Unrest closes French side of St. Maarten 03-10-16

audome78

Onboard Freedom today. There is a strike going on over on the French side of the island and no travel is permitted into that side. All excursions that required driving to the French side ( like Orient Beach), have been cancelled.

All guests were strongly advised by the captain to avoid trying to get there on their own.

As a result, the beach on the Boardwalk in Phillipsburg is an absolute zoo.

Evidently, the protests started yesterday and the roads are actually blocked by the protesters to prevent travel.

Feel badly for all the passengers on the 4 ships in port right now - that will certainly make of mess of excursions (and for the tour operators).

Wonder what the strike is all about anyway....we're going to be there in about another month...and might start thinking about changing our plans to go tot he French side...

Onboard Freedom today. There is a strike going on over on the French side of the island and no travel is permitted into that side. All excursions that required driving to the French side ( like Orient Beach), have been cancelled.

All guests were strongly advised by the captain to avoid trying to get there on their own.

Evidently, the protests started yesterday and the roads are actually blocked by the protesters to prevent travel.

Sounds like the French. I have been caught in transportation strikes in France several times. The whole country grinds to a halt.

Hope it's over by early next month! We had no plans on going to the French side, but we thought about just hanging out at that beach at the boardwalk.

Thanks for the update.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Feel badly for all the passengers on the 4 ships in port right now - that will certainly make of mess of excursions (and for the tour operators).

Wonder what the strike is all about anyway....we're going to be there in about another month...and might start thinking about changing our plans to go tot he French side...

There is a little bit about this in the ports of call forum. we have been following the issue for months and seen this coming, but didn't know it would result in this. I'm off to check the Club orient webcam :)

There is a little bit about this in the ports of call forum. we have been following the issue for months and seen this coming, but didn't know it would result in this. I'm off to check the Club orient webcam :)

Yeah...have been checking a webcam as well...

031016_St_Maarten_Webcam.jpg

Yikes. My parents just got back from a land-based trip at a resort on Orient Beach (NOT the nudist resort! :eek:). They go every year and haven't had a problem, but we have been caught in similar strikes in France. Hope things are resolved quickly for everyone.

Reading local news and it began yesterday with 4 restaurants owners protesting the high rents charged and some other issues not specified. Locals supporting the restaurants are involved in blocking the roads.

Reading local news and it began yesterday with 4 restaurants owners protesting the high rents charged and some other issues not specified. Locals supporting the restaurants are involved in blocking the roads.

How ironic. It is people supporting the restaurants that are preventing the restaurants from making money on the tourists. That support I wouldn't need.

According to the captain, there was a new tax imposed and the merchants (not just restaurants) are refusing to pay it and went on strike. Captain said that the road between the Dutch and French sides is being slowed to a crawl, and that even if you managed to get over there, there was no guarantee that anyone would bring you back.

Considering a major portion of island revenue comes from tourism...you'd think that the approach to restrict access or using their services would be a pretty foolish idea.

While it's an inconvenience or disappointment for tourists, they'll just spend their money elsewhere - and then the striking merchants (and/or transportation to and from them) are the only ones who lose out.

It's ironic that I was just going to ask for suggestions on excursions to the French side as we will overnite in St. Marten next Feb. We have never been to the French side so I am open to suggestions for tours there.

My that would make the Dutch side a mad house.

Sounds like the way it was for us in October last year.....problem was, we didn't find out about any issues until we were already at Orient and ready to leave. This was around 2:30 in the afternoon after spending a lovely day there. We encountered many road blocks in a taxi, trying to get back to the ship. We finally had to get out of taxi, walk, following our taxi driver around the road block, and walk down the road. Finally, another taxi came from opposite direction, picked us up and brought us back to port. The usual 20 minute taxi ride ended up being very nerve wracking hour and a half in two taxis and walking through the protesters around the road block.

Those who tried getting to French side after 8:30 AM were told no taxis would take them, and all tours were cancelled. We had left slightly before the "big announcement".

I went back to Orient Beach in January......no problem.