Confusing cruise line - who is their target customer?

conwakr

Recently returned from an Infinity cruise and my first cruise with Celebrity. I was under the impression that their marketing position was "modern", "healthy", spa-ambiance, clean architecture and decor. Perhaps I was wrong going in but I couldn't help but continue to think this is a cruise line in need of a better marketing plan or they need to change up some things onboard. I never could figure out what I thought about the cruise. It's a nice ship, but not as cohesively elegant and clean as the Princess ships at what amounts to the same price point. I wouldn't call the decor "modern" in the interior spaces as I could have been on any ship it bounced around from modern to English pub to French provincial. The food was mediocre at best and definitely mainstream and more meat and potatoes than modern cuisine. The SS United States was good food, but I wouldn't call it "modern" food either with heavier sauces etc. QSine was great and fun and felt modern and one of the funner things about the Infinity. The spa, gym and pool areas felt "modern" clean and consistent with what I expected, but the entertainment not so much. I'm really unclear about who their customer really is. There were several missed marketing opportunities that had nothing to do with ambiance on our cruise as it was their 100th crossing through the Panama canal with nary a mention until a printed certificate the last night. The cruise was good as all cruises generally are and the staff was outstanding, but I guess I'm not their target market. I might try Celebrity again if an itinerary intrigues me but as a marketer I'm left with the impression they need a new marketing plan and I certainly couldn't tell you who their target audience really is. I really "loved" the concept of a modern experience so perhaps I went in with too many expectations about the decor, the food, the entertainment and the experience in general.

I think their marketing, as is the marketing of several other cruise lines, is now in several tiers. If you would like a standard cabin, they have some nice deals and the ship, for what you pay, is several cuts above some other cruise lines. Should you want to spend more, you could go Aqua Class or in a Sky Suite and have your own private restaurant and, in the case of Aqua, access to the spa. Both also have nicer amenities in the cabins. For those willing to spend the most, suites also have better amenities, butlers, a private restaurant, Michael's Club, etc. In other words, depending on your spending level, "X" offers different attractions. This is rather similar to Cunard who still has three levels of cruising, Basic, Princess Grill and Queen's Grill with separate dining and lounges. Several other cruise lines have entirely separate areas of the ship for those willing to spend more.

This seems to be the way some of the upper-level cruise lines are headed. Your most basic cruise lines, such as Carnival, have pretty much one audience. And the luxury lines such as Regent, Sliver Seas and Crystal, really have only one type of customer they are looking to attract.

I would not put the experience the same as Regents at any level of cabin. But regardless if you were in a suite or in concierge like we were which is really just a standard veranda room with a big deck or a standard cabin, the entire experience was somewhat discordant, enjoyable of course, but discordant. Perhaps RC is the flagship line and Celebrity is one step down. I haven't been on RC since the early 90s so can't compare but I had a 2-week cruise to ponder this. Celebrity is still a good value for the dollar.

Maybe the Solstice class of Celebrity ships would suit you better. Infinity is one of the older ships.

Appreciate and agree with this above viewpoint for trying one of the Solstice-class ships. We have done two different cruises on the Solstice. Very impressed with its "style", look, design, offerings, etc. See below for two different postings that have lots of visuals from the Solstice and reflecting its design and offerings. Below are just three of my visual samples from this ship that we enjoyed very much to illustrate exactly why we have offered that viewpoint.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a “Solstice: Visuals, Highlights Shared!” summary from two different adventures on this ship with many pictures and other details on its many options. This includes our recent Australia to New Zealand sailing. Check it out, including these recent updates, at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1803477

Now at 30,315 views for this posting.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 106,467 views for this posting.

On the top, back of the Solstice, here is a wider view of Corning Hot Glass show area, plus the green grass and the unique covering designs for this special area of the ship. Classy design touches and style!!:

SolsticeGlassGrassBack.jpg

The Solarium was one of our most favorite areas. Food and drinks were nearby and it was very relaxed and sophisticated. Quieter, too, as it is an adults-only area. Two hot tubs here. Not crowded, especially in the evenings. Nice art and design with this facility. Wonderful setting for relaxing and watching the outside water/shore views, enjoying subtle inside action, etc.:

SolsticeSolariumSunnyDay.jpg

Here is a photo highlight from our ship's production show called "Ghostlight--The Spirit of Broadway". Lots of great tunes, including many from the Four Seasons as done on Broadway with Jersey Boys. Nice lighting, staging, sets, etc.

SolsticeShows17_zps45d5d28d.jpg

IMHO The "modern" fits the decor and feeling of the S class ships.

Has "modern luxury" ever been defined? I don't believe that many think of Celebrity as a luxury cruise line like crystal or regent....it's a mass market cruise line (IMHO, it's the best mass market cruise line)...and I have no clue what "modern" means in this context.

Irrespective.....when a passenger leaves a cruise thinking that the product doesn't match the perception delivered in the advertising...that's a BIG problem.

Edited by ghstudio

Recently returned from an Infinity cruise and my first cruise with Celebrity. I was under the impression that their marketing position was "modern", "healthy", spa-ambiance, clean architecture and decor. Perhaps I was wrong going in but I couldn't help but continue to think this is a cruise line in need of a better marketing plan or they need to change up some things onboard. I never could figure out what I thought about the cruise. It's a nice ship, but not as cohesively elegant and clean as the Princess ships at what amounts to the same price point. I wouldn't call the decor "modern" in the interior spaces as I could have been on any ship it bounced around from modern to English pub to French provincial. The food was mediocre at best and definitely mainstream and more meat and potatoes than modern cuisine. The SS United States was good food, but I wouldn't call it "modern" food either with heavier sauces etc. QSine was great and fun and felt modern and one of the funner things about the Infinity. The spa, gym and pool areas felt "modern" clean and consistent with what I expected, but the entertainment not so much. I'm really unclear about who their customer really is. There were several missed marketing opportunities that had nothing to do with ambiance on our cruise as it was their 100th crossing through the Panama canal with nary a mention until a printed certificate the last night. The cruise was good as all cruises generally are and the staff was outstanding, but I guess I'm not their target market. I might try Celebrity again if an itinerary intrigues me but as a marketer I'm left with the impression they need a new marketing plan and I certainly couldn't tell you who their target audience really is. I really "loved" the concept of a modern experience so perhaps I went in with too many expectations about the decor, the food, the entertainment and the experience in general.

Many cruise reviews include subjective elements, such as food.

We have been on four Infinity cruises as well as three other X ships. Also, we have cruised on NCL.

We compare notes with a lot of cruisers and Princess and HAL seem to be on the same level as X, however, most rate X higher on food.

Travel and Leisure mag rated them in the top twelve:

Celebrity Cruises: Best Dining Rooms

5 of 12

The Experience: Beyond their excellent cuisine, the most visually stunning dining rooms on

the high seas are on the Solstice and Equinox. The dramatic, soaring spaces both

feature two-deck glass wine towers designed by Adam Tihany (whose land-based work includes Le Cirque, in New York

City).

Favorite Dishes: Roasted California quail with wild rice and black truffle stuffing;

signature mozzarella-filled meatballs over linguine with marinara sauce; crème

brûlée.

Only Carnival made the top 12 of the mainstream cruise lines (the others were the next level up on price).

Infinity is not as modern as other ships that we have cruised on, but we prefer the smaller ship, regardless of age. We did not care for the NCL Epic, which carried twice the passengers.

Regarding meat and potatoes, we have found a good variety on X. In fact, we don't eat beef a lot.

The atmosphere on Celebrity more civilized than NCL and Carnival and we like that.

IMO it's hard to target one specific demographic when you market 5-7 night voyages to the Caribbean on the one hand, and a 17-night Transpacific that skirts Northern Russia to Alaska on the other hand. Two entirely different markets.

Has "modern luxury" ever been defined? I don't believe that many think of Celebrity as a luxury cruise line like crystal or regent....it's a mass market cruise line (IMHO, it's the best mass market cruise line)...and I have no clue what "modern" means in this context. Irrespective.....when a passenger leaves a cruise thinking that the product doesn't match the perception delivered in the advertising...that's a BIG problem.

4774Papa: Travel and Leisure mag rated them in the top twelve: Celebrity Cruises: Best Dining Rooms

The Experience: Beyond their excellent cuisine' date=' the most visually stunning dining rooms on

the high seas are on the Solstice and Equinox. The dramatic, soaring spaces both feature two-deck glass wine towers designed by Adam Tihany (whose land-based work includes Le Cirque, in New York

City).

Infinity is not as modern as other ships that we have cruised on, but we prefer the smaller ship, regardless of age. We did not care for the NCL Epic, which carried twice the passengers.

The [b']atmosphere on Celebrity more civilized than NCL and Carnival [/b]and we like that.

BEAV: IMO it's hard to target one specific demographic when you market 5-7 night voyages to the Caribbean on the one hand' date=' and a 17-night Transpacific that skirts Northern Russia to Alaska on the other hand. [b']Two entirely different markets[/b].

Appreciate these above, wise comments from the three experienced travelers and earlier posters. Yes, marketing has some "hype", but Celebrity has some elements of truth in the "Modern Luxury" theme message. They are more "hip" and less traditional than most Holland America ships. They are more refined and "luxury" than with Carnival and RCL, etc.

BUT, having done cruises with Silversea, Crystal and Seabourn, there is no way that Celebrity is as "luxury", custom and personal as you would get the higher-end and much more costly cruise lines. Overall, Celebrity offers a wide range of locations and ports, plus a "good value", maybe, with its options. It is always hard to "generalize" on areas than can be highly and/or somewhat subjective. That includes food!!

Trade-offs and options?? Yes, it is all true.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 198,372 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I never could figure out what I thought about the cruise.

:confused:

on our cruise as it was their 100th crossing through the Panama canal with nary a mention until a printed certificate the last night

Oh dear, that can really make or break a cruise...

as a marketer I'm left with the impression they need a new marketing plan and I certainly couldn't tell you who their target audience really is.

As a marketer you should know, with much more elegant insight than the rest of us, because you sailed with their customers... a ship full. If people watching isn't your thing, there's plenty of opportunity to ask table mates and what not as a 2nd nature given your profession. Marketing is not the same as a product review, you can dislike Starbucks coffee all day, but that does not diminish their marketing or customer base.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

Has "modern luxury" ever been defined?

A Celebrity ad from the April issue of T&L:

"It was another perfect sunset in Florence, and I thought to myself: remember this.

Remember finding the liquid form of relaxation in the ship's Solarium. How every bite in every restaurant on board redefined the word delicious. And, discovering that a Celebrity vacation can truly transport you to the past--in a very modern way.

It's funny; I don't remember a single thing from our Celebrity cruise--I remember everything.

Celebrity Cruises. That's modern luxury."

And and ad from the May issue of T&L:

"In Europe, I fell in love with the art, food, and architecture--before I even stepped off the ship.

DIscover our expansive collection of modern art, the perfect complement to the classic beauty of the Old World. Up to 12 distinctive restaurants, where each menu is crafted by our James Beard-featured chef. And, contemporary architecture that creates coolly, sophisticated spaces perfect for kicking up your heels--or just kicking back.

That's modern luxury."

So there ya go- modern luxury as defined by X themselves. ;)

Well,that's simply marketing buzzwords. Yes, there is lovely artwork on board. Yes, the S class ships are beautiful. BUT, One main reason people cruise is for the food, and that, dear friends, has definitely taken a back seat over the last 2 years. We dined in the MDR on Equinox last month, our first time dining outside Blu in 4 years. It will be our last time. Service and quality of protein was very substandard to the definition of "modern luxury". We are fortunate that we can book Veranda or Suite cabins on X, but we expect service and food equal to what we are billed for. Celebrity is not delivering. X is still a mass market cruise line that in no way can compete against the true "modern luxury" lines such as Oceania or Regent. We have one more cruise booked for next month. After that we are going back to Princess for 2016 along with Oceania again. Partly itinerary driven but also driven by the superior food on both lines compared to X. Let the flames begin. :(

Well,that's simply marketing buzzwords. Yes, there is lovely artwork on board. Yes, the S class ships are beautiful. BUT, One main reason people cruise is for the food, and that, dear friends, has definitely taken a back seat over the last 2 years. We dined in the MDR on Equinox last month, our first time dining outside Blu in 4 years. It will be our last time. Service and quality of protein was very substandard to the definition of "modern luxury". We are fortunate that we can book Veranda or Suite cabins on X, but we expect service and food equal to what we are billed for. Celebrity is not delivering. X is still a mass market cruise line that in no way can compete against the true "modern luxury" lines such as Oceania or Regent. We have one more cruise booked for next month. After that we are going back to Princess for 2016 along with Oceania again. Partly itinerary driven but also driven by the superior food on both lines compared to X. Let the flames begin. :(

Oh I agree. It's just buzz words. Kind of like when Royal says "Prepare to be WOWed." Some will be wowed, some won't. Some will feel like they are experiencing modern luxury, some won't. It's buzz words and it's subjective, and it's all just marketing hype.

Celebrity is not now, nor has it ever been, a true luxury cruise line. It is, as you say, a mass market line. To say they deliver "modern luxury" is not akin to saying "we are a luxury line" IMO.

IMO, Celebrity is not luxury - modern or otherwise. I used to sail X exclusively but stopped several years ago after seeing and experiencing the gradual loss of the quality Celebrity was known for at one point in time.....

Claudia

IMHO, the newer S class ships do have the feel of Modern Luxury. I agree that you need to try one of them before deciding. Celebrity appeals to people 50 and older who like the quieter, more peaceful ambiance, but I think Celebrity is trying to reach a broader spectrum of younger folks, who want a little more elegance in their cruises. And everyone wants all of this at a reasonable price. Celebrity may be trying too hard to please everyone and, therefore, runs the risk of pleasing no one.

IMO it's hard to target one specific demographic when you market 5-7 night voyages to the Caribbean on the one hand, and a 17-night Transpacific that skirts Northern Russia to Alaska on the other hand. Two entirely different markets.

Agree with the above ... makes marketing difficult!

LuLu

In 25 years we have yet to ever book a cruise because of the pitch of the advertising dept in a commercial or ad. We have sailed on 7 diff lines, and yes a couple were very so-so. The on ship product and experience as to how 'we' feel it is, is all that matters. As long as we like it.

i suppose that its all subjective. compared to some of the lines i've cruised celebrity does feel modern

Ok the entertainment can be aimed at an older group than me but i've always had a great time

I'm sorry for the OP that it didn't meet their needs but i'm struggling to understand what you class as modern

maybe it's 'younger' or 'luxurious' which are all different things but I think we get what we pay for

I'm not sure why you would feel sorry for me. I just came back from a long cruise that I enjoyed. Mostly I was questioning this line because it just wasn't what I expected and I've not encountered that feelings with other cruises...and I've pointed out the inconsistencies that were part of my experience. Decor, ambiance, food, etc. didn't match what I thought I'd see, feel, eat. Doesn't mean things were bad... I don't believe there can ever be a "bad cruise" so no need to feel sorry.

I'm not sure why you would feel sorry for me. I just came back from a long cruise that I enjoyed. Mostly I was questioning this line because it just wasn't what I expected and I've not encountered that feelings with other cruises...and I've pointed out the inconsistencies that were part of my experience. Decor, ambiance, food, etc. didn't match what I thought I'd see, feel, eat. Doesn't mean things were bad... I don't believe there can ever be a "bad cruise" so no need to feel sorry.

Thanks for your review! I certainly appreciate your feedback. Like others have said, "Modern Luxury" is simply marketing buzz. What one person feels is luxurious, others won't. We actually stepped down from the true luxury brands because we prefer the ambiance and diversity of the Celebrity ships. If you were hoping for "modern" and "luxurious", the Solstice Class ships would have better met your expectation, because they are truly spectacular ships. We do sail the Millennium Class of ships for itinerary, but they are a little underwhelming.

Michael

I would say that modern is anything that you want it to be. You can make it as luxurious, informal, expensive, cheap, causual, or anything you want.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞