Please help with marital dispute about internet!

postmanrings

Doing the 9 night cruise to NE and bought the internet package for one of our cell phones. My wife likes to check in with our adult daughters once a day if possible and be able to text me if I'm on the other side of the ship when she is wondering where I wondered off to!

My thought is we have 5 ports out of the 9 nights to contact them and getting the internet for just one cell won't do her any good to contact me. I'm thinking just wait each day to get to port and text, chat, email kids and save the $60. I have read also that the signal pick up isn't that swift anyway on ship.

Anyone have first hand knowledge about this?

Thanks

Either go all in or just skip it:

If you are going to buy an unlimited package then get it for two devices so you can text each other. (Though doesn't RCI offer an inexpensive app for onboard messaging offline?)

But with several domestic ports if you can agree that on sea days the phone is for emergencies only--like they all used to be before the advent of social mierda-- then checking in when ashore should be more than adequate. Thus the cost of the package you bought is a waste and should be cancelled.

Edited by fishywood

Let me see if I understand this correctly.

You're going to spend $2000 to $3000 on a cruise, and you want us to help you not piss off your wife over $60?

Doesn't be so freakin cheap. Spend the money and make your wife happy.

I think it advisable to avoid getting involved in a dispute between husband and wife concerning something so trivial. But the following thoughts might be considered:

Even though $60 is minuscule compared with cruise fare, the fact is that (unless someone is very wealthy) every dollar spent on some thing is not available for another thing. Buying that extra time is deciding against a date night some month when things are sad - is that a good allocation of limited resources?

Free internet is available at every port.

Do adult daughters need (or even want) daily input from Mom?

Would each party be constantly checking device to see if spouse might be trying to contact --- especially when it can often take many minutes to get any sort of connection?

Doing the 9 night cruise to NE and bought the internet package for one of our cell phones. My wife likes to check in with our adult daughters once a day if possible and be able to text me if I'm on the other side of the ship when she is wondering where I wondered off to!

My thought is we have 5 ports out of the 9 nights to contact them and getting the internet for just one cell won't do her any good to contact me. I'm thinking just wait each day to get to port and text, chat, email kids and save the $60. I have read also that the signal pick up isn't that swift anyway on ship.

Thanks

You don't say which cfuuise line, which ship OR what ports. Necessary info.

Frfee Wi fi in the terminal in uebec City, rfee Wi fi, in Charlotetown, PEI. low cost wif fi in Sydney y terminal. Ffee Wifi ina number of places in Bar Harbor........ You need to provide more info in order to get more info....

Well, I guess I should have not posted this as it looks like I lost!:rolleyes: Anyway, this was just a little joke between my wife and I not anything serious of course and she got a good laugh from the answers! I need to check to see if they have some kind of on board internet café or something if anything. I made a mistake, the cost is $80 for one, so as suggested if we get it for each of us it will be $160. Ok, yes I'm cheap, but wouldn't think twice about spending that on a good meal! My daughters don't mind talking at all each night with their mother. They are used to that and I'm glad everyone likes to stay in the loop! Thanks all.

What possible difference could the line make?

Would you have one answer for NCL, another for HAL, and a third for Princess?

After having dsailed Canada NE at least 20+ times, I don't know if theships all docck (different days) in same pladce, Could impact my answer to p;rincess, NCL etc as I do not know where they dock b tt know VERY well most ddedtails of the HAL itinerary.

After having sailed Canada NE at least 20+ times, I don't know if theships all dock (different days) in same pladce, Could impact my answer to p;rincess, NCL etc as I do not know where they dock but know VERY well most details of the HAL itinerary.

I got the internet onboard (RCI Voom Surf & Stream $8.99 per day on sale) and the cruise package from AT&T ($60.00 for 50 minutes of talk and 100 texts)....I don't want to worry about this at all...Well worth it to me. ;)

Thanks

You are right although even though you may be right, you will lose the battle. Your daughters are adults. Being out of contact from them for 9 days will not kill anyone and as you say, you may be able to contact them when you are on land. I have not been able to figure out why people have to be in constant contact with each other.

DON

I'd agree with the OP - plenty of time in port when you can get free WiFi and catch up with the folk at home. Wouldn't be wasting the cash.

Don't think that having wifi for both phones would let you text each other (or even just you to get her texts) - you'd need to use a messaging app rather than just texting. Seems a lot of expense for something the poster doesn't really see any value in

Sent from my SM-G925F using Forums mobile app

Let me see if I understand this correctly.

You're going to spend $2000 to $3000 on a cruise, and you want us to help you not piss off your wife over $60?

Doesn't be so freakin cheap. Spend the money and make your wife happy.

hahaha_zpsbhisofo1.jpg

My thoughts exactly. Two words to live by - "Yes Dear".

Yes. Some lines have less costly packages that just cover email/social media usage (which could suffice for daughter contact) and some lines have free texting onboard apps that would cover keeping in touch with hubby. Also, OP mentioned 'per device' and while on his line that may be true, on others, it is 'per user' and may be used on any number of devices, but only one at a time.