Should Private Lounges Be for Elite Level Only?

blkspy

Heard this discussion recently.

With so many Platinum level cruisers and Private Early Boarding lounges small and over flowing in some cruise ports. Would it be welcomed if Princess made the lounges a strictly Elite level benefit?

With so many Platinum level cruisers and Private Early Boarding lounges small and over flowing in some cruise ports. Would it be welcomed if Princess made the lounges a strictly Elite level benefit?

Or, like other cruise lines, only a Suite benefit.

Are you asking only about the separate waiting areas at embarkation ports, or (as the thread title implies) all "lounge" benefits for Platinum/Elite/Suite passengers (such as the nightly P/E/S cocktail hours, or the disembarkation lounge onboard)? If only the former I was under the impression that the embarkation lounges at most turnaround ports were already only for Elite and full Suite passengers. Platinum has a priority line but not a separate waiting area at all ports, nor do they receive priority boarding at all of them.

I'd vote for that, yes. I'm a blue card holder (unfortunately only until this first cruise is over) -- and don't want the jaded to infuse our virginal blue purity. Separate and unequal is fine please. Thank you for asking. :p

Our Motto:

BE PROUD, BE TRUE, BE......

4a22f2b6-76f8-4fe3-952e-a17701113dfe_260x364.jpg

Are you asking only about the separate waiting areas at embarkation ports, or (as the thread title implies) all "lounge" benefits for Platinum/Elite/Suite passengers (such as the nightly P/E/S cocktail hours, or the disembarkation lounge onboard)? If only the former I was under the impression that the embarkation lounges at most turnaround ports were already only for Elite and full Suite passengers. Platinum has a priority line but not a separate waiting area at all ports, nor do they receive priority boarding at all of them.

We have been able to wait in a priority embarkation lounge for Platinum cruiser in Fort Lauderdale, Southampton and Athens. I can't say this is the case in every port but I'm guessing it's in most. And yes, we boarded directly after Suite and Elite passengers, before all others.

This was sort of strange and not the way they use to do it:

Our last couple of times in Port Everglades once through the Priority line, we were sent to a different lounge than Platinum. The door was marked: Elite & Suite. Rather large room but it as quite crowded.

We boarded after handicapped and then came Platinum.

LuLu

I am elite. I have boarded in, Ft. Lauderdale, San Pedro, San Francisco, Copenhagen, Rio and maybe someplace I forgot. In these ports I did not feel that the system was broken, so my answer is leave it as it is. These ports are all different, but all have seating areas that are separated for Elites. My opinion has been and still remains that one should not search out special perks based on status, accept what is provided and enjoy the cruise.

Why yes of course. :p

There is a long recent thread on this very sore subject. :cool:

What does this have to do with the OP's question?

As the OP wished to take away something from Suite pax, I was just giving the opposite, for contrasting thoughts.

IMHO, Princess might, as a number of other cruise lines do (HAL for example), feel Suite pax have paid for a lounge level experience. Perks for higher ranking repeating customers can and are separate from Suite pax on many cruise lines.

As the OP wished to take away something from Suite pax, I was just giving the opposite, for contrasting thoughts.

IMHO, Princess might, as a number of other cruise lines do (HAL for example), feel Suite pax have paid for a lounge level experience. Perks for higher ranking repeating customers can and are separate from Suite pax on many cruise lines.

I did not see it that way, thought the OP was commenting on adding something.

Let's be fair..

Under the current system the chaotic and jam packed Elite-Platinum-Suite disembarking lounge is a benefit to almost nobody.

As it is now, unless you arrive at the crack of dawn and get a early departure number, except for the coffee and rolls there is absolutely nothing "Elite", Platinum or "Suite" about being jammed in with 3 or 4 hundred other passengers. On my last few cruises it was absolutely faster and easier to just stick with your colored tag and disembark when your color is called .

So.....

Why not spread out the groups a bit, have a smaller lounge for "Elite" and "Suites", (yes a separation by status) and in a somewhat larger lounge with all the same goodie's as you have now, for the "Platinum's" .. Everyone would be less jammed in and more comfortable and everyone's departure's will end up being alot less chaotic, and a smoother departure for everyone befitting of your hard earned loyality status.

YMMV

Srpilo

Let's be fair..

Under the current system the chaotic and jam packed Elite-Platinum-Suite disembarking lounge is a benefit to almost nobody.

As it is now, unless you arrive at the crack of dawn and get a early departure number, except for the coffee and rolls there is absolutely nothing "Elite", Platinum or "Suite" about being jammed in with 3 or 4 hundred other passengers. On my last few cruises it was absolutely faster and easier to just stick with your colored tag and disembark when your color is called .

So.....

Why not spread out the groups a bit, have a smaller lounge for "Elite" and "Suites", (yes a separation by status) and in a somewhat larger lounge with all the same goodie's as you have now, for the "Platinum's" .. Everyone would be less jammed in and more comfortable and everyone's departure's will end up being alot less chaotic, and a smoother departure for everyone befitting of your hard earned loyality status.

YMMV

Srpilo

The discussion I LISTENED to, this was the same conclusion that was brought up. The New York lounge is always over flowing. Myself? Im Elite and I always arrive early:) Happy cruising everyone.

San Pedro had always been a lounge for Plat and Elite until my last cruise in March. Then we had separate areas. I talked to the staff about it and they said it depends on how many there were in the categorizes. They did however allow Plat in the lounge for refreshment.