Update from Queen Mary 2

FLcruiser2011

I am so sorry to read this awful news. I am puzzled though, how can anyone just 'fall off' a cruise ship as the media are reporting?

They can't. Whenever there are reports of a crewmember or passenger falling off a ship I know its only one of three things. Foul play, silly play (like passengers jumping from balcony to balcony) or self-induced. The media tends not to announce exact details. One simply cannot slip and fall off a deck on a cruise ship.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33951198

The Cunard spokeswoman said: "A search was carried out for a missing crew member on Queen Mary 2. It has been clearly established that the crew member went overboard."

It can't be published what exactly happened until there's been an inquest.

If you read Cap'nPugwash's blog, there is a bit more information there.

They can't. Whenever there are reports of a crewmember or passenger falling off a ship I know its only one of three things. Foul play, silly play (like passengers jumping from balcony to balcony) or self-induced. The media tends not to announce exact details. One simply cannot slip and fall off a deck on a cruise ship.

Thanks for clearing that up. While a loss of life under any circumstance is a terrible tragedy, people unfamiliar with cruise travel should know that it is not easy to "fall" off a ship.

I began sailing with Cunard in 1993, and to my knowledge there has never been a crew member to be lost at sea. Is this true?

It is however, a very sad incident for everyone involved with the young man. We always hope for some kind of miracle in these situations, but it does not appear it will happen. I was hoping that some other ship in the area would have found him.

Terrence

I think the QM2 captain was right to call off the search (as did the local Canadian Coast Guard, who know those waters). The Labrador Current flows south from the Arctic, past the East coast of Newfoundland. I have been off the harbour entrance to St John's in late June and there were icebergs a-plenty. The water is very cold, all year. That's also why there was sea mist (fog) in the area too - very common around there.

The crew member's chances of survival would be, in my estimation, virtually zero well before an hour elapsed in that water; hypothermia causes unconsciousness (which can be a soon as 10 minutes) before death occurs. He was very likely dead long before the ship returned to the area he was in.

The worst part must have been watching the lit ship, in the dark, getting smaller and smaller as he got colder and colder, by the second.

Horrible.

Please, let us not speculate. For the sake of this young man's loved ones who might be reading this forum, dignity and decorum should prevail at this time.

There will be an official inquest, and anyone with information regarding this tragic death should inform the proper authorities.

Salacia

Please, let us not speculate. For the sake of this young man's loved ones who might be reading this forum, dignity and decorum should prevail at this time.

There will be an official inquest, and anyone with information regarding this tragic death should inform the proper authorities.

Salacia

Im sorry but I think the "young mans loved ones " would have more to do at the moment than read a forum!

I feel very much for the crew, they would feel this very deeply.

Roscoe

Salacia

Which will presumably be held in Bermuda?

David

Wow, no holding back in that report. Thanks for the link.

Good grief, just read this article from the Telegraph. IF (IF) it is accurate it is even more sad. Cunard's reaction seems a bit Draconian though - This incident is not one of many and my view is that the staff need some down time as well as the passengers.

Whatever - a very sad incident and thoughts go to the family, his friends and passengers who, to their credit, lined the decks to search for him.

Yes, it is so sad and whereas I can guess that sometimes these guys can go a bit wild in their spare time, they work under an enormous amount of pressure.

Apart from the long hours they work and the deadlines, the pressure they are under from guests is very high. On our recent mini cruise, I was really appalled at how some people spoke to the staff if everything did not go quite right and made a big thing about trivial issues. The staff were always so very professional but it must be very hard for them if a lot of people display an arrogant attitude to them.

Edited by Scriv

Good grief, just read this article from the Telegraph. IF (IF) it is accurate it is even more sad. Cunard's reaction seems a bit Draconian though - This incident is not one of many and my view is that the staff need some down time as well as the passengers.

Whatever - a very sad incident and thoughts go to the family, his friends and passengers who, to their credit, lined the decks to search for him.

If you read further into the article the alcohol and deck privileges ban is only for 24 hours. No doubt a time out was needed for a review of the crew alcohol policies.

I apologize if someone has posted this later on... But, the captain, crew and passengers all performed as well under the circumstances as one could hope.

And the Captain's attitude was certainly correct.

We searched for hours. Not only while on the "grid" laid out by the Candian Coast Guard (along with another ship), but also on the way to that position. Crew were looking. Passengers were looking (with binoc's if one had them).

Not sure if everyone is aware, but one's chances of surviving long in the Atlantic are very, very slim and the amount of time one can survive is short.

Also, the Captain and his crew had information available to them which we did not have at the time and which was not available when I saw people interviewed in Halifax. The more information one knows/knew, the more clearly one can see that the captain and his crew (and, again, the pax) went above and beyond and did everything possible.

I understand your concerns. And I think you would have been pleased - and perhaps even pleasantly surprised - with how everyone responded to such an unfortunate situation. All the way down to the steady flow of passengers dropping contributions for the man's family into a box at the purser's desk.

Captain expressed skepticism about finding him in fog, but decided to turn and search anyway.

As a former mariner I HOPE this is simply an inaccurate statement of the situation. The Coast Guard recently searched a week for two boys lost in Florida ...

If YOU fall off, how long do you think they should look for you?

I can't see CUNARD saying ... well we know he's gone but there was fog so we didn't bother to search . . .

and later posts say that is NOT what happened

however as a former Captain/Master .... if the Captain sounds 'skeptical' it taints the entire search process. "Captain thinks this is a waste of time so . . . "

The Captain must always convey "we WILL find them .. IF WE try very very hard .... because they are our SHIPMATE and they would do it for US"

I presume you are referring to the alcohol ban...

It was only for 24 hours a time period during which it was far better to let tempers and emotions cool.

What's more, I had "drinks" with a senior officer the last night and he certainly did not complain about drinker seltzer water. None of the other staff or crew complained, either.

Also, Cunard made very sure to have clergy available while in Halifax, in addition to those already aboard. So it is probably safe to say that Cunard (and the Captain) are doing what they can.

A sad situation for which there is no "best" outcome. But everyone seems clearly to have done their best.