Do you have strange cruise panic dreams pre-cruise?

jules815

I had a horrible night's sleep last night. I woke up several times throughout the night, and had weird and stressful dreams about my upcoming cruise. In one dream, I was out on our balcony, and instead of seeing the ocean, the ship was moving through what looked like a midwestern farm scene. Sunny day with rows of crops. We passed a farm and people were waving from an above-ground pool, and barking dogs were running along side the ship.

The one that really freaked me out was, I was at my inlaw's assisted living apartment, looked at the time and realized that I had missed the ship, but my daughter and her friend were on it. I was in a panic trying to figure out how I could fly from Chicago to the next port to meet up with them. "The first day's a sea day, and I'll never be able to fly into Labadee!" "If I meet the ship in Ocho Rios, the cruise will almost be over...it's only a 5 day!!" :eek:

Lol! I had the same weird dreams before the birth of my 1st child...in my dreams I kept forgetting the baby! I'd leave him in the shopping cart, or on top of the car...... I'd wake up in a panic!

Your mind does some strange stuff, doesn't it!

Yes a few days before our last cruise I kept dreaming that we left too late and it was like 4:30pm and we weren't at the port yet! I also had one where the captain was purposely steering the boat into another boat's wake and we were jumping waves and the ship was crashing down. lol So weird!!!!

The first time I booked a guarantee room I dreamed that they took all the numbers off of the doors and I had to use my key in every door on the ship until I found the right room:eek:!

Next cruise, I dreamed that my passport had expired, and they made me swim along behind the ship for the whole cruise.

Beth

Just once. When we had a sky suite booked on the Mercury I had a dream before the cruise I had to go out my balcony turn right and walk across some kind of roof over the pool to get to the stairs to go down. Since I am afraid of heights this was a nightmare.

The first time I booked a guarantee room I dreamed that they took all the numbers off of the doors and I had to use my key in every door on the ship until I found the right room:eek:!

Next cruise, I dreamed that my passport had expired, and they made me swim along behind the ship for the whole cruise.

Beth

Seriously busted out laughing. Thanks for getting my day rolling on a good time.

Glad I'm not the only one, lol! :p I have dreamt that I forgot all our formal wear and that I only packed one pair of shorts, dreamt that I forgot all my makeup (I would have jumped overboard at that point), dreamt that at one port I got back on the wrong ship and sailed off on it, and lots more weird dreams. They serve to make me sufficiently paranoid, that I haven't forgotten anything yet! :D

Yes...I think it's because there is so much going on in my mind and I'm not getting much sleep. So when/if I do dream, it's silly, crazy stuff.

Last one was as the ship was leaving I realized I had not packed any shoes. I looked down and I had even boarded the ship barefoot. I was frantic!!! :eek:

The day before I'd been trying to decide which shoes to pack and which to leave...sure glad that dream didn't come true.

Beth

LOLOL. I love that last one, even if the first one is a great dream too.

Love all your stories, you make me smile like an idiot. Too bad I don't have a funny nightmare to share....

Cindy

Iv had some crazy dreams before.. Forgetting luggage or having to pack as the cruise was leaving and missing the ship. Mostly all my "panic" dreams involve luggage lol. Iv also had crazy dreams where on the last day of the cruise I wake up to find out I missed the whole cruise and have no memories of the cruise. Yes I know this sounds crazy! I'm so happy someone posted this thread as it has eased my nerves a little bit. We leave Saturday on the Vision so for me this week will be filled with crazy dreams and even crazier scenarios that will play in my head all week. Missing flight because of weather..lost luggage at the airport.. Fog delay in Tampa... I can keep going lol! I'm glad to see other people get as antsy as me before a cruise! Lol

Yeah last night dreamed my brother in law and me were at the front of the ship on the helipad enjoying cigars when all of a sudden the ship ran aground in some sand. The ship all of a sudden reversed and swung around throwing us all over the deck.

I had a dream that on a cruise it was announced that formal night would be clothing optional and I decided to take the option....then it just skipped to the MDR, don't know how I got there, but when I was there I was the only one butt naked and everyone else had on tux and ball gowns. Then out jumped Ashton Kutcher and said...."You've Been Punk'd"! It was repeated on the room tv's the rest of the week :eek:

Edited by bigque

I have them all of the time. Mine are usually (a) no passports; (b) no luggage; © we have not checked in and don't have our Sea Pass; (d) I miss the ship or, my all time favorite (e) I go out to the Flowrider only to find that it is now a water slide or broken or we don't have any boards. :eek:

Not for a cruise but when my son was little we planned to take him to the Mickey Halloween thing at Disney. My wife dreamed she lost the tickets and they wouldn't let us in. Little boy crying and panic ensued. She woke up basically in tears. :eek:

Needless to say the location of those tickets was checked about 6,543 times between home and Orlando. We made it into the event just fine :D

I don't anxiety dream about an upcoming vacation....usually just convince myself i've contracted a fatal illness....however ships are part of my regular dreams....up and down the never ending halls....going into cabins that are not mine...endlessly searching for something.....splashing into the sea which always wakes me up! .....

Mine are a little more morbid - my kids fall overboard on the balcony! :eek: I wake up and know it didn't happen, but what a horrible feeling.

But yes, I also have the dreams about forgetting things - or missing the ship. I'm in countdown mode now, we fly to Florida tomorrow for a Sunday cruise!!!

Just the typical missing the ship, both at the port of embarkation and at ports we visit. All pretty random.

Last week I dreamed that DH and I had arrived at the cruise port and were out jogging (hilarious since I do not jog) and ran into some people in a 55+ community. They invited us into their home to see it and after a bit of talking and seeing their place I suddenly looked at my watch and said "It's 5 o'clock, we missed the ship" and DH just looked at me like he couldn't believe it so I repeated it like 5 times. It was weird. Between the Brilliance cruise being cancelled and my turning 55 this last week, I guess it all was in my head.

Edited by BND

My cruise dreams usually involve being "lost" on the ship in some way - trying to find the right place for some event or even dinner, and knowing what deck I need to be on, but invariably going the wrong way, running into blind corners, going up the stairs when I should go down and vice versa. Sometimes I dream our cabin seems to be in a place where other passengers must pass through to get to their own cabins. Weird stuff!

Once dreamed we almost missed the ship - were only able to board because the crew lowered a ramp from the very back for us to run onto.

Other times, it's last minute packing, or running out of time and leaving without luggage. I think I need to get better organized! :eek:

I have terrible dreams every time I travel no matter how far or for how long, which is annoying as I have periods where I sometimes travel a lot (this year I have travels to Gothenburg, London, Mallorca, Berlin and a festival all before June, and then the cruise in August). You’d think I’d get used to it, but so far it hasn’t happened.

I have noticed however, that I have worse dreams when I have to leave in the morning as my worst fear is oversleeping. I can’t count the number of times when I’ve missed the bus/overslept/gotten stuck at work/realized that I was supposed to leave yesterday (!) and so on.

The worst one was probably when I dreamt I was leaving for Sweden Rock Festival, and my mother was dropping me off at the bus. She then asked me if I had gotten life insurance. When I asked why, she just casually said. “So we can afford the funeral.” and then I realized I was dying. That was really scary. :eek:

One of the funnier ones (cruise-related) was the time where my bathroom had a window out against the Royal Promenade, and the curtains wouldn’t close and I really needed to use the toilet. Annoying in the dream, really funny when I woke up. :D

My dream before a cruise was when I was checking in, the lady behind the counter said that the picture on my passport was not me. When I looked at it, it was a mans picture.....I just broke out in tears and they arrested me. Needless to say, when I woke up the first thing I looked at was my passport :). The mind really does play tricks on you.

~Debbie

Strange, but I had a dream similar to the one explained by the OP.

We were preparing for a cruise to Bermuda and I dreamed they were moving our ship (Empress of the Seas) from Hamilton to St. George OVER LAND. lol :D

People were also waving as we passed by.

Empress is pretty small but much too big to navigate those narrow roads!

I still miss that ship as part of the RCI fleet.