Cruise Confusion!

Edwy

My daughter, 35 and myself would like to take a cruise to Alaska next summer. We have done several Disney cruises, but we would like to try another line, now. We are interested in good food, shore tours involving glaciers, wildlife and would love to see a whale, but we are not big into a Party Ship. We would prefer to cruise in company with passengers of about our ages. We would like a really good tour, but not super expensive, and we could spend about 7 - 9 days on this tour. It would be great if we could leave from Seattle, but not essential. Any suggestions you can make regarding cruises or cruise lines would be gratefully received:cool:!

Thanks!

My daughter, 35 and myself would like to take a cruise to Alaska next summer. We have done several Disney cruises, but we would like to try another line, now. We are interested in good food, shore tours involving glaciers, wildlife and would love to see a whale, but we are not big into a Party Ship. We would prefer to cruise in company with passengers of about our ages. We would like a really good tour, but not super expensive, and we could spend about 7 - 9 days on this tour. It would be great if we could leave from Seattle, but not essential. Any suggestions you can make regarding cruises or cruise lines would be gratefully received:cool:!

Thanks!

Have you checked out Princess?

We've taken Holland America for our Alaska cruises.

Celebrity also does Alaska.

Princess cruises with a land extension in Denali comes to mind. It's easy to see whales in Alaska, btw. The other line I would consider would be Celebrity. Both of these will provide you with a non-party cruise atmosphere - well, actually pretty much any cruise in Alaska is NOT a party cruise!

Here's a Princess Itinerary that I think would be fantastic!

http://www.princess.com/find/searchResults.do

On the cruise part, Glacier Bay is a real highlight of any Alaska cruise.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

I agree...Folks go to Alaska to see Alaska.....not to party! The short Caribbean trips are the "party trips"...on ANY cruise line!
Have yet to be on a Crystal or Seabourn Caribbean itinerary that was a "party trip". And they have all-inclusive alcohol.

Princess and HAL have dominated the Alaska market for years. They are much more experienced than the other lines. They also have most of the slots for Glacier Bay which is the highlight of the trip. Most of the other lines do not go there.

Check out Celebrity Solstice -- out of Seattle. :cool:

I don't know. Alaska is one of those trips about the scenery, not the ship. I would opt for one of the ships with fewer pax and less bells and whistles. We really liked the HAL one way Anchorage to Vancouver that got us into College Fjord. Too bad we didn't add on a land excursion.

For thoughts on itineraries I would visit the Alaska Ports of Call Board as mentioned.

Once you narrow down what you are interested in I would read reviews about the ships since you mentioned that you were looking for a cruise ship/line with good food.

Cruise lines that come to mind that have itineraries of interest would be Princess, Holland and Celebrity.

Keith

I've been to Alaska on both HAL and Carnival, and neither were party ships. Alaska is about Alaska. All cruise lines offer shorex that cover glaciers, whales, wildlife, etc.

Roz

Having done a couple Alaska cruises on a couple different lines, I recommend a one-way northbound or southbound cruise to/from Vancouver and Seward or Whittier. Avoid Seattle. The Inside Paasage portion is better when cryuising to/from Vancouver. For cruise lines, I recommend Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Holland America. I'm one of the few who wouldn't do Princess. The reason is, I think their ships are too crowded and rooms are too small. I also wouldn't do NCL. I've just had too many bad experiences with them.

Thanks!

Since you listed food first, think about Oceania. With the right TA and sail dates, you'll find the included perks (e.g., airfare et al.) bring it's pricing down closer to the lines like HAL or Celebrity. Less than 700 passengers and no nickel/diming.

Smaller ships can get up closer to scenery. Oceania Princess and HAL are smaller than Celebrity or Carnival.

Oceania's Regatta, at under 700 passengers is able to get "up close and personal" with the spectacular Hubbard Glacier (while you enjoy afternoon tea and the string quartet in the panoramic viewing Horizons lounge).