Baked Alaska served anywhere other than MDR?

rgmacm

I just realized that since the Baked Alaska is served on the last night.....and we will be in College Fjord from 6-8:30 that night it will be challenging if not impossible to make it to the MDR for it. That's a little disappointing as we've always looked forward to this on Princess Cruises ..... but there's no way we'd miss the glaciers for it.....so...Will they serve it any other place on ship?

Or am I forced to book another cruise to get my Baked Alaska fix? :) :)

Never had it on Royal Princess in May.

To be honest it's one of our least favourite desserts, so we didn't miss it.

It's the sort of dessert that was served up in the 70's. Reminds us of that infamous dessert, Arctic Roll which was once a popular dessert from the freezer cabinet.

Princess do some lovely desserts but baked Alaska is not one of them IMHO.

Hope you get it on your ship though, as you appear to love it! ;) Each to his own, that's the beauty of cruising. Something for everyone.

They normally have the Baked Alaska parade on the last formal night. The Baked Alaska on parade are plastic with an LED candle on it. They'll bring you a real slice of the wonderful Baked Alaska to your table, I like it.

Princess does not serve real Baked Alaska anymore. The real Baked Alaska was paraded by the junior waiters as it cooked with flames. But real fires violate the safety rules now. They parade artificial ones with LED lights. What they bring to your table is three kinds of ice cream with a meringue in a nice neat slice. The real Baked Alaska was not in a neat slice. When the junior waiter brought it to the table, he cut off slabs - messy and delicious. The sanitized version they have now doesn't taste the same.

If you are in watching glaciers until 8:30 pm, you can still go to the MDR for the "Baked Alaska" if you want. Eat earlier and then go to the MDR after the glaciers for desert only.

Baked Alaska isn't nearly as good nor nearly as fun as it used to be.

This year on Ruby, it was listed on the dessert menu as "Baked Alaska on Parade" and I didn't realize it was the old Baked Alaska. The waiters don't carve it any more, they bring is from the kitchen like the rest of the desserts.

That being said, I believe that Baked Alaska will be served the night before the last night.

We were very surprised by what Caribbean Princess called Baked Alaska this past spring. Mostly just Neapolitan ice cream. Not even any chocolate as seen in the pic above.

Made my 1st baked Alaska as a child of about 11 or 12 and even if I say so myself, it was much better than that found on princess.

I did love the chocolate dream dessert served earlier on our cruise though.

On the Coral in May we had the traditional baked Alaska. It was the last night of the cruise. I took a video of the parade! I found it amusing! The Chocolate Journey desserts & cream brûlée are much better desserts than the baked Alaska.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On the Coral in May we had the traditional baked Alaska. It was the last night of the cruise. I took a video of the parade! I found it amusing! The Chocolate Journey desserts & cream brûlée are much better desserts than the baked Alaska.

No, you did not have the traditional Baked Alaska - you had the modern fake. See post number 8 for a picture of the real Baked Alaska.

I just realized that since the Baked Alaska is served on the last night.....and we will be in College Fjord from 6-8:30 that night it will be challenging if not impossible to make it to the MDR for it. That's a little disappointing as we've always looked forward to this on Princess Cruises ..... but there's no way we'd miss the glaciers for it.....so...Will they serve it any other place on ship?

Or am I forced to book another cruise to get my Baked Alaska fix? :) :)

We always got the Baked Alaska on most ships we were on. Usually nothing to write home about. Café Escadrille in Burlington, MA. Used to do it from scratch. That was a seriously good dessert. Having it torched in front of you was really cool, too. Obviously with the threat of pax catching fire is why it's not flambéed at your table on the ship.