think Cunard have got to up their game to compete with Regent, Silversea, Oceania & Crystal, possibly not with QM2 - which has a different raison d'être to the others. Good to see them keeping pace, at least cosmetically & aesthetically.

Rooms are ugly...today's sterile grey/modern look with that 1970s wood looking table and that metal looking art...A sofa at the end of the bed?! how are you to unpack? ..the grills look a tat bit better than the suites..looks like some deco art against the wall... Then again after what they are going to do to the ship profile after they drop a deck on the upper deck and cram little cabins into the public spaces this is minor...I must get one more TA in before the original look of the QM2 is gone...I knew they would ruin the deco feel with some silly trendy look.

Edited by sfbearcat

Generally I like the look of the suites. I do not however like sofas at the bottom of the bed and am very surprised that the Q 5-7's will not get individual showers - that is one of the very nice features of QE and QV Queens Grill suites - I suppose that would be a bit more structural rather than cosmetic.

Love the proposed new décor and furnishing in the Queen's Suites. I also like the settee at the bottom of the bed. Plenty of room for unpacking in the walk-in dressing room/wardrobe I find. Or ask your butler to oblige. :)

I like the new look :) .

Having the sofa at the bottom of the bed means you can watch the TV from the bed or the sofa.

I would imagine that, if you asked the butler to arrange it, the sofa could be moved back to its current location while you had the cabin, if you are unhappy with it at the bottom of the bed.

The curtain seems to have vanished between the cabin proper and the dressing area in the QG suite, I hope that is merely an artistic mistake (it is shown in Princess Grill I think?).

The incredibly comfortable "steamer chairs" seemed to have been replaced with a chair and footstool, another thing to look out for.

As for "more tables for two", I always feel that if you are sat closer to the person next to you, than the person opposite you, it is not really a table for two! Time and experience will tell if there really are more tables for two, or actually more "four seaters" with a small gap (the two tables for two near centre/right in the Queens Grill CGI render for example (see above, first picture) look more like a table for four to me).

I'm looking forward to seeing the reality of all of these CGI renders, however past experience has shown they are usually very accurate.

Thanks for posting the link (I was asked to do a small survey about the website).

Edited by pepperrn

I like the new look :) .

Having the sofa at the bottom of the bed means you can watch the TV from the bed or the sofa.

).

I see now! - the TV seems to be on the wall (above where the sofa used to be). That's one reason the sofa has moved.

I did have to chuckle at some of the text on the Cunard site. Such bespokeness! Bespoke carpet AND architectural motifs. I guess I should be grateful that nothing was "artisanal" nor "curated."

Good one. Agree totally!

Much more modern and chic, with the right amount of Art Deco inspiration. I like what i see thus far. Some points i would like to raise though, where is the TV in the PG suite? QG has it on the wall opposite the bed, but the digital render has a painting on the wall opposite the bed in the PG suite. Notice the steamer chairs have gone, which is a shame! they were such a traditional feature. The showers appear to still have curtains, most new ships these days are moving away from the whole curtain thing and using glass instead which is much nicer. All in all though, I'm loving this refit thus far, she so badly needs one.. she is no Queen of the seas at the moment based on her current condition. She has definitely slipped behind the eight ball re the type of luxury one would expect based on the ridiculous Grills pricing.

I like what i see thus far. Some points i would like to raise though, where is the TV in the PG suite? QG has it on the wall opposite the bed, but the digital render has a painting on the wall opposite the bed in the PG suite.

Maybe the TV is going to be somewhere opposite the sofa?

Princess-Gril-%20P1-P2-Render.jpg

While I do like the modernised Grills accomodation and restaurants, I do hope Cunard extends the "remastered" (no doubt inspired by Etihad's successful "reimagined" campaign) look throughout the ship. To not do so would be an aesthetic error. I just hope they do justice to the Commodore Club! I'm sure they will, judging by the mock ups. I'm also very glad to see dashes of blue in the PG restaurant - a bold uplift from the current colour palette of beige, medium beige, and slightly darker beige.

The key thing with the remastering of the ship's interior spaces will be to ensure the chic "bespoke" designs are not only visually pleasing but also practical. Yes, the current Grills colour palette is subdued in comparison, but it has a certain charm to it and the furnishings are comfortable. Im a little wary of the faux wicker deck furniture. It looks nice, but will it be practical and comfortable? The same goes for the suites' lounges and chairs. I've experienced this quite a few times with modern hotels - everything looks good, but it simply isn't practical to actually sit down or do anything in the space. Hopefully Cunard creates a living space rather than a show space.

Future plans aside, I am sure I'll find the ship in good condition come January. Despite criticisms levelled by a minority of posters, I don't think Mary could be worse for wear anymore than any other passenger ship operating 24/7/365. Granted, it has been just over a year since I was on board. Maybe everything has gone to ruin since, or maybe some people's expectations need slight adjustment. I'm eager to find out. Maybe I can use the extra hour gained each day on a WB TA to take maintenance inventory :)

Hello Ray66,

Thank you very much for the pictures, very good they are too.Even though I am a non Grills traveller I was still very impressed by what I saw.I hope though that when they do the refit they don't forget the rest of us.There are a lot of us Britannia people.

Rodger.

Edited by foster269

Thanks for alerting us to Cunard's announcement. From what I recall of the focus group presentation, the Grill restaurants seem to be exactly what was shown to us except for the QG chairs. We were shown a "barrel" type chair and there were comments that it would be awkward to get in and out of them.

Our presentation of PG staterooms showed an LDC screen on the wall opposite the bed with two chairs and a table for viewing. Reception to this was favorable in our group but it must have tested poorly in others since it's not in the new renderings. Apparently people liked the sofa and without it the PG suites won't be able to accommodate a 3rd person on a sofa bed.

I agree that the new renderings show much more space between the desk chair and bed then is there now. Perhaps the drawers/shelving is to be compacted? Many thought a desk was essential and that it be deep enough to accommodate a laptop.