How do u keep an e-reader handy on the ship

FLUFFLULA

I like taking my e-reader on the cruise instead of bringing heavy books or several paperbacks. I'm trying to devise a way to keep my e-reader handy on the ship and prevent me from leaving it somewhere unintentionally. The only thing I've come up with is to carry it in the "dreaded purse" that marks me as a "newbie cruiser" even tho I've been a number of cruises and never carried a purse otherwise.

Any other ideas for keeping up with an e-reader? Many thanks for any suggestions.

I like taking my e-reader on the cruise instead of bringing heavy books or several paperbacks. I'm trying to devise a way to keep my e-reader handy on the ship and prevent me from leaving it somewhere unintentionally. The only thing I've come up with is to carry it in the "dreaded purse" that marks me as a "newbie cruiser" even tho I've been a number of cruises and never carried a purse otherwise.

Any other ideas for keeping up with an e-reader? Many thanks for any suggestions.

Not a purse but a canvas tote bag like used for groceries. Holds reader, sunglasses, sunscreen, bottle of water, and anything else you might need.

What did you use to carry your book in?

Not a purse but a canvas tote bag like used for groceries. Holds reader, sunglasses, sunscreen, bottle of water, and anything else you might need.

What did you use to carry your book in?

Totally agree- perfect answer. We keep one in each of our bags (2 carry ons, 2 checked bags) for exactly things like this. Plus HAL gives us at least one (sometimes 2) every time we cruise with them, so they get used regularly.

I carry an "everything" bag. It's a small Swiss Gear bag about 1/3 the size of a backpack. Smallish pocket in front good for carrying $$ and cards. The main part of the bag is large enough to hold a mini ipad, bottle of booze - actually it holds a lot.

Sometimes it hangs from my shoulder but if I'm around people it slides easily under my arm.

Just a thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by traveler279

I pretty much always have one or two cameras with me plus assorted lenses etc. Onboard I carry a smallish camera bag which has an open outside slot that nicely fits my iPad. Totally unisex, you could use one and nobody would know that your camera bag was really your purse...

People care whether others might think of them as a "newbie cruiser"??? Learn something new here every day.

No, People don't care.

Even if they do care, that marks them as having the problem, not the new cruiser.

I take small beach bag... toss glasses, reading material, phone, camera, kindle, sunscreen, etc. Doubles as a "purse" on excursions and ports of call. Husband uses a sports/string bag for his stuff. And I don't care what others think:o

I have a few small cross body bags that just fit my Paperwhite. Actually brought the reader into Marshall's when I was looking for the bag as I wanted a bag just big enough. Don't carry much extras with me.

I have a Kylie LeSportSac (or similar) and a small Baggalini that can be worn north/south or east/west.

Edited by SadieN

I've just been carrying mine by hand, tucked under my arm when I need both hands free. But that's awkward, and I think I'm just going to use a carry-all bag next time. Or my cross-body purse. I don't care about looking like a newbie. I don't think anyone notices anyway, except other newbies!

Now, if I were to carry a purse like my mother's....huge and weighing about 20 lbs....then people might talk!

I don't understand why carrying a bag would make you seem like a newbie. I think most women carry some sort of a bag around with them to carry around the things you might need during the day - sunglasses, sunscreen, something to read. It saves you from having to go back to your cabin every time you want something. Who cares what anyone else thinks, anyway? I don't.

Have 2.. an actual Kindle and an iPad with the Kindle app downloaded. Both have covers. both also have room inside to stash my room key. But I still use a bag to carry my glasses case as my sunglasses are also Rx. it's also large enough to stash my iPhone( camera)

it is NOT a purse, it is a nice lightweight cloth bag that I picked up in Thailand with a large start that allows me to position it over the shoulder for virtual hands free use.

I use a small tote for the pool...stick it in a bag! That doesn't "mark you as a newbie"...it simply means you have a plan for keeping track of your belongings! At hotels, what do you carry your stuff in? Why is it different on a ship?

Now...a lanyard marks you as a conventioneer, IMO!

Edited by cb at sea

Umm I'm not a newbie cruiser and I usually carry a crossbody bag. I don't like stuff in my pockets and don't like to carry totes most of the time on the ship. I prefer my hands free so I use a vera cross body bag, keeps my hands free for the buffet :D

I've carried standard purses too, all different types, have no idea why anyone would think someone with a purse vs a tote would be a newbie cruiser.

tPut it one of thE HaL TOTe bags thegive us.

Problem with putting it into one of those free totes is that everyone has one (hard to find if you leave it somewhere. Another issue is its open. Prefer something with a zipper.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sounds like I shouldn't worry about carrying the crossbody bag, but I also like suggestion of the tote with long enough handles to go over my shoulder. I agree that it needs to zip and it should be easy to determine which tote is mine!

Thanks for your comments and suggestions!

What you need to do is to make yourself a bookmark, as seen on peoples' posts on this board, with a list of all your previous cruises. Print it on A3 card, preferably with copy receipts. Make sure that whenever you have your ereader with you, this card is displayed in a prominent place.

Alternatively, try the approach of not caring what people think when you've never met them before and will never meet them again.

:rolleyes:

Purse doesn't spell newbie to me.

What you need to do is to make yourself a bookmark, as seen on peoples' posts on this board, with a list of all your previous cruises. Print it on A3 card, preferably with copy receipts. Make sure that whenever you have your ereader with you, this card is displayed in a prominent place.

Alternatively, try the approach of not caring what people think when you've never met them before and will never meet them again.

Excellent suggestion.

Put a your name somewhere on your e-reader. If you forget it somewhere onboard, hopefully an honest person will send it to Lost & Found.

Excellent suggestion.

Put a your name somewhere on your e-reader. If you forget it somewhere onboard, hopefully an honest person will send it to Lost & Found.

Even better, the bit about not worrying what others think.

Amazes me how many people here worry about what others think about them

Seriously are people that insecure?

I don't understand why carrying a bag would make you seem like a newbie. I think most women carry some sort of a bag around with them to carry around the things you might need during the day - sunglasses, sunscreen, something to read. It saves you from having to go back to your cabin every time you want something. Who cares what anyone else thinks, anyway? I don't.

Nor do I.

I always carry a purse or some sort of bag, which is big enough to hold my Kindle, tissues, lip balm, make-up in the evenings, comb, glasses cleaner, cruise card, phone which is also my backup camera, foam hand sanitiser because I can't stand the Purell, and anything else that I might need depending on what I'm doing.

DH also carries a shoulder bag with his Kindle in it, plus other stuff.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

On Amazon, there are a number of tablet "tote" sleeves with shoulder straps. I carry a Kindle and Ipad in one along with a deck of cards and the daily newsletter. EVECASE is the brand I have.

DW carries her tablet in one of the $10 small totes from the on board $10 sale stuff.

Nothing to do with being a newbie, we look like seasoned cruisers. Easy to handle food dishes in the Lido or carry our drinks around.

Edited by cruzincurt