Silversea considering including excursions?

WesW

Just got this questionnaire from SS:

Silversea is currently in the process of evaluating our Shore Excursion program. As a valued Venetian Society member, we would greatly appreciate your feedback. We ask that you please provide your input by Thursday, October 23.

When cruising with Silversea, how likely are you to reserve a Silversea Shore Excursion?

How likely are you to reserve a private, tailor-made tour thru the Silver Shore Concierge?

While visiting a port of call, how many Shore Excursions (Silversea or non-Silversea) do you typically take part in per day?

How likely would you be to partake in a Silversea Shore Excursion if a selection was included in your voyage?

Please share any additional comments you may have in the space below.

The expedition ships include shore excursions, of course, so this only applies to the bigger ships which tend to visit less remote ports of call. There is a big difference between calling at, say, St Lucia and Pitcairn Island. I tend to cruise on expedition ships and value the everything-included format, though on a bigger ship I'd like the freedom to choose my own excursions when calling at ports with some sort of tourist infrastructure.

If shore excursions were offered in small groups, let's say 10 or less. I would sign up for as many as we could handle per day. As its stands we refuse to board a bus with 40 passengers and stick a Whisper device in our ear. It just does not look good for a luxury cruise line stuffing buss full of guest like Celebrity does.

Including excursions means higher fares. For those of us who never take ships' excursions it's a deal breaker. Just as I never would sail with Regent agin because of included excursions I'd have to add SS to that list.

For my husband and me this would be a terrible development (were Silversea to include excursions in its cruise price). Inclusion of excursions was a major reason that we stopped cruising on Regent, and would never consider that cruiseline now even though we had happily cruised with them in the past. I would hate to have to eliminate Silversea from future cruising for the same reason. We always arrange for our own private tours, and that is an important part of the experience for us. I do not want to pay for excursions that we will not be using. Hopefully this will not happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Including excursions and upping the basic cost is a non starter unless SS wish to lose large numbers of loyal supporters who appear to prefer to do their own thing rather than go on organised excursions.Hope it does not happen!

• 4 weeks later...

I received a survey yesterday where they asked me to look at ads and rank items. All the ads had "shore excursions included" and seemed to have higher prices than a similar cruise this year. There was no place for me to note "but I DON'T WANT shore excursions included!"

Melissa

I received the same survey yesterday. Seems like the assumption was shore excursions included and they were just testing price points as there was never an option without shore excursions. Price points appeared to be much higher than current fares without excursions. Hope the decision has not already been made as that will be a deal breaker for us.

Why in the world would Silverseas copy Regent? In my experience with SS and SB regulars of these lines are quite independent travelers and would not like to pay for excursions they would be disinclined to take.

So my vote is a big NO.

It may be true that a good number of SS and SB travelers are quite independent and would not pay for excursions they'd be disinclined to take but they do not represent the majority of the people on any of the non-expedition cruises. I’d say that the majority get on the buses or get off the ship and walk around town. I don’t think Silversea would try this if they didn’t think Regent was making money on this scheme. There’s a reason that nearly all the domestic airlines have now jumped on the extra charges for legroom, early boarding, aisle seats etc. They do it because they can. I’ve had some of my best vacation experiences on Silversea cruises over the years but I realize that brand loyalty means very little to the bean counters in Monaco. If Silversea pulls this off you can bet Seabourn will follow suit shortly thereafter.

Did anyone receive a 5% discount coupon off a future cruise if you filled out the survey?

We echo many of the sentiments expressed here. With that said, as long as they offered an unbundled fare that didn't include the excursions, we aren't opposed to them trying to attract other cruise line customers with such a tactic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are currently on the Whisper down the Amazon cruise. We completed the survey, we are assured by the cruise rep it is a genuine offer, happy days another 5% off our next cruise.

On a different note, has anyone sailed during Xmas/New year please? We are thinking of next Xmas Mombasa to South Africa, would love to hear of your experience, thanks in advance.

We are currently on the Whisper down the Amazon cruise. We completed the survey, we are assured by the cruise rep it is a genuine offer, happy days another 5% off our next cruise.

Thx Fudge. Looks like I'll have to put a call into SS HQ. I completed the survey, but didn't receive the discount in a code at the end of the survey or via email. Guess I'll just have to chalk it up to typical SS IT.

Edited by Stumblefoot

I completed the survey as well, but didn't receive the discount code. Haven't done anything yet, because in the fine print it says you have to complete travel by dec 31 2015, and our travel calendar for next year is full, plus we have a big wedding to do.

I completed the survey as well, but didn't receive the discount code. Haven't done anything yet, because in the fine print it says you have to complete travel by dec 31 2015, and our travel calendar for next year is full, plus we have a big wedding to do.

Damn fine print. I didn't read it, just fell for the marketing line they wanted me to see, "5% off your next cruise".

On a different note, has anyone sailed during Xmas/New year please? We are thinking of next Xmas Mombasa to South Africa, would love to hear of your experience, thanks in advance.

Fudge, hate to highjack this thread, but to answer your question: yes have been on SB and SS voyages over Christmas and New Year’s. Both companies decorate their ships for the holidays and place gingerbread houses in some suites and a lot of guests hang a stocking or other decorations on their suite door. Typical Christmas and New Year dinners will be planned. On one voyage the Captain stayed in the bay till all the fireworks went off before continuing on the next port, what a great show that was. So come and join us on the Christmas voyage from Mombasa to Cape Town on the Cloud next year.

This week I was asked to fill in a survey (5% off next cruise! No discount code or anything...)

This survey had more to do with pricing but in it they showed to examples of Silversea adverts and on each one it had "Free Shore Excursions Included".

Hmmm.....

Fudge, hate to highjack this thread, but to answer your question: yes have been on SB and SS voyages over Christmas and New Year’s. Both companies decorate their ships for the holidays and place gingerbread houses in some suites and a lot of guests hang a stocking or other decorations on their suite door. Typical Christmas and New Year dinners will be planned. On one voyage the Captain stayed in the bay till all the fireworks went off before continuing on the next port, what a great show that was. So come and join us on the Christmas voyage from Mombasa to Cape Town on the Cloud next year.

Thank you for the information, my finger is on the "lets go for it button" :D

I would certainly be happy to complete the survey for a 5% discount, however I also echo the general sentiments on this thread. If excursions are included in the price then we will stop sailing with SS when our current bookings are complete.

Fudge, did you get the survey via your main contact email account?

Thx Fudge. Looks like I'll have to put a call into SS HQ. I completed the survey, but didn't receive the discount in a code at the end of the survey or via email. Guess I'll just have to chalk it up to typical SS IT.

Just wondering where it said the responder would receive a code. I completed the survey also, and didn't receive a code either at the end of the survey or as a follow-up afterwards.

"In appreciation for your feedback, we would like to extend you a special 5% future savings certificate for your next cruise with Silversea."

And the fine print read,

"Terms & Conditions: Offer is valid only on new bookings made by December 31, 2014 in any suite category. Voyage must commence by December 31, 2015. Offer applies to first two full fare guests in booking only. Savings offer is valid on all categories for eligible voyages. Offer is not combinable with any other promotion. Additional restrictions may apply. Visit Silversea.com for complete Terms and Conditions. Ships' registry: Bahamas"