Checking Out Your Life Boat Mates

SuitCaseBears

This may be an odd question - or I just may be very odd... but...

If you're in a safety drill where you go to your muster station with everyone else who'll be on your life boat if you ever need to abandon ship, do you check out your potential life boat mates?

I always look around to see who and how many people might need extra help, and who looks strong enough to help. I look around to see if there are people who look like they might step up and be helpful to the crew, or who might become one of those unofficial leaders who seem to emerge in emergencies.

I know you can't tell from just looking at people (I probably look like a little old lady who might need some help) and that even if you could, emergencies change people: ditzy people become focused and organized, pushy people hang back or visa versa.

But does anyone else study your potential life boat mates? Or did I just admit to something really really odd?

Don't know that it is odd or not, but not something I have ever done - or ever would do for that matter. I guess that will occur naturally should there ever be a situation that would arise, but I would also rely on the crew members to take control of any situation. Keep in mind each life boat also has crew on board for just that reason. And honestly I would prefer to follow the direction of the trained crew than to look to random passengers to take charge.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

If you're in a safety drill where you go to your muster station with everyone else who'll be on your life boat if you ever need to abandon ship, do you check out your potential life boat mates?..........

Not me.

If you're in a safety drill where you go to your muster station with everyone else who'll be on your life boat if you ever need to abandon ship, do you check out your potential life boat mates?

I always look around to see who and how many people might need extra help, and who looks strong enough to help. I look around to see if there are people who look like they might step up and be helpful to the crew, or who might become one of those unofficial leaders who seem to emerge in emergencies.

I know you can't tell from just looking at people (I probably look like a little old lady who might need some help) and that even if you could, emergencies change people: ditzy people become focused and organized, pushy people hang back or visa versa.

But does anyone else study your potential life boat mates? Or did I just admit to something really really odd?

At least it means that you are paying attention. I'd rather have fellow passengers "check out" one another than try to avoid the muster drill.

Interesting comments, OP.

I think the idle observations worthy and even appropriate. I can't say I've ever thought along those lines but I well could in the future.

Thought provoking subject.

To carry it forward a bit...... I wonder if the boat commanders at each station do something like you mention. Perhaps they size up the group to determine if there are some amongst us who could potentially be a help to crew in an emergency.

Edited by sail7seas

You really don't know who is going to be in your particular boat. When you get mustered to your station, at least on Princess you get seated by when you arrive. Should the need arise to go to the boats the staff direct you by row to the next available boat assigned to your muster station. I don't think your concept odd at all and agree that you have exceptional situational awarness. Something you learn very quickly in the army when deployed to somewhat hostile foreign lands.

You really don't know who is going to be in your particular boat. When you get mustered to your station, at least on Princess you get seated by when you arrive. Should the need arise to go to the boats the staff direct you by row to the next available boat assigned to your muster station. I don't think your concept odd at all and agree that you have exceptional situational awarness. Something you learn very quickly in the army when deployed to somewhat hostile foreign lands.

On HAL, we report to the lifeboat where we are assigned. We stand with those who would share the lifeboat with us in an emergency, presuming we all were put into our assigned boat and were able to assemble where assigned in an emergency. We see exactly who is supposed to be in our boat.

I check things out, usually how many people are in wheelchairs or those little scooters, knowing they will need extra assistance, also the number of families in my group. Being a single male means I'm gonna be given least priority so I just like to know how many people are ahead of me.

Interesting post. I have always felt that it would be necessary for some of the passengers to step forward to offer help/support to the assigned boat crew. I'm not sure how many actually qualified seamen are in a modern cruise ship's deck department - I'm sure a qualified coxswain would be assigned to each boat, but any additional crew members in each boat might well be waiters or bar tenders.

You are better off with a lifeboard with lots of old and feeble people on it as they are easier to push aside so that you get a better spot.

Seriously - I figure that it is extremely unlikely that we will have to abandon ship and if we do and the line is not the Costa cruise line, the crew will be able to handle it.

DON

I have never done this, but I most certainly will now. It's really a good idea, because as large as the lifeboats are now, you can bet the one crew member isn't going to be able to do everything all at once. They'll need help. I'm a very level-headed person in emergencies, and can usually tell who's going to help and who's going to hinder. But, never really thought about it with the muster drill. Interesting!

Oh, and to the cannibal people... I'm chubby. I may be able to provide you with a lot of meals, but just know... this is one dinner that's gonna fight back. LOL!!! :D:D

Interesting post. I have always felt that it would be necessary for some of the passengers to step forward to offer help/support to the assigned boat crew. I'm not sure how many actually qualified seamen are in a modern cruise ship's deck department - I'm sure a qualified coxswain would be assigned to each boat, but any additional crew members in each boat might well be waiters or bar tenders.

I have nothing factual to dispute this other than to say that the lifeboats plus assigned lead crew are exclusive to the passengers use. The general crew would use the life rafts that are in the large white canisters around the ship. Based on that I would think that each crew assigned to the lifeboats would be more staff-type v. service crew. Keep in mind there are only about 20 -30 lifeboats (depending on ship) - I would think there would be enough "qualified" staff to man those with the passengers.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

You are better off with a lifeboard with lots of old and feeble people on it as they are easier to push aside so that you get a better spot.

Seriously - I figure that it is extremely unlikely that we will have to abandon ship and if we do and the line is not the Costa cruise line, the crew will be able to handle it.

DON

Oh, Don, only you could come up with that funny comment! :D

Seriously, on Princess and some other cruise lines we go to our muster stations but have no idea of exactly which lifeboat we'll be assigned.

LuLu

~~~~

I have to admit we have checked out some our potential life boat mates in the past. But only the ones who are already sloshed by Muster Drill time because these ones will surely be totally useless if there was an actual emergency on the cruise. But after Luddite's post I'm now thinking these drunkards might be useful after all - Human Kobe beef anyone?:D

The OP posed an interesting question. While I've not specifically "checked out" my fellow muster-drill attendees, we did have something interesting happen along these lines, a few years ago.

We were on the gang-way, at embarkation. Ahead of us was a petite female crew member, pushing a large man in a wheelchair. She got stuck at the top of the ramp, and the wheelchair started to slip backwards. A tall, strong-looking passenger near us saw what was happening -- and jumped forward to assist the poor girl and the helpless, frightened, wheelchair occupant. Later that day, we ran into the Good Samaritan at the muster drill. I told him that, if anything happened, we wanted him in our lifeboat! :cool:;)

I have nothing factual to dispute this other than to say that the lifeboats plus assigned lead crew are exclusive to the passengers use. The general crew would use the life rafts that are in the large white canisters around the ship. Based on that I would think that each crew assigned to the lifeboats would be more staff-type v. service crew. Keep in mind there are only about 20 -30 lifeboats (depending on ship) - I would think there would be enough "qualified" staff to man those with the passengers.

20-30 lifeboats would require 20-30 qualified coxswains to have one per boat. To have any more than that would require the ship to carry 40-60 qualified boat handlers --- are you kidding?

Capt bj - I have one of those in java green!

As for the mustard drill; I take note of the tall loud obnoxious ones who won't make room or quiet down so I can see or hear what is going on. I take note of their leg length so I can run through them and be first to the life boat.

Cheers, h.