Shower in the bathtub

happysnapper

We are starting to have misgivings about the cabin we have booked on the Golden Princess. It has a shower over the bath. We are both in our 70's definitely not invalids but DH has had a hip replacement. The cruise is for 34 days next year. Have any CCs had experience with this configuration, if so has it been a problem?

We are starting to have misgivings about the cabin we have booked on the Golden Princess. It has a shower over the bath. We are both in our 70's definitely not invalids but DH has had a hip replacement. The cruise is for 34 days next year. Have any CCs had experience with this configuration, if so has it been a problem?

I have a back problem and getting in and out of a tub at home is a problem, that is multiplied about 100 times when you add in even a little movement of a ship.

So all I can say is that we're it me I'd be looking to change cabins.

I agree with Gut however the showers are minuscule and could have there own set of problems. ;)

That's true, unless you do like gut does and don't leave anything in the bathroom that can't get wet and just let the whole bathroom be the shower stall.

To me, the tubs are a pretty high step over. I always have to hold onto the towel rack on the wall at the back of the tub so I won't trip getting in and out.

I'm in my early 50's and have no mobility issues at all.

I would try to get a handicap cabin. If I were you just to be safe. You don't want him to fall and get hurt. Good Luck and have a great cruise.

Tony

Yep after hip surgery too risky, by far.

Maybe ask for a shower chair to put in the tub? Might help, maybe.

Not a bad idea, but he would still need to be able to get in and out of the tub and I think that'd be the biggest issue.

I assume you booked a mini-suite or a full suite. If so, the side of the tub is pretty high. The biggest problem would be climbing out after your shower when you're wet and the bottom of the tub is slippery. That said, you should be fine. I have friends who have had hip replacement surgery and were climbing in and out of rugged vehicles and equally active within a few months.

I had a hip replacement two years ago. I almost killed my self trying to get leg over the tub....just way to high! Get a cabin with a shower,much safer and your dh will be much happier! Lean from my experience.

I was in a mini suite on the Grand in January. I have also had a hip replacement. My concern before boarding was if there would be some grab bars. There was a small one and I did fine. I had no problem getting in and out of the tub.

Thanks everyone.:) Just did a 3D tour of the mini suite on the Golden and saw the grab rail. DH feels a bit better now after all the comments, especially from West Coast Cruiser who has had a THR and been in a similar cabin. We may take a rubber bath mat with us for extra security. Hate him to slip.

Thanks everyone.:) Just did a 3D tour of the mini suite on the Golden and saw the grab rail. DH feels a bit better now after all the comments, especially from West Coast Cruiser who has had a THR and been in a similar cabin. We may take a rubber bath mat with us for extra security. Hate him to slip.

We had a mini suite on the Golden a few years ago and were also worried about the shower over the bath. So long as you're careful it's all good, and you have the added bonus of a much larger bathroom which means more room to manoeuver. There should already be a non slip mat in the bathroom. If not ask your cabin steward and he'll provide one.

Mom finds it easier to sit on the edge and swivel rather than stepping over and into the tub.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have been doing this for years to get in and out of tubs with a high step over, and I am only in my 50's and am very active with no mobility problems. Couple that with a rubber no slip in the tub and it is a very safe way to handle this issue. I also like to put a towel down over the side of the tub to sit on, helps me "spin" into the tub. :)

We cruised on Princess in a mini suite and we loved it. The exception was the tub. In our mini suite there were no grab bars to help getting in and out of the tub. We're both 80, my husband has balance issues and I had a compound fracture of my ankle so needless to say I'm very careful. Getting in and out of that tub was an experience.

I would love a mini suite again, but I would have to know for sure that there were bars in the tub are to facilitate getting in and out of the shower.

Lynn

We wish they would just get rid of the bathtubs and provide a much larger shower.

But some love the bath tub and see it as a big reason to book a mini suite so it's hard for the line to win

But some love the bath tub and see it as a big reason to book a mini suite so it's hard for the line to win

I simply didn't realise that having a soak in a bathtub was a holiday priority for some... but on these boards I have learned otherwise. I'm curious about the attraction...

Is it that few homes in some countries have a bathtub so it is seen as a luxury? In Australia the majority of homes include at least one bathtub so I'm guessing that is why I don't understand.

The Golden is one of the ships that has Window Suites. Too bad you couldn't have snagged one of those as they have a separate shower and also a jetted tub. On some cruises it really isn't that much more then a mini suite.

Edited by waltd