Eclipse Elite breakfast

harz99

Regrettably Eclipse has now gone over to the platter style of Elite breakfast, no more buffet, just the pre plated offerings, which this morning there was some confusion over varying content and obviously some waste. Difficult to share a platter as separate plates not provided unless you ask for them, and even so the tables soon fill up with plates/platters etc. etc. Not a good move IMHO.

On Century, we only used them three times because of such terrible service. We got our food before we got any drinks. We even had the Captain's Club rep visiting our table and she didn't notice we hadn't received our Cappuccinos. In fact others ordering after us received their specialty coffees before us. After we complained, they were a little faster the third time.

It could be a plot to discourage passengers from attending the morning breakfast so they can then justify eliminating it due to lack of interest or participation.

X is introducing the suite and Zenith perks so I am sure that is the carrot that they are more interesed in promoting and will do so by making it more appealing.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

That's not good. We were on the Eclipse in August & the Elite breakfast was so very nice. We had wonderful views in the Tuscan Grill and a lovely buffet selection of cheese & fruit. The service was perfect and Bruce was a fabulous host. It was my favorite meal each day on the cruise!

We have yet to experience this but I don't think we will like it either.

You really don't know until you've experienced it. As I recall, there are no sneeze guards at the elite buffet breakfast and it has the usual tongs in the food issues...so maybe the trays are actually being introduced (or tried) to try to protect your health. The aqua spa cafe used to pre-plate their offerings and no one complained.

It seems that a fair amount of the comments on the trays vs the buffet style for the elite breakfast are just about not liking change.

Near as I can tell, this isn't a "take away" it's just a change.

The buffet is great. The service always has varied. I always thought since Tuscan wait staff usually services us, they really do not like to do it and they never have really done a fabulous job. About half the time you get some assistant waiters that are really good and they run around doing most of the work. Enjoy the view and do not expect to be served fast and enjoy the speciality drink of choice. I am psyching myself up for 30 days of buffets on the Silhoutte in about three weeks. It is better than I get at home.

We truly enjoyed the new Elite Breakfast when on Summit last month. I could have gone every day, but DH often likes more variety. I went several times with other family members who were traveling with us. It was very relaxed, with great views and great service.

And I LOVED the platters. Plenty of choices and everything fresh and yummy. If you like salmon you'll be in heaven.

I believe the change was made to accommodate the health inspectors. We were on the Eclipse one time when there was to be a health inspection, and, even though it was buffet, you had to have a waiter put the portions on your plate. When we discussed it with the waiter at our table, he had said that the buffet set up there was a perpetual problem for health inspection and he thought changes were about to come.

I think the pre-plate portions is that change.

Regrettably Eclipse has now gone over to the platter style of Elite breakfast, no more buffet, just the pre plated offerings, which this morning there was some confusion over varying content and obviously some waste. Difficult to share a platter as separate plates not provided unless you ask for them, and even so the tables soon fill up with plates/platters etc. etc. Not a good move IMHO.

Is the breakfast still held in the Tuscan Grille? I'm not sure what you mean by platter style. Do you order from a menu? We really liked the buffet when we were on Silhouette last year. It was so peaceful and quiet. We were looking forward to going there on Eclipse in February. I guess we'll go to Blu if we don't like what they're doing now.

Carol

Is the breakfast still held in the Tuscan Grille? I'm not sure what you mean by platter style. Do you order from a menu? We really liked the buffet when we were on Silhouette last year. It was so peaceful and quiet. We were looking forward to going there on Eclipse in February. I guess we'll go to Blu if we don't like what they're doing now.

Carol

Blu has a full menu for breakfast, the elite continental breakfast is just that, a continental breakfast. No menu's, no hot food. The discussion here is having a buffet set up where you serve yourself...vs the new approach which is to have individual serving stacked trays for each person, in other words, you get pre-made selections. No menu's in either case...it's just the difference in you taking what you want vs celebrity deciding how much to put on each plate/tray.

Blu serves regular coffee....expresso and other coffees are available but you pay for them unless you are elite plus or zenith. You can get good coffee and some alcoholic drinks free at the elite breakfast.

How are the platters made up- fruit, salmon?

Just wondered, as I am dairy intolerant, so find the buffet type favourable, as I only pick what I can eat, to save on waste.

I agree with you. There must be a lot of waste with this new way of serving.

You had hot food at the Elite breakfast? Now that would be a welcome change. We always go to 2 breakfast venues to get the hot food first and then the Cappuccinos at the Elite one.

That was a real surprise. Expected less after reading the forums. Hope it is a new trend.:)

Not going again until December so I hope the breakfast does not slide the other direction.

Edited by ozark74

It could be a plot to discourage passengers from attending the morning breakfast so they can then justify eliminating it due to lack of interest or participation.

X is introducing the suite and Zenith perks so I am sure that is the carrot that they are more interesed in promoting and will do so by making it more appealing.

Happy cruising

Our understanding is that this is primarily for health reasons (not sure we agree). The Elite breakfast buffets have traditionally been a group of platters and serving bowls arrayed on a table. They did not have the usual "sneeze guards" or other health-related protections such as cooling or heating tables. Rather then upgrade their portable buffet equipment it seems like the "brains" at Celebrity decided to use pre-portioned platters.

Hank

On Summit we were given a menu listing the available choices. The platters were then served by a waiter/waitress who also served beverages. The choices were limited to the usual continental type of breakfast - fruit, pastries, breads and rolls, cold meats and cheeses, etc.

Our understanding is that this is primarily for health reasons (not sure we agree). The Elite breakfast buffets have traditionally been a group of platters and serving bowls arrayed on a table. They did not have the usual "sneeze guards" or other health-related protections such as cooling or heating tables. Rather then upgrade their portable buffet equipment it seems like the "brains" at Celebrity decided to use pre-portioned platters.

Hank

I think the reason for the Grand Brunch to be discontinued in the MDR and the Elite "buffet" to be modified is that they were both set up over carpeting which is hard to keep clean and sanitary.

Blu serves regular coffee....expresso and other coffees are available but you pay for them unless you are elite plus or zenith. You can get good coffee and some alcoholic drinks free at the elite breakfast.

We got in the habit of going to Blu for breakfast then heading to the Elite breakfast for a mimosa, bloody Mary or specialty coffee. Pretty indulgent but for some reason, it just seemed like the right thing to do.....

Carol

Yes, still Tuscan. Menu of pre plated offerings say Smoked Salmon with cream cheese bagels and garnish.

Day 2 and it is now accepted that the menu offerings can be varied and specific items added/taken off as you wish. Possible to get plate of bread and side plates to use if you ask for them. We were able to more or less ask for what we would have had from the buffet. Still some waste. Breakfast now takes longer than with the buffet.