Be generous with time, if leaving Venice

Budget Queen

I just got home from Venice yesterday. There were numerous panicked people waiting to get off a Venice cruise ship I was on, that never were going to make their flights.

I would suggest allowing at least 3 hours- AT the airport due to extensive time involved in security and passport control lines. At least 25 people missed the flight I was on (factual information due to load number access)

I would not book any flights before noon. There were 10:30a flights that were booked that no way were made. ( I was first through the check out, no snags in my transfer, baggage drop off, and wasn't at the gate until 10:30a)

Just a suggestion. (2 days at the airport)

Marco Polo (Venice) has earned its reputation for slow processing. I once arrived two and a half hours prior to a 7:30 AM domestic flight and just barely made it, in the winter when the traffic through the airport wasn't nearly at the summer levels.

Marco Polo is one of my least favorite European airports. Our tale of woe was having a 9am flight...and deciding we would get out to the airport by 6. We got there at 6, but the airline (it was USAIR) did not even have any staff at their counter. Two staff finally opened their check-in counter about 7:30 by which time there were more then 150 folks in line. Our flight left nearly an hour late...because they could not process all the passengers fast enough to keep to the schedule. At least the airline deserved credit for delaying the flight. Another time we arrived at Marco Polo and noticed a long line at the small ticket kiosk located near the airport exit doors. This is the counter where folks, who have pre-booked certain tickets (such as vaporetto passes, and Venice Cards) can pick up their tickets. But the counter was closed (the rumor was that the staff decided to go on strike). The poor folks who had paid in advance for various tickets were out of luck (not sure if anyone ever got their money back...or even figured out where to get their money back). On another flight we landed without a problem..but then they closed the airport to all flights. The problem....the luggage handlers decided to go on a wildcat strike. Subsequent flights had to diverted to other airports Many flights (full of cruise ship passengers) were diverted to Malpensa (Milan) and later had to be bused to Venice! DW and I love Italy....but we now avoid Marco Polo like the plague.

Hank

We have travelled extensively through all continents except Antarctica, and we really love Italy and speak some Italian. In our experience, Venice was the worst airport we have ever had to use.Followed closely by Naples and Catania.

A lot of times is needed. And a lot of patience, especially with queue jumpers. My husband tells them off and the locals thank us. But then I hope I don't have to sit too close to them on the flight!

You never know what will happen, even getting to the airport. When leaving Naples, son-in-law was caught up a half hour when the lift at the hotel malfunctioned and he was stuck in it! Our last flight, a simple local one, was nearly missed due to the appalling traffic jam in Sydney which saw a twenty/thirty minute drive extend to an hour and a half.

Thinking about it makes me long for the efficiency of the public transport and airport in Hong Kong, but even there you have to allow for the time to get around the very large airport.

I have a 12:00 flight (Marco Polo) what time should I get to the airport?

At the airport , by 8:30a

Plus add at least 50% more time than you think for the transportation getting there.

Ideally, stay one day in Venice and then take an early afternoon flight home the next day. You will have a full day of sightseeing and a less stressful connection the next day.

If you have to fly back the same day, try to get a flight in the afternoon. Getting home late beats missing the flight altogether.

Wow, thanks for the info. I think, I know I am glad we are flying in to VCE and out of Barcelona on our next cruise.

Us, too. Next cruise, we're flying into Venice and out of Rome.

Any words of wisdom and warnings about flying INTO Venice?

Ideally, stay one day in Venice and then take an early afternoon flight home the next day. You will have a full day of sightseeing and a less stressful connection the next day.

If you have to fly back the same day, try to get a flight in the afternoon. Getting home late beats missing the flight altogether.

Very good advice.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Hi,

We have a 9:55 flight out of VCE next April. I have scheduled a private water taxi from my hotel on Venice isle to the airport. I thought that would be enough time. Am I incorrect?

Us, too. Next cruise, we're flying into Venice and out of Rome.

Any words of wisdom and warnings about flying INTO Venice?

Are you going to Hotel or to cruise? To cruise best way it to prebook land taxi 45E if time is a matter if not water taxi (120 E) is best option .It will take 1.5-2 hours to come out of airport :loudcry:

Are you going to Hotel or to cruise? To cruise best way it to prebook land taxi 45E if time is a matter if not water taxi (120 E) is best option .It will take 1.5-2 hours to come out of airport :loudcry:

Going from airport to hotel. Are you saying 1.5-2 hours just to get out of the airport, or transit time into Venice? We are planning to get a shared water taxi to our hotel near Piazza San Marco.

We found Venice easy to fly Into. We have had more problems in Rome FCO, waiting nearly two hours to rent a car!

If you take the AliLaguna it does take quite awhile to get into Venice, probably the hour and a half. The other way is to take the airport bus to Piazzale Roma and then a water bus.

Depending where your hotel is exactly makes a big difference because of crossing bridges with luggage. We like the Best Western Ala as there is a very short walk from the bus stop to the hotel without bridges. So check all this out before deciding what would be the best transportation.

Also beware of strikes, last time we got caught by a water bus strike that was still supposed to service some stops but of course didn't. Waiting in the rain with luggage and no way to get out of town was not much fun! But still we LOVE Venice. But do stay overnight for several days to experience the magic of Venice at night when all the crowds are gone! Overnighting on the ship is just not that convenient. We rented an apartment last time.

AliLaguna- I just had 2 friends take this, and each time was 2 hours. Don't assume any shorter.

Going into Venice isn't "usual" either. You do need to have confirmed transportation in place if staying in the area. AND most important, a WORKING cell phone. Consistently TMobile is reliable- as example.

I find the "system". very inefficient. Vendors, are numerous with signage, and you have to hunt through them. Some "shuttles"= you have to be at various "places", outside near water tower, Lost and Found etc. So, verify who and where is picking you up.

If using the water taxi, again be generous with your time. It's a long walk ("longer" if you are overloaded). They leave promptly and don't wait for those in the distance, if time to go. (heard this complaint from several people, with missing the ferry).

I find Rome also gets bogged down, which I fly in/out of more often. And again- time is best to have extra of.

Going from airport to hotel. Are you saying 1.5-2 hours just to get out of the airport, or transit time into Venice? We are planning to get a shared water taxi to our hotel near Piazza San Marco.

1.5 To go out of airport in May :loudcry: . Took 15 min on water taxi to Hotel.

We will be taking a private water taxi from our hotel (Bauer Palazzo) private dock to the airport in September. When we get to the airport how long of a walk is it from the dock to the terminal and is their hand carts for our luggage or porters to help. We are flying out on American Airlines to the US.

We will be taking a private water taxi from our hotel (Bauer Palazzo) private dock to the airport in September. When we get to the airport how long of a walk is it from the dock to the terminal and is their hand carts for our luggage or porters to help. We are flying out on American Airlines to the US.

It depends where ship is docked.

We got a water taxi from Hotel Hilton Molina Stuckey and got dropped off right next to the ship.

It depends where ship is docked.

We got a water taxi from Hotel Hilton Molina Stuckey and got dropped off right next to the ship.

When you get back to the airport it is about 400-600 metres to the terminal.We never saw anyone with carts but we brought cases with 4 wheels and as the road is flat we managed our cases ourselves.

[quote name=bennybear;53591494

If you take the AliLaguna it does take quite awhile to get into Venice' date=' probably the hour and a half. The other way is to take the airport bus to Piazzale Roma and then a water bus.

Depending where your hotel is exactly makes a big difference because of crossing bridges with luggage. We like the Best Western Ala as there is a very short walk from the bus stop to the hotel without bridges. So check all this out before deciding what would be the best transportation.

Also beware of strikes, last time we got caught by a water bus strike that was still supposed to service some stops but of course didn't. Waiting in the rain with luggage and no way to get out of town was not much fun! But still we LOVE Venice. But do stay overnight for several days to experience the magic of Venice at night when all the crowds are gone! Overnighting on the ship is just not that convenient. We rented an apartment last time.[/quote]

We originally planned to take the alilaguna boat but are now planning to book a shared water taxi. Our hotel is right by the S. Zaccaria stop with no bridges to cross with luggage. We thought about staying at a hotel near P. Roma to make transportation easier, but decided we wanted to be more in the middle of Venice so we switched to a hotel near San Marco. We plan to take the alilaguna from our hotel to the ship the next day.