canada new england cruises?

58Piano

We have taken a Canada New England voyage and really enjoyed it.

The foliage was beautiful and it was fun to explore the various ports. We especially liked Boston and walking the Freedom Trail.

Seeing the Statue of Liberty in NY was a highlight too.

Edited by Shelly97060

We've done a couple of these and will be doing another in October. As you may have guessed the weather is usually colder. It can range between lovely fall days to freezing temperatures during the night but if you love beautiful scenery, you'll love this cruise. Princess has one that goes form Quebec to Fort Lauderdale so you would only have to fly one way and see some really lovely American Colonial cities. I love these cruises.

We are from Florida also. We are schedule to take the New England/Canada cruise in October. Most of our cruises have been to the Caribbean too but I have never seen leaves change. So we are going for it based on members saying it is beautiful.

We did the Quebec City to NYC cruise a few years ago and enjoyed it. It was our first time in Quebec but not Canada and I would recommend going a few days in advance to see the sights of the old city. We learned a lot of Canadian and US history at the various ports of call which was quite educational. We had been to Boston many times on land trips so we just visited the tourist area this time but if you have not been, our US history was very strong here and well worth the visit. The best part of all though was sailing into NYC past the Statue of Liberty all lighted because it was in the wee morning hours. We got some excellent pictures. As other have said though that the cruise is cool if not down right cold. Dress warmly is the order of the day.

I echo the beautiful, diverse scenery of a fall Canada/New England cruise. A big difference with these cruises compared to what you experience with a Caribbean cruise is that it will not be a different beach at each port. The ports of call on these cruises have a great deal to offer and are have a lot of history to offer, too. Also, few of these ports have Diamonds International, etc. stores for shopping. There is shopping but not like what you find on the Islands.

One caveat on this cruise is that the port of Bar Harbor, ME is a tender port and sometimes is missed due to the high seas and wind present making tendering too dangerous. My cruise we had a sea day instead.

Newport, RI is also a tender port but it was not on our itinerary.

We've taken two cruises to Canada/New England. Our first was round trip from New York City. Sailing past the Statue of Liberty was special. The second was on a HAL ship that went from Quebec to Boston. It was also an enjoyable cruise. That one was in May. The first one was in October. It had been a warm fall that year, though, and we did not see many trees changing color.

We live in Florida. So we have only done carribbean cruises. Never see hardly any post about canada new england cruises. What are they like?

We took our first New England cruise last October and had a great time. So much so that we booked another New England cruise for October. Looking forward to this as we will be doing different excursions. If you go to the Princess website, there's plenty of info there, or search on CC and you will find lots of info.

We're booked on the Oct. 4 Crown Princess cruise from Quebec to NYC -- because it has a terrific itinerary that visits many ports in Quebec and the Eastern Provinces, including St. John NB [for the dramatic tides of the Bay of Fundy]. That is another port that is often skipped because of weather or tides, but most other cruises don't even schedule it so it seemed worth a flyer.

Keep in mind that the colors you see will depend on how far north you are and when; when we were in Saint John 10/16 it was just about peak and NYC was still approaching peak. In my experience last year was running a little late. But if you are cruising in September or early October the colors may not be vivid.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did the repositioning cruise from Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale a few years ago and had a great time. I don't know where the OP lives in Florida but we really appreciated flying only one way and having a 20 minute drive home from Port Everglades!

We live in Florida. So we have only done carribbean cruises. Never see hardly any post about canada new england cruises. What are they like?

We have done three. Two with Princess and one with Royal Caribbean out of Baltimore. Each has been very enjoyable. As others have mentioned, the weather can be chilly or delightful. You may want to look into the Quebec to Florida repositioning. It has some excellent ports and will leave you back in Florida. Spend a few days in Canada,

I love this area and think the cruises are great. Very different than the Caribbean. I have done 2 of them. They are much busier than going to a beach.

Bar Harbor is going to convert the ferry terminal/pier into a cruise ship pier. Not sure when this will be done but in the future, this will be great help.

I think you don't hear much about these is because the season is so short. I think HAL has a longer season.

Heading off on the Crown on 9/24 New York to Quebec. This is the first cruise with both my sisters (usually it's been one or the other) and we are looking forward to all that has been mentioned and so much more.

The Basic Plan:

New York - Statue of Liberty, 911 Memorial, a Broadway show, Top of the Rock.

Newport - The Mansions, well one of them, the view, lunch (a favorite of mine).

Boston - The Freedom Trail, probably not all of it or in any order as we are easily sidetracked.

Bar Harbor - Private tour of Acadia National Park, lobster lunch.

Saint John and Halifax - we're playing it by ear, as my Dad used to say. We will see what we see.

Sydney - Cruise tour out to the Fortress of Louisbourg National Historical Site. No cruise is complete without getting on a big bus for a few hours with a bunch of people you don't know. I personally like these tours. I do all the planning on our cruises and it's nice to leave it all to someone else at least once.

Charlottetown - Private tour of the island with stops at the "Anne of Green Gables" house and museum.

Quebec City - Another place we will be "playing it by ear".

There is so, so much more to see and do. If I've learned anything travelling is that you can't do it all. Just not enough time and often, not enough money. I like a combination of private tours, big bus tours and just walking around looking at the sites. Lunch and shopping are always on the list.

Hoping to see some fall colors. According to what I read it depends on the weather, so maybe by the time we get to Quebec.

Sorry to run on. 89 days and counting and I'm a little excited.