Dave’s Live from Amsterdam 14-day Alaska, August 24 – September 7, 2014

RetiredMustang

Hello CC’ers,

I’m back with another “Live From” blog, this time from MS Amsterdam on a 14-day round-trip Alaska cruise from Seattle. This is my first attempt at love-blogging since Harris became the Internet provider. I have read the reports on the service on board Amsterdam, and may be limited in what I can manage to post.

Here is our itinerary:

- 24 Aug., sail from Seattle at 4 p.m.;

- 25 Aug, at sea;

- 26 Aug, Ketchikan 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.;

- 27 Aug, Tracy Arm scenic cruising noon to 5 p.m.;

- 28 Aug, Juneau 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.;

- 29 Aug, Icy Strait Point 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.;

- 30 Aug, at sea;

- 31 Aug, Anchorage 7 a.m. to 11 p.m.;

- 1 Sep, Homer 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.;

- 2 Sep, Kodiak 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.;

- 3 Sep, Hubbard Glacier scenic cruising 2-6 p.m.;

- 4 Sep, Sitka 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.;

- 5 Sep, at sea;

- 6 Sep, Victoria BC 1-11 p.m.;

- 7 Sep, Return to Seaattle at 7 a.m.

Here is a map of our itinerary:

ALS414_zps28d97fee.jpg

More later,

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

Pre-cruise

We arrived in Seattle on Friday, and spent Friday afternoon to Sunday morning with our sons and friends. We have lived in Seattle and visited often, so did not “see the sights.” However, visiting one son involved ferry rides to Bremerton and back on Saturday, so we were treated to the usual spectacular scenery on that route, and were lucky to have glorious weather.

Manette_zps6d1154a8.jpg

BainbridgeIsland_zps5c8dc97a.jpg

Bainbridgehouses_zps1323bde9.jpg

We noticed that Westerdam was in port, berthed with a Princess ship at Pier 90:

Westerdam_zps62492dd0.jpg

An NCL ship was at Pier 66, as seen in this shot of the Seattle skyline taken from the ferry on the approach to the city:

Seattleskyline_zpsf37da701.jpg

More later,

Dave

Embarkation Day, Aug. 24

This morning we walked to Pike Place Market to have breakfast at Lowell’s, which has excellent food, good views over Elliott Bay and Puget Sound, and opens at 7 a.m. daily. The day has started sunny and pleasant, with a bit of mist burning off the water.

We walked out to the elevator for the parking garage, where we were able to see around the buildings to Pier 90, and were gratified to see that Amsterdam was in port. So, we are here, the ship is here … now for the third thing: us on board Amsterdam.

When walking back, we noticed that the mist had risen a bit, and was shrouding the Space Needle, making for an interesting view:

SpaceNeedleinfog_zps87f5c315.jpg

Now, we are rechecking our packing, and getting ready to go. In about an hour or so, we’ll take a cab to the pier, and board.

My next post, Harris cooperation willing, will be from our cabin.

More later,

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

Looking forward to your "Live From" reports. Hope the Internet has improved since we were on the Amsterdam in December (right after the switch) and again in May (when it still was not that great.) We board the Amsterdam the day you disembark so keep her bright and beautiful for us. Barbara

Dave,

Hope you and Kathy have a great cruise like we did in June. Looking forward to your excellent photos and commentary. We ordered sun today but no guarantee after today. We have had great warm weather here in he Northwest this summer.

Rick & joyce

Here is a sniped photo from the web cam over in the Elliot Bay small boat harbor taken at 1:45 pm PDT. Looks a little hazy there and sorry Mt. Rainer is not visable. I will snip another one later when the sun is in a better angle.

Amsterdam8-24-14.jpg

Embarkation Day, Aug. 24 (Cont.)

We took a cab from the hotel to the pier, and quickly dropped our bags inside the terminal at the drop-off point, and then went up to check in. The 5-star and 4-start area had no line, and we filled out our health questionnaire and got our ship cards quickly. We waited about 20 minutes before being called to board. First called were 5-stars, followed by 4-stars; mobility challenged people were led out a side door closer to the gangway.

We went to our rooms, unloaded our carryons and explored the ship a bit before coming back to check on our bags. We found they both had arrived, so while DW unpacks, I am editing photos and registering for the Internet.

Attached are the cover of our Explorer booklet:

Explorercover_zps03c2eed4.jpg

And the On Location pages for today:

24AugOnLocation1_zps64a913bf.jpg

24AugOnLocation2_zps204ff291.jpg

Amsterdam is an elegant ship and appears to be in great shape. We look forward to getting to know her over the next two weeks.

More later,

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

Oooo!! Great!! Thank you, thank you!! Love your live reports and the photos are super! What a treat!!!

Is RuthC on this one? And Aloha Pride? What a group you guys will be!!

Hope you see them all and say "hi" for all of us here on CC.

Enjoy your cruise

Edited by SilvertoGold

Dave, when we did our b2b in '09, RuthC and AloahPride were on the "Good Nuts" cruise with us. When they disembarked, you boarded for the "Voyage of the Pink Flamingos" (don't know how I remember all this!).

Please say hello to Ruth and to Mary ("AloahaPride"), Keaka, and their 3 little girls for me!