What Cruise are not mass market

koss78b2

Unless you book a private yacht, they are actually all "mass market" ... some are better than others but still basically "mass market". ;)

LuLu

If one cannot recognize the essential difference between the above listed "boutique" lines and the "mass market" lines such as NCL, Disney, Royal Caribbean Corp, and Carnival (including their several "brands"), he is not qualified to comment. The characteristics which make "some ... better than others" is what differentiates premium lines from mass market lines.

A chartered yacht is not a cruise line, it is a chartered yacht --- and a badly maintained, poorly staffed chartered yacht will be a bad experience, while a top of the line chartered yacht is likely to be an extraordinarily fine experience; so bringing chartered yachts into a discussion of cruise lines is rather pointless.

Unless you book a private yacht, they are actually all "mass market" ... some are better than others but still basically "mass market". ;)

LuLu

Yeah, this.

The examples cited above each have one or more (not necessarily all) of: all suite-sized cabins, a more "high end" dining experience, much lower passenger-to-crew ratio, and near-all-inclusive beverages. If that is what the OP is looking for, question answered--but these lines are no less the product of marketing to and catering to their specific niche of passengers than the opening-price-point lines are.

To me "not mass market" means something truly unique, such as sailing yachts and river cruises. The OP could simply be seeking an absence of belly flop and hairy chest contests.

Edited by fishywood

They all mass market. Some are smaller and more refined ships offering lots of inclusives, others are much larger ships with higher passenger numbers. I guess you need to ask yourself what are you looking at when cruising.

Is it for the ship, itinerary, ports, fine dinning, shows etc.

OP, what sort of amenities are you looking for?

ALL cruise lines are "mass market" in that they advertise widely for customers. They may differ in what they emphasize...price, itineraries, accommodations, on-board activities...but they are ALL mass market.

Confusing post. What exactly are you looking for or trying to avoid?

It may be easier if we list the mass market lines? Disney, Princess, HAL, CCL, RC, NCL, Costa, MSC, Tompson, Celebrity are the ones that pop into my head.

I also may have listed Azamara, Silversea, Cunard, Crystal and Oceana but see others who posted earlier disagree.

Guess we need a definition of "mass market". I feel it's any cruise line with several ships that have similar amenities. Lines that would be quite different from my "mass market" would include Windstar, Star Clippers, Sea Dream and River cruising.

Confusing post. What exactly are you looking for or trying to avoid?

It may be easier if we list the mass market lines? Disney, Princess, HAL, CCL, RC, NCL, Costa, MSC, Tompson, Celebrity are the ones that pop into my head.

I also may have listed Azamara, Silversea, Cunard, Crystal and Oceana but see others who posted earlier disagree.

Guess we need a definition of "mass market". I feel it's any cruise line with several ships that have similar amenities. Lines that would be quite different from my "mass market" would include Windstar, Star Clippers, Sea Dream and River cruising.

Wouldn't you consider cruise lines whose fares include air to port of embarkation, or alcoholic drinks, to be sufficiently different from the others, to be outside of the "mass market"?

Crystal

Seabourn

Silversea

Oceania

Azamara

Cunard

SeaDream

Viking

Windstar

Hapag-Lloyd

Keith

I guess it's all subjective as to what one's definition of "mass market" is. Some of those on the list in the above post I would consider more "upscale" then others, but still (to me, anyway) mass market.

I agree, Marco. I would remove at least 3 or 4 on that list but that is only my opinion. Each of us evaluates by individual standards and tastes.

Wouldn't you consider cruise lines whose fares include air to port of embarkation, or alcoholic drinks, to be sufficiently different from the others, to be outside of the "mass market"?

No, because I can easily roll those things into my transaction with several of the consensus "mass market" lines and still not have the boutique cruise experience.

We seem to be narrowing things down: Azamera and, certainly, Cunard are closer to the mass market than, say, Windstar, Crystal or Seabourn --- but there is certainly insufficient similarities among those three (among others identified) and Carnival, NCL and Royal Caribbean for there to be any doubt about the fact that there is a real distinction between mass market lines and the significantly upscale lines.

The only real question is where the boundary lies: perhaps on which side of Azamera.

• 2 weeks later...
The fact that you may not have enjoyed the PG experience does not make a 2 ship Cruiseline a Mass Market company.

My enjoyment of the cruise has nothing to do with the fact that I feel the PG is just like an expensive mass market cruise ship.

Edited by 6rugrats

My enjoyment of the cruise has nothing to do with the fact that I feel the PG is an expensive mass market cruise ship.

Have you any notion of what the term "mass market" means?

A ship with fewer than 350 passengers, sailing exotic Pacific island itineraries, at a per person cost of $300 to $500 (and up) per day may or may not suit your selective tastes, but it sure as hell is not "mass market".

m/s Paul Gauguin

Suite

Marina

The m/s Paul Gauguin was designed specifically to sail the shallow seas of Tahiti, French Polynesia, and Southeast Asia visiting small ports that larger ships can't reach and effortlessly blending into the stunning natural beauty of the South Seas. She offers an extension of the informal, relaxing environment of the islands, coupled with five-star service, comfort, and luxury. Spacious suites and staterooms (more than 70% with private balconies), an onboard watersports marina, a choice of three open-seating dining venues, and an extensive spa are among her luxurious attributes. The atmosphere aboard the ship radiates warmth, informality, and Polynesian flair. And our beloved troupe of Gauguines—local Tahitians who serve as cruise staff, entertainers, and storytellers—add the unique personality of Tahiti to every cruise.

332 guests (passengers) not very Mass Market IMHO

m/v Tere Moana (88 guests)

Lounge

The Moana

In December 2012, a second luxury ship, The Moana, began sailing under the Paul Gauguin Cruises banner after undergoing a multifaceted renovation that month. The intimate Moana accommodates just 88 guests and reflects the high standard of quality and service already established for the cruise line by the m/s Paul Gauguin.

Like The Gauguin, The Moana specializes in warm-weather destinations, with an emphasis on delivering unique itineraries that larger ships cannot offer and exploring hidden ports throughout these regions. The Moana sails during the summer months in Europe and winter in the Caribbean and Latin America.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nana541