What's left for travel agent perks

Pirouette

What more do you expect from your TA?

A travel agent works hard to keep your loyalty and to earn the meager commission a cruiseline pays, yet it seems to me the client always wants more.

Do any of you still working give rebates to your customers? I doubt it, but travel agents are still asked for some of their hard-earned monies.

I actually expect something for my loyalty. This is my third cruise in less than 2 years with O booked by the same agency. It has been dealing with my family for several years. I did all the groundwork. The TA just confirmed the booking in each instance. The agency accidentally forwarded the TA/ Oceania document for our last cruise so I know the commission rate. For 15 minute's work, it is not meagre. Last time we received free gratuities for a 10 day cruise. This time they are included. I prefer to deal with an agent in the event that There is an issue, but surely loyalty is worth something.

Who cares?

Does it matter if it's the TA or the line that gives it to you?

It does matter. Most likely you would get both with a good TA. The Cruise line everyone gets it - as it is an incentive from the cruise line (an advertised bonus). Latest Oceania specials are free grats, internet plus some OBC.

The TA's is that plus a percentage of their commission. This additional contribution can vary from 0% to up to 10% (depending on TA and cruise line).

I actually expect something for my loyalty. This is my third cruise in less than 2 years with O booked by the same agency. It has been dealing with my family for several years. I did all the groundwork. The TA just confirmed the booking in each instance. The agency accidentally forwarded the TA/ Oceania document for our last cruise so I know the commission rate. For 15 minute's work, it is not meagre. Last time we received free gratuities for a 10 day cruise. This time they are included. I prefer to deal with an agent in the event that There is an issue, but surely loyalty is worth something.

Then find another TA.. Since recommendations are not allowed. Discuss this with some of your cruise friends in your next cruise.

Edited by PaulMCO

We just signed up for another O cruise. This one includes free gratuities, unlimited internet and a shipboard credit. What could our travel agent possibly throw in as an extra perk when everything is already included?

Excellent service? So many have no clue what this about, but those of us that have it realize how invaluable it is. ;)

What more do you expect from your TA?

A travel agent works hard to keep your loyalty and to earn the meager commission a cruiseline pays, yet it seems to me the client always wants more.

Do any of you still working give rebates to your customers? I doubt it, but travel agents are still asked for some of their hard-earned monies.

Do you really know how much commision cruise lines pay??? Yes, it is probably meager for mainline cruise lines where the cruise fare is low to simply get people on board and any profits come from the on board sales of everything from soup to nuts. Don't know what mainline cruises pay but, do know they would actually lose money if people didn't buy all of the extras on board so assume commissions are low.

However, on upscale and luxury lines, money is made based just on the cruise fare that is fully commissionable and is in the range of 17% so on a $10K cruise fare, that TA makes about $1,700. Not meager IMHO so the TA's in their business plan rebate portions of that commission to the customer and still make a good profit.

By the way, most of us don't "ask" for a portion of the commission. It is something the TA does as in the course of his or her business. And at least some of the "free" OBC, Internet, gratuities, etc. does come from the cruise line and doesn't impact the TA's commission.

There are TA's that will "rebate" 10% or more of the commissionable cruise fare, just got to hunt them out. Good service along with fair pricing is available you simply have to ask your fellow cruisers although not allowed on this board.

Now, if you need your hands held and are phoning your TA weekly asking for more and more help, don't expect the same rebates as time is money.

Do you really know how much commision cruise lines pay??? Yes, it is probably meager for mainline cruise lines where the cruise fare is low to simply get people on board and any profits come from the on board sales of everything from soup to nuts. Don't know what mainline cruises pay but, do know they would actually lose money if people didn't buy all of the extras on board so assume commissions are low.

However, on upscale and luxury lines, money is made based just on the cruise fare that is fully commissionable and is in the range of 17% so on a $10K cruise fare, that TA makes about $1,700. Not meager IMHO so the TA's in their business plan rebate portions of that commission to the customer and still make a good profit.

By the way, most of us don't "ask" for a portion of the commission. It is something the TA does as in the course of his or her business. And at least some of the "free" OBC, Internet, gratuities, etc. does come from the cruise line and doesn't impact the TA's commission.

There are TA's that will "rebate" 10% or more of the commissionable cruise fare, just got to hunt them out. Good service along with fair pricing is available you simply have to ask your fellow cruisers although not allowed on this board.

Now, if you need your hands held and are phoning your TA weekly asking for more and more help, don't expect the same rebates as time is money.

Agree 100% -- and those more generous TAs may have huge volume and lots of recommendations. A TA can decide to make a lot of commission on a handful of cruises or less commission on hundreds of cruises. The net in the end is what counts. It's a choice.

I actually expect something for my loyalty. This is my third cruise in less than 2 years with O booked by the same agency. It has been dealing with my family for several years. I did all the groundwork. The TA just confirmed the booking in each instance.

Did you ask your TA for anything more?

I made our final payment today. I have not asked for anything extra. I will be receiving our invoice shortly and will wait to see if anything extra has been included. In my view, I should not have to ask for anything. It should come as a matter of course. We will see.

Personally I think most travel agents are the same within a small range when it comes to perks especially if you negotiate a deal with them BUT there is a huge difference between them when you get into trouble - a missed/delayed flight, problem in boarding, problem with the cruise line. That is when you can tell you have a good agent and then the perks don't really matter that much!

Some TA's kick back a percentage as a cash rebate.

And that can be some 8 to 12% of the fare, after you got all the on board internet, gratuities, etc.

Buying a high end cruise is like buying anything high end expensive you need to negotiate what you get.... or not get it

I made our final payment today. I have not asked for anything extra. I will be receiving our invoice shortly and will wait to see if anything extra has been included. In my view, I should not have to ask for anything. It should come as a matter of course. We will see.

But that is like buying a car or home for full asking price.... All the prices listed by O and others are starting points not final points.. In the future remember its your money and its important to spend it to your advantage.

If you don't ask, for the most part you don't get....

And that can be some 8 to 12% of the fare, after you got all the on board internet, gratuities, etc.

Buying a high end cruise is like buying anything high end expensive you need to negotiate what you get.... or not get it

Dan, weren't you the guy that had trouble with your TA by not getting what you were originally promised as few months ago?

How many times in the last two years did you visit our doctor? Or consult a lawyer? Do you expect something from them for your loyalty?

How many times in the last two years did you visit our doctor? Or consult a lawyer? Do you expect something from them for your loyalty?

Yes, absolutely. Why are Doctors and Lawyers any different than car dealers?? Yes, Doctors are a bit different but, not a lot of difference between used car dealers and ambulance chasers!!!! That said, at least for doctors, most, if not all on this board have insurance/medicare who negotiate doctors rates so not in that case but, if I was paying full price to a doctor I would expect discounts/rebates for loyalty.

Most everything in this world is negotiable so why not TA's???

The above being said, I believe in a phrase that was used in by business activities and that is fair and reasonable which applies to both the buyer and the seller. Is it fair and reasonable for a TA to make $3400 for a $20K cruise booking where they simply book what one asks for and provides the tickets at the end for say a couple of hours work??? If one needs their hands held and the TA needs to spend many hours of research, bookings, phone calls, etc. then no, perhaps no rebate or certainly a smaller one.

For lawyers, always compare pricing and look for discounts for loyalty. Of course you have to compare the service with the cost.

Edited by rallydave

But that is like buying a car or home for full asking price...

Funny, around where I come from the asking price for a home is just the start, then the price starts going up!

...That said, at least for doctors, most, if not all on this board have insurance/medicare who negotiate doctors rates so not in that case ...

How happy I am that I don't have to negotiate with any doctors, ever. Did I have to ask my surgeon what my operation was going to cost? No, I didn't.

Agree with your thinking. Actually, it sounds like some posters negotiate with doctors and lawyers as well. My DH once "bargained" with a real estate person to sell a rental home. The deal was made -- the real estate person did not show the house. You get what you pay for. In terms of rewarding loyalty, Oceania does have a loyalty program. I also agree with Hambagahle. TA's perform a very important service to their customers.

How happy I am that I don't have to negotiate with any doctors, ever. Did I have to ask my surgeon what my operation was going to cost? No, I didn't.

I live in US and I don't have to negotiate prices for my surgery or doctor's visits either - ever.

Just out of curiosity - how long did you have to "wait" for your elective operation - or even a study like a CT scan or MRI? My cousin lives in Canada and I hear about those things from her.

Just out of curiosity - how long did you have to "wait" for your elective operation - or even a study like a CT scan or MRI? My cousin lives in Canada and I hear about those things from her.

Paul it depends on the circumstances, the hospital & the doctor

I have gotten some of those tests done within a week of seeing my GP

Some have been longer

At the hospital near us they run the MRI's 24/7 & yes people may have to wait

but if urgent you are in asap

It is a different system than the USA

Lyn

I live in US and I don't have to negotiate prices for my surgery or doctor's visits either - ever.

Without getting too specific, a few days to get the diagnostic procedure, two days more to see the surgeon, surgery a week later. Didn't involve CT or MRI. But it was not elective. The only elective procedures I've had are cataract surgery, and there was no real wait for that--just fitting it into the doctor's monthly schedule.

My cousin lives in Canada and I hear about those things from her.

If you know anyone in one of those so called "Medicare Advantage" plans, you shouldn't have to wait to hear from your cousin to learn about delayed or postponed tests...

There is plenty of that happening on this side of the border as well. :cool: