Why do we eat that much in the cruise ?

mcatmcat

We both gain weight on a cruise , maybe 1/4 lb. a day. 12 days 3 lbs. not a big deal. I like eating different things we never get or make at home. We know how to lose it guaranteed in about 2-3 weeks. The only time we ever eat breakfast meat like bacon, ham is on the cruises. Smoked salmon almost every morning. The breakfast and lunches are more enjoyable for us many times than dinner. I'm usually not truly hungry by dinner time . The eating is half the fun of the cruises for us. We go back to total self control back home.

I never snack on a ship. While meals are several courses, they are usually portions that aren't too big.

Additionally we take the stairs EVERYWHERE when we are on the ship (unless I am in heels:D)

Have never gained a pound on any cruise! (and I still get to enjoy those wonderful meals!)

I never snack on a ship. While meals are several courses, they are usually portions that aren't too big.

Additionally we take the stairs EVERYWHERE when we are on the ship (unless I am in heels:D)

Have never gained a pound on any cruise! (and I still get to enjoy those wonderful meals!)

I can't say I don't snack on a ship, because that would be a lie. As you say the portions are not huge even though there are several courses and that is just fine. A shrimp cocktail to start along with an ending of ice cream and chocolate chip cookies to be complimented by an entree sounds just great to me...throw in a little salad (I don't indulge in the bread) and I have had a very nice meal.

But a little mid day snack or evening snack works also.....some fruit salad or decadent dessert that I would not allow myself at home, isn't bad....lets face it....I am doing a lot more moving around that I do at home or at work....so it all gets 'worked off'/

We actually try not to eat more. We do two meals a day - do room service for breakfast and the MDR for dinner. But we do eat ice cream more often for dessert then we do at home and drink more... so it is not easy even when you try not to over do it.

I enjoy trying new food and enjoying a dessert once in a while while cruising. We walk a lot so I don't gain.

I have struggled with weight issues and worked hard to think about what food means to me; how I feel physically and emotionally when I eat.

We sail on Princess and I like their food selections very much. But, I never feel as though I should eat a lot just because I PAID FOR IT.

That said, please don't flame me here as it is only my opinion and not put out there to insult....I am floored by the amount of food some folks heap on their plates in the Horizon Court. Really, take normal portions, if still hungry, go back and get a little more.

On our last Caribbean cruise we were amazed at how much some people ate and how large many of the people were. We can understand how they got to be that big by watching some of them eat. And eat. The food really was not that great.

I think that it explains a lot of health and physical problems that some people seem to have.

Edited by iancal

I've never had this problem. In fact I always lose a few pounds on a cruise from all the extra walking and stairs. I eat slow and I just don't over eat and don't snack when I'm not hungry. DH on the other hand wants to get his money's worth since he paid for it. He grew up in a home with 4 older brothers and 2 older sisters and a parents on a tight budget. He eats fast because when he was growing up it was eat fast or not eat. Because he eats so fast he doesn't give his brain time to catch up with his stomach when he is full...so he ends up over-stuffed when done eating. He always gains a few more pounds than I lost.

I call it the "attractive nuisance." Some people just can't avoid all the food that is easily available. In the MDR, if you want two entrees, you can get two entrees. In the buffets, I am many times just nauseated when I see people loading up their plates as if they are getting their last meal on Earth. I am disgusted when I see all that food that was piled on the plates going into the trash can. Too tired to walk to a food outlet onboard, just pick up the phone and call Room Service for all that you want. Like someone else mentioned, I do seem to see more obese people on cruises than other vacations I take.

It is definitely an issue, but not limited to cruises. Look at a hotel that has a breakfast buffet and see all that food piled on plates. The all-inclusive resorts with the endless supply of food.

Food on a cruise is not a high point nor an important point for me. I'll grab a coffee and some granola and yogurt (or steel-cut oats if available), just like I have at home, for breakfast. I'll eat lunch off ship or, if a sea day, make myself a salad in the buffet. I'll eat dinner off ship if possible, or I'll most likely do a salad in the buffet or pick a specialty restaurant where I can have a good meatless meal that isn't all carbs (pasta is a sad vegetarian entree every night).

My spouse mentioned to me once when we were lined up at the buffet that it is no wonder America spends more per capita on healthcare than any other nation and yet has health outcomes not too dissimilar to Costa Rica.

You just have to look at the size, appetite, and food selection of the people in the buffet line and then it makes sense.

My spouse mentioned to me once when we were lined up at the buffet that it is no wonder America spends more per capita on healthcare than any other nation and yet has health outcomes not too dissimilar to Costa Rica.

You just have to look at the size, appetite, and food selection of the people in the buffet line and then it makes sense.

Funny, I have seen people in the buffet with loaded plates & are larger in size...I have NO idea what nationality they are!

We have dined with those from other nationalities who were large & enjoying large portions...

And I'm guessing many of us Americans eating at the buffet are not large in size, nor feel the need to pile it onto our plates.

I am not denying that some Americans need to learn to make better choices, but it certainly is not limited to Americans!

Edited by KKB

I am not denying that some Americans need to learn to make better choices, but it certainly is not limited to Americans!

And it's not a bad thing to not make wise choices once in a while.....and once in a while is all we can tell from seeing some people on a cruise. Perhaps they make wise choices 350 days a year, but enjoy a blow out on their birthday/vacation/visit with parents/whatever.

I wonder why some people feel the need to judge others and answer OP's questions for complete strangers (without knowing them based solely on what they observe) rather than just answering OP's question as it pertains to themselves as I believe it was intended??:confused:

Funny, I have seen people in the buffet with loaded plates & are larger in size...I have NO idea what nationality they are!
If the buffet line is incredibly long... one technique is to grab more than one plate in your arm and load up. This is more efficient as you don't need to line up a second time to fight hunger. A little tricker when the seas are rough.

[YOUTUBE]qjfSCyO5x_k[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

The civilized way to serve yourself at a buffet or braving a feeding frenzy as on some ships is to choose one course at a time - using a fresh plate for each course (exactly the same way your dinner will be served). Plopping a four course meal sky high on a single plate looks unsightly at best. You might just as well skip the plate and bring a bucket. Going back for seconds or thirds with your dirty plate or bucket is unacceptable and frankly unsanitary. It's getting hard to keep one weight over three hundred pounds on cruise ships these days.

Interesting topic. Thanks OP!

So, myself - well, I think the reason I eat so much on a cruise is that it is right there in front of my face and it all looks SO GOOD! I admit I find buffets a bit of a challenge, so I try as much as I can to do MDR for evening meals, and if I have a starter, it is likely I wouldn't have a dessert.

Thing is, at home I can tell what day it is by what I am eating... and every morning its porridge for breakfast - soup or salad for lunch........ and is so boring! I have no imagination at all when it comes to cookery (or even thinking about what I want my husband to cook)

So, all these lovely things and their siren call - yes I do over-indulge.

I am always amused at adverts for cruises - all these glamorous people who know how to hold a champagne flute, smoothly making small talk with the captain before taking to the floor for an elegant foxtrot - yeah right!!!

they should show that person with the "I love Maui 2004" T-shirt waiting line for a plate of ribs! (that person does not exist in reality - I made her up!)

I don't overeat on a cruise just as I don't overeat at home. I make healthful food choices, largely plant-based, in sensible portions. I drink plain ice water, eschew most desserts and alcohol and don't consider eating an event.

I also power walk on deck, swim, and never use an elevator. I have never gained weight on a cruise but generally lose a pound or two as I find most of the food offerings not very good.

Yes, there are slim Americans - my husband and I have always been two of them.

Edited by Bookish Angel

Probably the same reasons I eat way too much at Disney World when I'm on the meal plan. I want to get my money's worth, the food is delicious, and lots of physical activity (walking, swimming, etc.) makes me ravenous! Plus, I feel like I'm treating myself because I'm on vacation. :D

We used to. Not so much any more.

Plus, the quality and taste of the food on most cruise lines has decreased.

I would have to agree with the quality and taste of food decreasing. Back when things were super yummy, I would certainly indulge in trying things (and having more of those things). Now there isn't as much I really want to try.

I will usually have a bite of whatever is touted as the "must have" item on a ship. Never really understood the "honey stung chicken" that was the perennial favorite on Royal. Haven't been on Carnival, but would definitely try the chocolate melting cake since it seems to be one of the things you "must try." I will generally try something new, but I only get a small taste of it- just in case I don't like it. If I like it, I will have more later.

When we sailed on Solstice a few years ago, their Eggs Benedict in the Oceaniew Café was very good (I am sure they probably served it in the MDR as well, but didn't happen to go there). I would have a couple of them each morning.

I will definitely eat more of the things I really enjoy. I won't eat something just because it's there.

I always have the best intentions of eating healthier on a cruise, and each cruise, I do ok for the first three days, and then I break down and start eating WCMC, :p and I'm done for.

I too noticed on our last cruise, very large people, who almost perched at the buffet for the day. I am overweight, I know that I need to lose weight, and I shouldn't judge, BUT!!!!! when these ships were built the average overweight person wasn't over 300 pounds, and how are we all going to fit in the life boats? now??