premier inn or hotel for night before cruising

kiltyjock

Hi

we are on the Baltic Cruise on 14th July.

hope to fly down from Edinburgh the night before. Suggestions needed for hotel near station but handy for port terminal.

We should be travelling light as intend to use baggage handling co for luggage.

Is train from airport best option.

All suggestions gratefully received.

KJ

The station at the airport is adjacent and there are lots of trains to Southampton Central.

I use the Premier Inn West Quay which is about 15 mins walk from the station, easy for me even with a wheeled suitcase.

I usually catch a taxi to the terminal but on a sunny day i might walk to the Ocean terminal, taking about 25 minutes

I can vouch for the Premier Inn at West Quay; very handy for the terminals, and extremely friendly and helpful staff. The car park is not attached to the hotel which may be a pain for some people, and there is building development across the road, but again we didn't find this a problem. Have stayed there a couple of times over the past 4 years, and would stay again if we wanted to be city centre-based. Now we stay at Hythe for the views. Hope that helps.

We've used both Dolphin and Grand Harbour.

GH has better rooms, but hopeless restaurant. The food is okay, but they run out of things.

Dolphin is a bit of a rabbit warren, but good central location.

From GH to city terminal was only a couple of hundred yards, so no problem.

A taxi from the Dolphin to the quays is about £8.

Have fun.

Stewart

Having used the Dolphin in the past once and the Holiday Inn twice before we would definitely use the HI again. It is right by the docks with great views. :)

Hi - we are booked in to the Dolphin this year. Is it OK?

The Holiday Inn was alright last year but a bit noisy. It was basic but clean. Breakfast was a bit of a bunfight! The Dolphin quoted me a price including 15 nights parking £45 cheaper than the Holiday Inn!

We happily stay in the Dolphin, or the Holiday Inn, depends on the best deal at the time.

Personally I prefer The Dolphin. No problems staying there Mysticalmother.

Thanks - that very helpful. Especially as I am booked there for both cruises this summer!😀

My choice is always the Premier Inn West Quay, so much so I will be staying there for the 5th time in a few weeks time

10 mins walk from the train station and about 15 walks to Ocean Terminal

Always immaculate with friendly, helpful staff

I keep getting put off by the parking arrangements at the West Quay Premier Inn.

Can someone tell me how it works please, much as I like the Holiday Inn its twice the price!

Assuming you are on Aurora ex Berth 106 at the Mayflower Terminal, you might want to look at the Novotel & Ibis Hotels. They are very close to the station and nearer to Dock Gate 10 for the Mayflower. Advance saver rates at the Ibis Budget £41.

Another vote for the Premier Inn. We've stayed there 7-8 times now after having tried others. It's so clean and modern, and although it is definitely not luxurious it's consistently good for an overnight stay. The other big plus for us is that it's so convenient for places to eat and the main shopping centre.

What I like about the Premier Inn is you get pretty much the same whichever you stay in. The only downside is the sausages at breakfast, nasty paste filled tubes only matched for nastyness by the Thomson cruise breakfast offerings. P&O's are pretty good and they do speciality ones as well, if you know where to look ;)

Yesterday i tried Cumberland from a well known supermarket, they went in the bin, after all, i am a cumbrian so know what a proper sausage should taste like :rolleyes:

We stayed at The Dolphin a few weeks ago. Never again! :(

It was the noisiest room we have ever had and was right opposite a lap dancing club where the "action" and the loud music carried on until 4am. The room was dusty, the radiator didn't work, the shower room had an awful smell and the other P&O people staying there also had the same experience, so it wasn't just the one room.

The Holiday Inn or The Premier Inn are clean, well located and a much better bet for a pre cruise stay.

I've stayed at the Grand Harbour once, and wasn't sure about it. In our case the weather was cold and wet, despite it being July (the Grand Event, in fact) but even so the Grand Harbour was very warm. The existence of a fan in a cupboard in our room suggested that in hot weather the rooms in the GH might get very hot - thanks to the interesting architectural design there's a lot of glass in the building.

I've also stayed at both the Ibis Budget and the Ibis. I wouldn't recommend the Ibis Budget - it's very basic. The Ibis was OK, however. Both of these are just a few minutes walk from Southampton Central station. One big advantage of both of these for those driving to Southampton is that they have a huge carpark, but that's not a factor for you.

I haven't stayed at the West Quay Premier Inn, but based on stays at many, many other PIs around the country, that's the one I would go for, especially if, like you, I didn't have to worry about car parking.

At Premier Inn there is an unloading bay where you can stay for a while I think it is officially 30 minutes but I think we were a bit longer.

We checked in and went to the room with our bags, then he who must be obeyed just drove out of the Hotel car park round the corner into another (at reduced cost with hotel voucher),,

It is a very short distance and fine for one night.

At Premier Inn there is an unloading bay where you can stay for a while I think it is officially 30 minutes but I think we were a bit longer.

We checked in and went to the room with our bags, then he who must be obeyed just drove out of the Hotel car park round the corner into another (at reduced cost with hotel voucher),,

It is a very short distance and fine for one night.

Is the car park that you use overnight when staying at Premier Inn a public car park or is it owned by hotel.

Its a public car park, attached to West Quay shopping Centre

Somebody mentioned building work opposite the Premier Inn, FINALLY good to see that bit of land having something happening to it... any ideas exactly as to what it will be and more importantly how noisy the building work is?....

Building shops restaurants and I think New 5* hotel but don't quote me! We always stay at this premiere inn so covienient to west quay shops and cruise ships. Usually get really cheap rooms booking 6 - 3 months in advance keep doing booking check for besrtdeal. However June cruise prices sky rocketed.....its round the island yacht race the day we sail!

Somebody mentioned building work opposite the Premier Inn, FINALLY good to see that bit of land having something happening to it... any ideas exactly as to what it will be and more importantly how noisy the building work is?....

A 10 screen cinema, up to 20 restaurants/cafe 2 promenades, a piazza, open autumn 2016.

No noise at night and you have a 50% chance of getting a room on the side of the hotel away from the building site!.

It is going to be a leisure centre with swimming pool and restaurants etc.

We stayed at the Premier Inn, West Quay for one night both before and after our cruise. The facilities are good, but on each occasion we were woken at around 2.00am by groups of girls returning to their rooms, slamming doors and shouting up and down the corridor to each other. This went on for a good half hour and after having been woken from a deep sleep, it took us ages to get back to sleep again.