Trying to avoid....being seated at a table for two!

johnjen

It's been discussed countless times on here regarding dining, seating, etc....but please hear me out, seeking advice.

I've talked with RCL over the phone about our ordeal we went through on Anthem. We deliberately booked a smaller ship for our next cruise, to try and avoid DD and where we could be seated at a larger table so we can meet others at dinner.

Now we're booked on a smaller ship - but they landed us into "my time dining" which we didn't want - we asked for traditional early, so we could get a large table. With MTD, I'm thinking that, AGAIN, we will end up being seated ALONE at a table for two.

What, if any, would be the most effective way to get my message across to RCL that we sincerely request a larger table? Will write a letter. I just don't know specifically who, or what department to address.

Edited by johnjen

I usually email rcldining@rccl.com with table requests. I don't know if they will be able to help though, since you're in MTD instead of the traditional dining times.

I believe you can usually be placed on a wait list for the traditional dining times, but if that doesn't work out, you may need to wait until you board and arrange it then. Good luck!

Get yourself on the wait list for traditional. If that never clears, ask to be put into traditional as soon as you board. If that doesn't work, ask the head waiter to seat you with others during MTD. You can also try writing rcldining@rccl.com about 2 weeks out to request a certain table (explain what you want) if you do clear the traditional waitlist.

I doubt calling or writing any one else will do much.

Ask the host at the MTD podium to seat you with other guests but barring that, the tables for two are positioned so close to one another that in many instances you will find that the folks at the next tables are almost close enough to be considered to be at the same table.

Get yourself on the wait list for traditional. If that never clears, ask to be put into traditional as soon as you board. If that doesn't work, ask the head waiter to seat you with others during MTD. You can also try writing rcldining@rccl.com about 2 weeks out to request a certain table (explain what you want) if you do clear the traditional waitlist.

I had to go back to see when they were cruising and with it being January, this is probably the best suggestion. With that said, on our Last Oasis cruise we booked months ahead and did late seating traditional dining. We got put at a table for 2, but it was so close to another table for 2 with the same waiter, it felt like being at a table for 4. Had we been buy our selves, I might have asked the Head waiter to move us once on board.

Ditto this!!!

Ask the host at the MTD podium to seat you with other guests but barring that, the tables for two are positioned so close to one another that in many instances you will find that the folks at the next tables are almost close enough to be considered to be at the same table.

I totally agree we were on Anthem of the Seas with a table for two (2) and we ended up chatting with a couple from Germany and another couple from Spain. No problems.

It's been discussed countless times on here regarding dining, seating, etc....but please hear me out, seeking advice.

I've talked with RCL over the phone about our ordeal we went through on Anthem. We deliberately booked a smaller ship for our next cruise, to try and avoid DD and where we could be seated at a larger table so we can meet others at dinner.

Okay, now I'm curious - what ordeal on the Anthem? We're on her in 3 weeks and I want a table for 2...do not want to be close to others and plan to email our request this week.

So, what was so bad on the Anthem?!

We do MTD and they usually ask the first night if we would like to be at a large table which we decline so the option is there in MTD.

Others have mentioned the 2 tops are usually in groups so you are close enough to easily chat with others. But keep in mind if the patrons on the other tables requested a 2 top they may not want to socialize.

I would have your travel agent if you used one to update your reservation to be on the wait list for traditional dining either early or late seating. If anything opens up they will work with the waitlist and change your reservation once you name comes next in line. You may also be able to change it when you get on board. I would do the waitlist as soon as you can before final payment. Around that time people will cancel and their dining slot will come available. Hope you get to change your reservations.

They are always trying to put us at a big table, so I'm guessing this won't be a huge issue.

I go on vacation with my wife to be with my wife, so we always ask for a table for two. Seems like they are always in high demand.

I also second the comment that most times the 2-tops are so close it's like you're at a 4-top or a 6-top. Sometimes you want to slap Holly from Hoboken who thinks just because the tables are close that she can comment on your conversation, tell us about her cat with diarrhea, or declare what her vote is on what we are doing in port the next day.

We've got a very healthy friend pool back home, we don't need "cruise besties" Holly.

Edited by poncho1973

Whenever I board I always go to our table to see where it is. If its a table for 2 then we speak with the maitre d and ask to be moved.

If you dont have 6 pm or 8:30 pm dinning then go to maitre d and asked to be moved to one of those.

Never been declined, I am sure you will have the same luck.

Okay, now I'm curious - what ordeal on the Anthem? We're on her in 3 weeks and I want a table for 2...do not want to be close to others and plan to email our request this week.

So, what was so bad on the Anthem?!

Yeah, some will want the opposite of what we want and that's understandable. We experienced....being rushed through the meals. Noticed that, the larger tables were being taken care of much better by the wait staff.

Good luck though, and have a great cruise! Besides the dining, it was a good time. They just need to concentrate more on couples seated alone.

Thanks so much! Will keep this in mind. Now I feel there's no need to write. Peace of mind now; looking fwd to the cruise.

Hi,

It is my understanding that MTD is only available if you prepay your gratuities, would it be possible to remove them, they would then add them to your cruise account and according to their policy have to put you on normal dining.

Don't know if this can be done, just an idea.

Pete

Edited by Enforcer
spelling

Hi,

It is my understanding that MTD is only available if you prepay your gratuities, would it be possible to remove them, they would then add them to your cruise account and according to their policy have to put you on normal dining.

Don't know if this can be done, just an idea.

Pete

Pre-paid grats for MTD is no longer required

It seems that MTD is leaning less and less toward seating random couples together at a larger table. We are always open to either option and rarely get seated with a group. At least on the sailings I have been on recently, the larger tables get seated most often with larger set groups, not a bunch of couples or singles. On our last Liberty sailing there were multiple complaints about singles and couples asking for, and getting seated at a larger table and then having nobody join them. They tried but everyone who came up wanted to sit with their own group. Random group seating can happen, but from my experience its just not as much of a MTD norm anymore.

That being said, if group seating is important to you, I'd work to get into Traditional, or try to show up with my own group of MTD diners from those I met on board.

Now we're booked on a smaller ship - but they landed us into "my time dining" which we didn't want - we asked for traditional early, so we could get a large table. With MTD, I'm thinking that, AGAIN, we will end up being seated ALONE at a table for two.

What, if any, would be the most effective way to get my message across to RCL that we sincerely request a larger table? Will write a letter. I just don't know specifically who, or what department to address.

Don't sweat it. Go to the Maître D as soon as you get on the ship and he/she will try to accommodate you. Also, as other have suggested e-mail RCL dining as I've had very good success when asking for table for 2 by a window. By he way, we usually ask for a table for 2 and met very nice paxs seated on the left & right of us. We've been disappointed so many times with large tables that no one show up.

Ps. On our recent Anthem cruise we were done dining in less than an hour as the tables for 2 get ordered/served much quicker and this gives us more time to roam around.

You will want to be placed in TRADITIONAL seating, and tell them you want a LARGE table! They may tell you nothing is avail., but tell them to put you on the waitlist..and then check once you board the ship. They will, eventually, place you where you want to be....but they are horrible about doing it in advance.

I'm with you...I prefer tablemates, too!

You will want to be placed in TRADITIONAL seating, and tell them you want a LARGE table! They may tell you nothing is avail., but tell them to put you on the waitlist..and then check once you board the ship. They will, eventually, place you where you want to be....but they are horrible about doing it in advance.

I'm with you...I prefer tablemates, too!

Thanks so much - and, especially with our upcoming cruise in the Med, it would be nice to be dining with people from other countries.

We were a party of two with MTD that were forced to share a table unless we expressly requested a 2 top in the MDR. We despised sharing a table and once we realized we could, we asked for a table for 2, only.

I don't know exactly how to request a large table placement as part of your reservation as our TA always takes care of that for us. BUT I do know that Royal doesn't always pay attention to what you've requested!

So we've developed a boarding day routine - we always go to the MDR after lunch and find our table. A couple of times we've found ourselves assigned to a 2 top. We just go to the Maitre D and ask to be reassigned to a larger table with others. It's never been a problem to be reassigned.

We do late seating, though, and we've never been waitlisted or put into MTD, so since there seems to be more demand for early seating, it may work differently for you. Nevertheless, check your Day 1 Compass to see what time the Maitre D is available in the MDR that afternoon and go talk to him. I think you'll be able to work it out. Hope you have a great cruise!

Judy

Thanks so much - and, especially with our upcoming cruise in the Med, it would be nice to be dining with people from other countries.

FWIW, late seating is often better on a Med cruise due to the port stops and excursion lengths. You might want to consider that.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app