Feeling like I'm still on the ship

slwillwin

Got off an 8 day cruise on Sunday and it took me about three days to stop feeling like I was moving. This was my fifth cruise and I never experienced this before, so I was wondering does this happen to others?

Mal de Barquement Syndrome. It can last for some people for weeks! :eek:

Can happen to anyone but most common in women 45 or older studies have found.

Thankfully, Ive never suffered from it.

Edited by ryano

http://www.mddsfoundation.org/diagnosis-and-treatment/

While there is no known cure for MdDS, some success in managing symptoms has been realized with medications and vestibular rehabilitation.

Most anticholinergeric medications that work for other forms of dizziness and motion sickness, such as meclizine or scopolamine, are not effective in either treatment or prevention of MdDS.

There is evidence that klonopin, benzodiazepines and amitriptyline may have beneficial effects in the treatment of MdDS.

Many patients have reported a benefit from vestibular therapy and exercise.

Like others, it has happened to me after some cruises, but not after others. In recent years, it doesn't seem to occur as frequently as it once did, or last quite as long (I once had it for over 2 weeks!:eek:). And it has happened to me after being on smaller pleasure craft, and sometimes not. When I have it, it is most noticeable to me when looking down, such as when standing at a sink, washing my hands.

Sometimes, it has even happened after spending a day at the beach, if I have been in the ocean for a few hours, with no boat involved.:eek::p This particular version has occurred throughout my whole life, as far as I can remember (I'm a 41-yr-old woman). This version is only noticeable when I lie down, such as when I go to bed the night after the day at the beach - I feel like I'm still bobbing up and down in the waves.:o

Got off an 8 day cruise on Sunday and it took me about three days to stop feeling like I was moving. This was my fifth cruise and I never experienced this before, so I was wondering does this happen to others?

Best feeling around!! ❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I cruised in April out of San Juan...10 day southern repo cruise...I usually have sea legs for a few days, even up to a week after I get off the ship but for some reason this past cruise I had it for almost 6 weeks!!!! I know...it was horrible...they call severe cases "mal de Debarquement".....I was actually getting quite worried...but it did finally leave...Thank GOD!

For some it becaomes permanent. I haven't had it in a while.

Oh dang, is this true? We just got off the ship last Friday, and my husband is still complaining about it. He'd be seriously freaked out if he heard it could be permanent!

It did happen to me. I took Meclizine after.

I've had this happen after both our long cruises (7 & 8 day), and it lasted at least a week or more each time. Unlike others I HATED it - especially at work - because it just reminded me I wasn't out to sea anymore. ;)

I never knew it had a name, and didn't know meds might help. The only advice I got before was to get back on a ship! Keeping that in mind for next time.

We used to get it after every cruise. But lately I haven't. Got to thinking and it could be strictly coincidence, but I haven't had that feeling since staying on deck 1 or 2. Only when we were higher up and had balconies anywhere from decks 7-9. All 4 of us would have it for days. Nothing with the lower ones. Again, one might not have anything to do with the other but that's been my experience.

Edited by firemanbobswife

I've had it after every cruise, usually lasts 7-10 days and much more noticeable when I lie down, enough to make me sick a couple of times, but oddly enough I've only gotten sick to my stomach on a cruise once or twice during a bad storm. Oct will be the first cruise I am driving to and from port, usually DH drives but he's not going on this one, so I will see how that goes. If it's too bad I will have oldest DS with me (23) so he can drive back.

At least in my experience, this condition is completely unrelated to seasickness. I have never been even slightly seasick in my life - not even on small craft in rough waters. But I've had this "sea legs" condition post-cruise many times.

I've noticed in the past if I'm' moving like in a car I don't notice it. So hoping that holds true when I'm driving. It's when I totally stop and especially when I lie down that it slams me.

I don't seem get seasick very easy but easily get carsick.