Bringing Sand Home

sjmbruce

1st cruise this december, heading to the panama canal with princess! i know there are sometimes a lot of rules about what you can take off the ship and bring back.

are you able to bring sand from the beach back onto the ship?

the ports we'd be likely to bring back sand from are aruba, costa rica and jamaica.

thanks!

Speaking of bringing things home watch out of the "conch shell scam" which goes on in many of the ports. Unsuspecting tourists go snorkeling or diving and find a conch. They bring it up and the tour guide or some guy at the port offers to cook it up for them and while you enjoy your sumptuous meal they will clean the shell and have it ready for you to keep as a keep sake. All at a price.

The tourist happily obliges believing they have the ultimate prize: a great meal and a treasure. They don't.

Many countries prohibit removing conch shells taken while diving. (they want you to buy one at a much higher price and they don't want the conch beds devastated by raiding) The tour operators know this and perpetuate their scam for the money. The guy who makes the offer knows the shell will be confiscated at the pier when the cruiser attempts to leave with it. There are typically PILES of them.

Years and Years ago we brought home some black sand from Hawaii -- packed it in plastic bags and had the hotel seal it for us.

For years we used to bring home sea shells from various beaches -- have some really nice ones. I just made certain that there weren't any critters in them before I packed them for traveling.

My daughter & I went on cruises to Cozumel, Jamaica, & Grand Cayman, and we collected sand at each place and put it in the small zip lock bags to bring home. We didn't have a problem bringing them aboard ship, or when we got back home going through customs.

I put ours in old Mason jars, and labeled them. They sit on a shelf in our game room. It's interesting to see the difference in the sands collected at different places.

We've also brought back small shells in our suitcase w/no problems.

I have about a pound in my trunk from New Jersey only it is loose.

EWWWW that must have been very uncomfortable :eek:. Oh I'm sorry I thought you meant in your swim "trunks" from sitting on the beach :p.

Edited by lady_cruiser

The guy who makes the offer knows the shell will be confiscated at the pier when the cruiser attempts to leave with it. There are typically PILES of them.

Why are they confiscated at the pier? We brought a conch shell home (and a pretty big one too) in Grand Cayman back in March. No one took the shell either at the port or coming back in to the US at customs. :confused:

I also take small ziploc baggies to put sand in and bring back with me. I put the sand in my scrapbooks.

Never had any problems....

Ahhh, I scrapbook and always buy the scrapbooking "kit" they sell on the ships for our cruise (so that it is our cruise specific). I never thought about collecting a little bit of sand for it. It looks like I'll be bringing some ziplock baggies with me next time! :D

Back in 1980, I was in Spokane right after the Mt. St. Helen's eruption. I asked my friend if I could take home some of the ash, and he said that I'm more than welcome to it. He helped me collect some and put it in an old jar. I still have it, and the only time I opened it was to put some into a tiny vial that my daughter attached to a poster she made for her volcano project in 6th grade.

Our duaghter got married a year ago. She loves the beach, and wanted a beach theme wedding. She could not go on the previous cruise, or week long house rental in Cozumel, but my neice who was her maid of honor went. We went to beaches everywhere and collected sand for her center pieces at the head table. And the shells in them were from the carib as well, that we collected. Everyone else got sand from the hardware store and walmart shells! We took tons of pics collecting it and she really was brought to tears when we came back with "real" beach sand for her.

we always bring back sand! I pack the small "snack" size zip lock bags and I write the name of the port on each baggie! Then I purchase a "shot glass" from each port and once we are home i put the sand in the shot glass and they are all on display on our fireplace mantle!!!

I love the shot glass idea! Does anyone else have any unique ways to display the sand? We are going on our first cruise next year and I think this is a tradition/collection I'd like to start. Thanks!

I also collect a small amount of sand when I travel. I put it in skinny corked bottles from Michaels. I label them with rub on letters. I have about 8-9 so far and the look neat lined up. Also saw on Pinterest where someone had a large jar and just added different layers of sand and labeled each layer. I like that idea too.

My Husband proposed to me on Half Moon Cay! So, of course, I wanted to take sand home! I put sand in a Carnival drink bottle and dropped it in my bag. When we returned to the boat, my bag was scanned and I was pulled to the side to have my bag searched. They looked at me like I was crazy when I told them what it was! They wouldn't let me take it on board. :(

Whether or not you can get away with taking sand back onto the ship.. if you are returning to the US, it's against the law to bring back sand, soil, or vegetation. Sand can have microscopic insects that can hurt the environment.

As for shells, customs will usually overlook items that have been sufficiently cleaned and disinfected. Taking shells that still have residual animal tissue attached is a no-no.

Most conch shells taken from the water will not be clean enough to pass inspection.

Not saying a lot of people don't get away with it.. just saying... it's not allowed.

Except that it's not that clear cut.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/clearing/agri_prod_inus.xml

The above-linked Customs document says "Pure sand, such as a small container of decorative beach sand, is usually allowed."

Just how "pure" do you think beach sand is when taken directly from the beach???

It's not processed decorative sand.. it's got all kinds of living things in it.

• 4 months later...

just wanted to update my questions now that ive returned and have answers.

i got sand from beaches in aruba, colombia, costa rica and jamaica. i put them in small glass jars with lids that i bought from walmart. i put them in my bag before i got onboard and never had any problems going through security.

i wish i would have remembered the shot glass idea! but i like the souvenir of sand i now have

just wanted to update my questions now that ive returned and have answers.

i got sand from beaches in aruba, colombia, costa rica and jamaica. i put them in small glass jars with lids that i bought from walmart. i put them in my bag before i got onboard and never had any problems going through security.

i wish i would have remembered the shot glass idea! but i like the souvenir of sand i now have

Did you declare the sand to customs and they let you thru.. or did you just sneak them thru in your luggage???

Hope you didn't bring back any larvae or harmful bugs with you.