Inside Passage - Ruby vs Emerald

ckb104

I know that the ships are identical, but I'm looking for opinions on the different itineraries. Also, preferences, pros/cons, etc. on Glacier Bay vs Tracy Arm cruising. Would it be worth a couple hundred extra dollars to see Glacier Bay? All opinions welcome.

This is obviously my opinion.... Spend the extra money... the glaciers won't be around forever and you won't regret it. Glacier Bay National Park (https://www.nps.gov/glba/index.htm) is beautiful and makes the Glacier viewing experience over the top. My first Alaska cruise went to Tracy's Arm... we got a long distance view of a glacier that was less than awe inspiring. It used to be that only Princess North/South bound cruises routinely visited Glacier Bay so the rest were sent to Tracy's arm. My Alaska cruise in May will be my 3rd visit to Glacier Bay, I wouldn't book another Tracy's Arm cruise.

Patty

It's worth a few hundred more dollars to me to go to Glacier Bay instead of Tracy Arm! Tracy Arm can be anywhere from spectacular to very disappointing, depending on how far down the ship can actually go. I can't see how Glacier Bay would ever be any less than spectacular.

I had the same question you did last year. We picked Emerald in July. Will be going to Tracey Arm. Like you mentioned same size ship. I looked at youtube videos of both Glacier Bay and Tracey Arm. They both look good to me.

We've been to Tracy Arm a couple of times. Nice, but, nothing like what we have seen of the pictures reviewers have posted here of Glacier Bay. We are booked on the Emerald for 2018 specifically to see Glacier Bay. YMMV.

I've done both Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay numerous times and if I had to choose I'd do Glacier Bay in a heartbeat. You see more in the way of glaciers and it isn't as apt to be iced up. Tracy Arm has a beauty of its own as you go up the fjord but often you can't get really close which is disappointing. We did do an excursion out of Juneau one year (on Holland) that took us back up Tracy Arm and we got so much closer, but it was a much smaller vessel. My first choice for glaciers is Hubbard - truly magnificent - but Glacier Bay is definitely a very, very close 2nd.

Karen

I had the same question you did last year. We picked Emerald in July. Will be going to Tracey Arm. Like you mentioned same size ship. I looked at youtube videos of both Glacier Bay and Tracey Arm. They both look good to me.

Hi This is 12th Alaskan cruise All from Seattle This year for the second in 11years we are going to Tracy Arm only because the price If you have not been tonGlacier Bay you will be missing the very best Glacier Bay is Spectacular You will see many more whales and the last couple years bears Don't miss Glacier Bay it truly is the best Most time youbwill not get to the glacier in Tracy arm and a lot less wildlife becuase of the vertical walls of the canyon that go straight down without a bank Very nice but not at all like Glacier Bay National Park:cool:

If you haven't been to either, I would definitely add my vote for Glacier Bay. In addition to the glaciers themselves, there are a couple of National Park rangers on the ship while at Glacier Bay. One does commentary from the bridge. Another one will be working with the kids. Although the naturalists generally do a good job at other places, I think the National Park rangers are a step above.

I would recommend Tracy Arm on a later cruise if you go back. But definitely Glacier Bay first if you can.

This is obviously my opinion.... Spend the extra money... the glaciers won't be around forever and you won't regret it. Glacier Bay National Park (https://www.nps.gov/glba/index.htm) is beautiful and makes the Glacier viewing experience over the top. My first Alaska cruise went to Tracy's Arm... we got a long distance view of a glacier that was less than awe inspiring. It used to be that only Princess North/South bound cruises routinely visited Glacier Bay so the rest were sent to Tracy's arm. My Alaska cruise in May will be my 3rd visit to Glacier Bay, I wouldn't book another Tracy's Arm cruise.

Patty

I agree. On our first Alaska cruise in September 2008, we did the southbound Voyage of the Glaciers from Whittier to Vancouver on the Sapphire Princess. Tracy Arm was a disappointment as you are so far away from it as Patty states above. Glacier Bay is awesome. You get so close to the Grand Pacific Glacier. We were fortunate to video the glacier calving. Spectacular. So Glacier Bay has my vote.

We are on the Emerald Princess on May 13 out of Vancouver doing Sitka, Glacier Bay, Juneau and Ketchikan.

Enjoy your cruise in May.

Paul

• 5 weeks later...

It is my understanding that if you take the Emerald Princess you can opt to transfer to a small boat excursion to Tracy Arms (or Endicott Arms if it is too icy in Tracy Arms). Emerald Princess is scheduled to be in Tracy Arms from 5AM until 9 AM and at some point you transfer from the Emerald to the excursion boat which then goes up the fjord for a 6 hour trip; returning to the Emerald at the pier in Juneau.

Is this true???

It is my understanding that if you take the Emerald Princess you can opt to transfer to a small boat excursion to Tracy Arms (or Endicott Arms if it is too icy in Tracy Arms). Emerald Princess is scheduled to be in Tracy Arms from 5AM until 9 AM and at some point you transfer from the Emerald to the excursion boat which then goes up the fjord for a 6 hour trip; returning to the Emerald at the pier in Juneau.

Is this true???

Yes, we have this excursion booked for our upcoming cruise... it is pricey, but the feedback from others is that it's worth it. Anxious to find out myself 😃

JMO, but I feel if you choose to do Tracy Arm, going later in the AK season may increase the chances that you can get way up in the fjord and see the glacier better.

When I did it in early June, we didn't get as far up it as when I went again in September.

Personally, I love the scenery in Tracy Arm. Lots of waterfalls, and a lot of small glaciers as you cruise in and out of the fjord. Just keep scanning the surrounding terrain, looking for patches of blue ice!

JMO, but I feel if you choose to do Tracy Arm, going later in the AK season may increase the chances that you can get way up in the fjord and see the glacier better.

When I did it in early June, we didn't get as far up it as when I went again in September.

Personally, I love the scenery in Tracy Arm. Lots of waterfalls, and a lot of small glaciers as you cruise in and out of the fjord. Just keep scanning the surrounding terrain, looking for patches of blue ice!

Thanks for the feedback. we are doing Tracy Arm in July; so we think we should get great views and go pretty far inside without too many setbacks.

Patty

I agree with Patty. We did the southbound Voyage of the Glaciers back in September 2008. Very disappointed with Tracy Arm. So far away, did not see much. But, when we arrived in Glacier Bay, we were fortunate to capture on video, glacier's calving, which was spectacular. We were on the Sapphire and had a balcony.

We are on the Emerald this May doing the Inside Passage to Glacier Bay and stopping at Sitka, Juneau and Ketchikan. We are in a mini-suite and can't wait. Chose this particular itinerary not only because of Glacier Bay, but because we want to visit Sitka.

Paul

Thanks for the feedback. we are doing Tracy Arm in July; so we think we should get great views and go pretty far inside without too many setbacks.

You really need the small boat ride to get the best views. Make sure you sign up for this.