Why do we eat that much in the cruise ?

mcatmcat

Hello everyone!! [emoji876]

I'm not here to criticize you [emoji1021]in case you eat a lot but I was wondering why people in a cruise eat that much[emoji488]. I mean I do it as well but I don't think I could ever eat that much food when I'm back in my city.[emoji539]I'm not overweight for my age/height[emoji963]🏼 I balance what I eat but I don't do a diet [emoji509]at home but once onboard I eat so much that I wonder if everybody else is the same [emoji1291][emoji1286][emoji1284][emoji1294][emoji1295]

So many reasons :)

1. Because it's there.
  2. I paid for it (and others have subsidized me).
  3. The food calls to me. By name. ("moopetguy...I'm here...come eat...")
  4. Somebody has to eat it. It isn't eating itself.
  5. I don't want it to go to waste.
  6. There would be fewer crew needed in the galley if I didn't eat so much. Those people deserve to have jobs!
  7. I like eating.
  8. I walk a lot while cruising (often using the stairs instead of the elevators), averaging about 12 kilometres (7.5 miles) per day. I end up gaining very little weight, if any at all.
  9. I don't have to pay extra money regardless of how much I eat in the WJ, MDR, and other included venues.
  10. I don't have to pay extra money to try something I've never tried before, so if I don't like it, I don't have to feel bad about paying for something I didn't like.
  11. Psychologically, it feels like I'm getting a good deal when I eat as much as I can for a fixed price!
  12. And lastly, I like eating.

:rolleyes::D;):)

I'm not here to criticize you [emoji1021]in case you eat a lot but I was wondering why people in a cruise eat that much[emoji488]. I mean I do it as well but I don't think I could ever eat that much food when I'm back in my city.[emoji539]I'm not overweight for my age/height[emoji963]🏼 I balance what I eat but I don't do a diet [emoji509]at home but once onboard I eat so much that I wonder if everybody else is the same [emoji1291][emoji1286][emoji1284][emoji1294][emoji1295]

This is a good piece of curiosity....

I seem to be much more active in a day on a cruise than at home.....seem to be busier doing things that take more energy and it simply means I am hungrier when I sit down for a meal, or want an in-between meal snack.

I don't have to prepare what I want to eat, so it is simply easier and I endulge and never seem to put on much weight at all (all those activities along with plenty of walking around the ship or even sitting in the sun).

I enjoy eating the foods I like to eat and try new ones as well.

I'm not here to criticize you [emoji1021]in case you eat a lot but I was wondering why people in a cruise eat that much[emoji488].

I'm wondering why the food is such a big subject. I've seen reports that are 90% about Lido food, MDR food, lobster day, pizzas, ice cream, Baked Alaskas, food in the cabin, gaining weight on a cruise, hors d'oeuvres, missing chocolate covered strawberries, chocolate covered strawberries to make up for that mistake, lectures that include a lunch, and during the occasional visit to an island: the best pizza place.

Cruiselines advertise seeing the world, relaxing, romance, swimming, sunsets, champagne, expensive shows. I wouldn't be surprised if a cruise to nowhere, with more restaurants, more cooking shows, more food would be a huge success :D

Thoughts....

• how much is this cruise going to cost me? I want value.
  • that food is going to waste.... need to clean off my plate.... as well as the buffet serving tray.
  • Need a big breakfast.... I'm going on an all day excursion and they are only give me a candy bar for lunch.
  • there is so much good stuff there.... I can't decide. I want to try it all. Main dining, speciality dining, buffet, cafe's.... room service? For what they charge in gratuities.... I want to meet all the crew.
  • when I leave the main dining room, I'm still feel hunger. The buffet is the cure to reload for that bedtime snack.
  • the average cruiser gains 1lb per cruise day. I want to be above average.
  • the Fitness deck talks about exercising..... I like to think about Extra-sizing to avoid injuries.
  • we can't let anorexia win!
  • there is a desire to fight world hunger. Let's start one mouthful at a time.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=i+beat+anorexia&tbm=isch

Edited by xlxo

The thing is, when you're at home and want to try something new, you have to either find a restaurant that serves it or check what ingredients you need, go shopping, figure out how to cook it, and make it yourself. If you want to try something new on a cruise, you just help yourself at the buffet. There's a wider selection than you'd ever get at home, prepared for you, so a random impulse to try something different can be indulged immediately.

Also since there's no separate charge for the food it feels 'free', even though a cruise costs way more than a restaurant.

Also since there's no separate charge for the food it feels 'free', even though a cruise costs way more than a restaurant.

I remember somebody posting something about the daily "food budget" that RCI has for each passenger. I don't remember the number or know how one could authoritatively quote this figure. But I'm pretty sure that all y'all are subsidizing my meals due to my appetite while cruising ;)

I'm wondering why the food is such a big subject. I've seen reports that are 90% about Lido food, MDR food, lobster day, pizzas, ice cream, Baked Alaskas, food in the cabin, gaining weight on a cruise, hors d'oeuvres, missing chocolate covered strawberries, chocolate covered strawberries to make up for that mistake, lectures that include a lunch, and during the occasional visit to an island: the best pizza place.

Cruiselines advertise seeing the world, relaxing, romance, swimming, sunsets, champagne, expensive shows. I wouldn't be surprised if a cruise to nowhere, with more restaurants, more cooking shows, more food would be a huge success :D

Just finished 18 night Valpo to Papeete cruise on Oceania Marina with 12 sea days. With the "best food at sea," cooking classes in an actual dedicated culinary center, no charge "truly specialty" restaurants and a passenger base that appreciates the quality of the journey, rest assured that what you suggest already exists.

Humans are built that way that if there is on offer different kind of foods, we eat more than when there is only one kind of food on offer, like it is most often the case at home. Humans do tend to eat more when offered more food.

And eating makes the stomack bigger and more able to store food, so that the next time we eat we will need to eat more the get the same sense of fullness.

Also at home those who are not overweight have learned to balance eating but on a cruise we are on holiday and and have a holiday feeling and find it harder to balance our eating.

And finally when humans eat more sugary food our blood sugar level goes up and down more rabidly and that makes us more hungry when the sugar level is low.

So basically if you start eating a lot it is harder to stop as long as defferent foods are available in abundance. It is just the same problems many people have at home, but on a cruise these problems are much worse and almost everyone faces them just because out body and mind is built that way since stoneage.

That being said there are people who dont have the graving for food as the rest of us, but those a not many. And Im definately not one of them.

To the OP's question "Why do we eat so much food on cruise ships?", I think the obvious answer is: Because it's there!:p

After all of these years, I have learned to exercise some restraint (I don't have to help myself to every cone of self-serve ice cream that I run across, etc.). That being said, vacations are most always a world of culinary temptations. On our last Pacific Coastal cruise, I was a little disappointed in the food on Celebrity Infinity. But, I more than made up for that, in our various ports -- starting with Scoma in San Francisco! ;)

I actually think I end up eating less.

At home I prepare three meals a day for three boys plus myself and my husband. It's very easy to 'graze'!

On cruises I enjoy eating in the restaurants and can only at a certain amount each meal. Since I'm not continually snacking whilst preparing meals I end up eating much less.

People tend to eat more on a cruise because the majority of the food is included in their cruise fare and they want to get their money's worth.

Us - first cruise we did eat a little more -- but back then there were all those buffets opened all day and night. 3 meals a day.

Now we watch what we eat -- just like we do at home. Once in a while we splurge on the ship for a couple of desserts we like. We don't eat desserts at home except for ice cream once in a while.

Mention needs to be made that being exposed to the sea and all its elements builds appetite. Meals served aboard a cruise ship also become a social function - much more so than when eating at home where eating tends to be a 'refueling' event. You'll eat more.

Meals served on a cruise ship don't require that we spend time in our kitchens. That fact can make even an ordinary meal taste terrific. You'll eat more.

Lastly, don't forget that on a cruise ship you'll have a staff serving you all that food and that someone else will be doing the clean up when you leave the table. You'll eat more.

All the above are part of what will make you want to come back for another cruise which is the foundation of the cruise business. So, "Would you like a little snack before retiring?".

I don't eat more "to get my money's worth." I don't binge.

But I do eat more because I didn't have to plan it, shop for it, or prepare it.

At home we don't do courses, but it sure is nice having all those various appetizers, soups, salads, the entree AND dessert!

Plus, I like trying new things.

Edited by srlafleur

I actually lost weight on my one and only cruise. I just don't like to gorge myself. I ate every dinner in the MDR, had a full meal(tried new things, had dessert) and was satisfied. Lunches were either the Lido or out at port. I find the idea of "I have to eat as much as I can because its there!" kinda gross. And the amount of waste I saw was sad.

Food isn't high on my list as to what I look forward to. Sun, shopping, fun, relaxation..those are what I look forward to!

Edited by BellaSweet

I don't eat more "to get my money's worth." I don't binge.

But I do eat more because I didn't have to plan it, shop for it, or prepare it.

At home we don't do courses, but it sure is nice having all those various appetizers, soups, salads, the entree AND dessert!

Plus, I like trying new things.

I find that we are doing more of lots of things that at home we would not be doing. We get in a lot of walking at home, but do so much more of all kinds of things that burn calories that we find ourselves hungry more. I can't eat more than my body needs....simply put.