The TA deals have already started

ghstudio

One of our (very large) internet TA's is already offering a free upgrade to "better" plus some OBC on new celebrity bookings. That didn't take long :)

However, TA's are tripping over themselves on other things....for example you can pick free gratuities but since you can only book select dining and waitlist for early/late, you apparently have to pay for the gratuities in advance (with final payment). Confusing.....

We booked pre BBB and have Select dining. The TA is giving us Prepaid grats and OBC. We did not have to pay the gratuities in advance and have made final payment. So there must be a way that the TAs can set it up so you don't have to pay them.

We book with a big online agency and have never had to prepay our gratuities. Also, an interesting fact we found out is that if you find a cruise online that you really like, rather than book online with the big box TA, give the online TA a call. Everytime we have done that we have been able to ask for onboard credit (as well as having the prepaid gratuities). They can quite often add some OBC especially if they book you into a group. Our TA next year has both prepaid gratuities and OBC.

We book with a big online agency and have never had to prepay our gratuities. Also, an interesting fact we found out is that if you find a cruise online that you really like, rather than book online with the big box TA, give the online TA a call. Everytime we have done that we have been able to ask for onboard credit (as well as having the prepaid gratuities). They can quite often add some OBC especially if they book you into a group. Our TA next year has both prepaid gratuities and OBC.

We usually have an option of pre-paid gratuities or a discount, and take whichever is more. There is always OBC from the consortium as well.

I wish I knew which online TA you guys are using......:):):):)

Here's a link from Cruise Critic: http://www.cruisecritic.com/shipshop/

The third one down is the one I believe everyone is talking about. I used them once, and never again. They charge a hefty cancellation fee if something happens and you have to cancel, and their customer service sucks!!!

The third one down is the one I believe everyone is talking about. I used them once, and never again. They charge a hefty cancellation fee if something happens and you have to cancel, and their customer service sucks!!!

We have never used them. Also, we have never been charged for cancelling a cruise and we have booked, changed or cancelled lots of times. Not all TA's charge. Just ask when you phone and confirm that there is no charge

I've used the third one down for the last eight years. Love them! Great deals, discounts over Celebrity pricing, and other perks like OBC and gratuities. I've had wonderful customer service. I had one cancellation for which they waived the fee due to my past business with them.

The physical agency is just a few miles from my home. It's reputation as a workplace is excellent.

I've used the third one down for the last eight years. Love them! Great deals, discounts over Celebrity pricing, and other perks like OBC and gratuities. I've had wonderful customer service. I had one cancellation for which they waived the fee due to my past business with them.

The physical agency is just a few miles from my home. It's reputation as a workplace is excellent.

The recent reviews here on CC and elsewhere have been less than stellar.

I wish I knew which online TA you guys are using......:):):):)

My favorite doesn't charge cancellation fees. I think I found it by taking a subject (such as cruise) and just slapping a dot com after it. They almost always provide free gratuities plus some OBC.

Do a Google search for a topic like 'discount, last minute cruises' and many agencies will pop up in the first two search pages. You are the best judge of the quality of service received, ask specifically about cancellation charges, OBC, etc. I did not like the "order taker" first contact and expect one agent to have some interest in my booking.

I have used a service where agents bid for my specific cruise, and both times found small agents willing to negotiate who had group rates, but have ultimately settled with a big agency known for its good newsletter, informative website and one agent who takes my order and supports me from then on with changes, special requests, and any problems that my occur.

Edited by Janet987

I agree. I've used this TA numerous times and was very happy. However, due to unexpected family emergencies I had to change my last cruise and cancel another one altogether. I got stuck with hefty change/cancellation fees for both. I won't be using them again. :cool:

I have a great relationship with my TA. She is very upfront and there are no cancelation fees. The OBC is fantastic, though I always book onboard and then transfer. I have also always had all three perks as long as I have had her (5 years) and never had a problem due to booking onboard. This next cruise has $825 OBC and all the bells and whistles. I hope it lasts...:) She also alerts me to any discounts after booking and before the final payment. the relationship is very important to me and I can reach her or the company seven days a week. This company is not on the above list mentioned, but is a large company. booking onboard did make us pay our select dining upfront, but they will be taken off. Strange policy IMO.

Edited by Lastdance

I agree. I've used this TA numerous times and was very happy. However, due to unexpected family emergencies I had to change my last cruise and cancel another one altogether. I got stuck with hefty change/cancellation fees for both. I won't be using them again. :cool:

There is a remedy for large cancellation charges and that is to take out your travel insurance as soon as you make your booking. From that moment on you are covered in event of unexpected cancellation.

I find it interesting that some are happy to take all the perks offered when booking but are not willing to accept penalties for cancellation.

Remember guys there is no such thing as a free lunch in the cruising industry until you get onboard your cruise ship

We had booked many, many cruises with the TA in question, but when we needed to cancel a booking for extenuating circumstances, they said, "no dice. We charge everyone the cancellation fee, no matter how loyal they have been with us." So we canceled, paid their fee, and booked elsewhere since. Number of sailings they lost: Somewhere around 40. And, since we now largely book group deals, amount saved by NOT booking that TA: Probably close to $30,000.

I have also used an agency that offered some nice extras, but lately I'm not too happy with them. And, they do charge a hefty cancellation fee which is a turnoff to me. Recently, my cruise went down $100 per person, so $200 total savings. When I asked the agent to refare it for me, she did. But she had to remove $150 on board credit the agency had given me for the booking. I know the extras they give you come out of their commission, and if your price is lower, their commission is lower. So I understand a reduction in the extras the agency gives you if the price goes down. I expected perhaps a $50 reduction in the onboard credit the agency gave me. But to loose $150 onboard credit because of a $200 price reduction? Seems excessive to me.

I think an agency can become too successful, and then they start offering less value, unpopular fees, and customer service declines. I've noticed what I think is a fairly good reduction in what my former agency offers, so I've looked for a new agency. For my most recent booking, I used an online site where you enter the information on the cruise you are interested in, and a number of agencies email quotes to you. I was really happy with what they offered me - quite a bit better than the agency I used to use, and no cancellation fee. I think I've found my new favorite agency.

I used them once for a southeast asia cruise they delivered better than promised. We a Panama Canal Reposition cruise booked for this December. Customer Service has been perfect so far.

Yes there have been some complaints, but many more people have none. And they do tell you up front about the cancellation fee and it's in the paperwork.

YMMV, Happy Sailing!

However, TA's are tripping over themselves on other things....for example you can pick free gratuities but since you can only book select dining and waitlist for early/late, you apparently have to pay for the gratuities in advance (with final payment). Confusing.....

I just did a final payment, and my TA told me the same thing, however once she finalized the invoice somehow, the system added a credit to the account.

I think it was this item that removed it "GRATUITIES". I did not end up paying the grats and awaiting a refund or OBC.

Here's a full list of the codes on my invoice, I never realized there were so many...we are 3 pax in a cabin, sailing under the all-in 123 promo and a book on board, and in a RS.

GRATUITIES ✔ ✔ ✔

CELEBRITY PA ✔ - -

123GOPROMO3 ✔ ✔ ✔

PRBEVINCGRAT ✔ ✔ ✔

PRBVPROMO ✔ ✔ ✔

AI CEL CL AL ✔ ✔ -

AI CEL PR AL ✔ ✔ -

123GOPROMO4 - - ✔

INTERNETCHG - - ✔

BEVNAINGRAT - - ✔

AI CEL PR NA - - ✔

SPRINGPROMOB - - ✔

AI CEL CL NA

The 3rd one down charges for cancellation even if you have a covered insurance issue. I've fought using them for a long time because the on line TA I used for years never charged anything for any changes or cancellations. I finally gave in because their offer for an upcoming cruise was to good to turn down. I've met many folks on cruises who love them and are faithful clients. We shall see 😏

Can I book direct with Celebrity into a group #, then transfer to a TA (3rd down on the list) to get the better pricing and "all in" promo deal? The group# would include us in a private reception with the 24+ people in our group (10th anniversary of our last group cruise), plus they have a block of cabins reserved. Or do I book direct with TA and give them the group #? None of the rest of the group is gung ho on using a TA, and the organizer of the group gets interline rates. The all in deal would be $40 cheaper, have premium package, and free internet. We upgraded the drink package on our last cruise for the last 2 days and enjoyed it....

Greg & Lisa

Can I book direct with Celebrity into a group #, then transfer to a TA (3rd down on the list) to get the better pricing and "all in" promo deal? The group# would include us in a private reception with the 24+ people in our group (10th anniversary of our last group cruise), plus they have a block of cabins reserved. Or do I book direct with TA and give them the group #? None of the rest of the group is gung ho on using a TA, and the organizer of the group gets interline rates. The all in deal would be $40 cheaper, have premium package, and free internet. We upgraded the drink package on our last cruise for the last 2 days and enjoyed it....

Greg & Lisa

It depends on the rules of the group you are traveling in.

My upcoming Summit Crusie, I am booked with a group. I booked on board as normal, then sent to my normal TA and told her I wanted to be in the group I am sailing with.

She contacted the group and they were happy to work with my TA and take my reservation. They are giving my TA the standard TA commission.

I have sailed with another group, that would not allow me to transfer a booked-on-board reservation nor let my TA service it, and have sailed with a group that allowed book-on-board to transfer, but not allow a TA's involvement.

It boils down to what is important to the group, getting the sales commission on the cabins (which ends up in the hands of the TA involved if there is one - otherwise the group gets it) or if they are happy just having a cabin count only - as they get 1 free cabin for every 15 they sell. In my case, the group I'm sailing with this year, all they cared about was cabin count, not commission. The other group wanted BOTH the free cabins they accumulated AND full commission on cabins sold. I no longer book with that group.

One issue I see with your circumstance, is you mention you are getting Interline fares. These are generally non-commissionable, so no TA wants anything to do with those. They are very cheap fares reserved for use by associated travel industry partners, like other crusie employees and airline staff, who are target audiences to fill cabins at the last minute due to their flexibility in travel (like FA's fly free on standby). I am unsure if they require Identification to use them (i.e. is your group really allowed to use them for all traveling?) but I would think they do.

Edited by cle-guy

I am using them for the first time for an upcoming cruise. The deal was too good to pass up. Much better than what I had booked through Celebrity. However....

I have not been happy with their CS. I booked with one TA thinking that she would be "the one." When I asked for an invoice, it was sent by someone else (a xeroxed copy of the invoice with some penciled-in notes.) When I decided to upgrade, I contacted the first TA again by email and the upgrade was handled by a 3rd person. When I wanted another invoice showing the changes, I called the first TA direct on her extension and once again got a another new person who sent the invoice (another copy with penciled-in notes.).

Final payment was suppose to be last Friday, and I have yet to receive a confirmation that payment was made. Must I ask again for that? :rolleyes: