Very Skeptical

labgoat

My extended family wants to go on a cruise together to Alaska. I've only been on a cruise once before, about 15 years ago, and it was a horrible, miserable experience. I would never choose to go on another cruise again, but I'm receiving a lot of pressure to go, and I promised I would at least do some research before making a final decision (and I have been, which is how I found Cruise Critic). Plans are very flexible, so nothing specific has been decided beyond the fact it would be a cruise to Alaska.

I'm a very pleasant person, though I'm sure I sound cranky and no fun at all in this post ;-) But here are the things that I didn't like about the one cruise I took, and I'm wondering if these are things that can be overcome or if they're just "part of the experience" so to speak. Money is a consideration, of course, but not my primary consideration: I'd be willing to spend more to ensure a good experience (better cruise line, better room, etc) as long as it doesn't get ridiculous.

So here were the problems I had last time:

* I get sea sick. I started getting nauseous immediately after boarding, while the boat was still docked. I was promised that it couldn't happen on modern cruise lines since the boats are so large and have stabilizers, but that was not at all my experience. I know there are drugs, but I don't really like to take medication.

* I don't like crowds or noise. I was always surrounded by a lot of people, which was a bit stressful. Disembarking was horrendous.

* I'm mildly claustrophobic. This is very rarely a problem for me, but it was on the cruise ship. Our cabin was tiny and had no windows (low and in middle of ship as I was told that experiences the least rockiness). So it wasn't at all a relaxing place to retreat to. It was also very loud with constant engine noise. I also didn't like ever being in a location on the ship that didn't at least have a window.

* I'm not into the "night life" -- clubs, gambling, shows, etc.

* I don't like to dress up and won't attend formal nights. I don't even own a suit.

* I'm not into the pool scene or sunbathing. Not sure this matters much on an Alaska cruise anyway, but there it is ;-)

* I don't like hectic vacations where I'm "doing something" every single day. I like to relax when on vacation, put up my feet, read a book, sip an espresso, etc.

* I don't like touristy places (which were the only places the cruise I went on stopped), but would much rather prefer to get away from the hustle and bustle.

Those are the things I can think of off the top of my head. On the positive side, I would like to see Alaska (and especially Glacier Bay, though I've read that's not really feasible unless one does a 7-day one-way cruise). I'm just not sure a cruise is the way to do it.

One more detail: there would be three of us in the cabin: myself, my wife, and our daughter who will be 3 next year when we'd go.

So can someone recommend an Alaska cruise and the arrangements I should pursue that might lead to an enjoyable experience? Or are cruises just not for me, as I suspect?

Thanks, everyone, for your patience. :-)

LG

* I get sea sick. I started getting nauseous immediately after boarding, while the boat was still docked. I was promised that it couldn't happen on modern cruise lines since the boats are so large and have stabilizers, but that was not at all my experience. I know there are drugs, but I don't really like to take medication.

I don't like taking medication either (you wouldn't even find Tylenol in my house). but taking OTC stuff for a couple of days is not a big deal. The key is to start taking it the day BEFORE the cruise. And then see how it goes once you're on board. Also, when you board the ship while it's still docked - there's no way you would even feel any different than from walking into a building. You can feel motion when the ship is in open waters but once it hits Inside Passage, the waters are very calm.

* I'm mildly claustrophobic. This is very rarely a problem for me, but it was on the cruise ship. Our cabin was tiny and had no windows (low and in middle of ship as I was told that experiences the least rockiness). So it wasn't at all a relaxing place to retreat to. It was also very loud with constant engine noise. I also didn't like ever being in a location on the ship that didn't at least have a window.

Sounds like you need an oceanview room or higher (balcony, mini-suite, whatever you can afford - but inside rooms are out).

You don't have to do any of it. Alaskan cruises are not party cruises anyway.

* I don't like to dress up and won't attend formal nights. I don't even own a suit.

There's always the buffet.

* I don't like hectic vacations where I'm "doing something" every single day. I like to relax when on vacation, put up my feet, read a book, sip an espresso, etc.

You'll have sea days when you can do that.

Might I suggest you look into Norwegian Cruise Lines. There are no formal nights and the most you have to get dressed up in is a pair of pants and a polo shirt for the French restaurant (Le Bistro -- upcharge restaurant) and the aft dining room. Also there are no set dining times with assigned seating. Because of your little one you can gauge your dinner time when necessary and not have to wait for an early or late seating.

For seasick, ask your doctor, Meclizine is a prescription non-drowsy very inexpensive Bonine. As stated above take it the day before you embark and every day thereafter. Also green apples will help with queasiness. I was prescribed the Meclizine for vertigo and it does work.

I think for an Alaska cruise a Balcony cabin is the way to go, on Norwegian's SUN the balcony cabins are the largest in the fleet and if you can swing a mini-suite the 'extra' bed (fold out couch) has a curtain which will separate the couch area from the sleeping area and the bathroom will have a full tub/shower.

Crowds.....the SUN is one of the smallest NCL ships but what is great is that she has a forward observation lounge with floor to ceiling windows if the weather is inclement as well as an aft outside buffet area just off the main buffet with some great views.

I think you will get a lot of help here, as away, do homework and ask ship specific or cruise line specific questions on the appropriate forum.

Have fun and I hope you find that you will no longer be skeptical about cruising :D

labgoat .... Welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

Don't feel guilty.

Some people just do NOT like to cruise.

You gave it a try and didn't like it. You will have the same things you disliked on any cruise you book. Please don't let people push you into doing something you already know you don't enjoy. ;)

LuLu

Life is short and very precious. If you don't care for cruising, then please don't push yourself to go because you will be miserable. Interestingly enough, for every point you listed, I can counter it and so can everyone here. BUT... will it be enough to change your mind? Should you change your mind? That is the question. ;)

My extended family wants to go on a cruise together to Alaska. I've only been on a cruise once before, about 15 years ago, and it was a horrible, miserable experience. I would never choose to go on another cruise again, but I'm receiving a lot of pressure to go, and I promised I would at least do some research before making a final decision (and I have been, which is how I found Cruise Critic). Plans are very flexible, so nothing specific has been decided beyond the fact it would be a cruise to Alaska.

I'm a very pleasant person, though I'm sure I sound cranky and no fun at all in this post ;-) But here are the things that I didn't like about the one cruise I took, and I'm wondering if these are things that can be overcome or if they're just "part of the experience" so to speak. Money is a consideration, of course, but not my primary consideration: I'd be willing to spend more to ensure a good experience (better cruise line, better room, etc) as long as it doesn't get ridiculous.

* I don't like crowds or noise. I was always surrounded by a lot of people, which was a bit stressful. Disembarking was horrendous.

* I'm not into the pool scene or sunbathing. Not sure this matters much on an Alaska cruise anyway, but there it is ;-)

* I don't like touristy places (which were the only places the cruise I went on stopped), but would much rather prefer to get away from the hustle and bustle.

Those are the things I can think of off the top of my head. On the positive side, I would like to see Alaska (and especially Glacier Bay, though I've read that's not really feasible unless one does a 7-day one-way cruise). I'm just not sure a cruise is the way to do it.

One more detail: there would be three of us in the cabin: myself, my wife, and our daughter who will be 3 next year when we'd go.

So can someone recommend an Alaska cruise and the arrangements I should pursue that might lead to an enjoyable experience? Or are cruises just not for me, as I suspect?

LG

Greetings. After reading your post, two things struck me - 1) you sound a lot like me, but 2) despite that, our differences are such that your family would be happier if you DID NOT go on a cruise.

Summary over, let's get into the details:

* I don't like taking medicine either and feel that if you have to take drugs to take a trip, then that's a trip you don't want to take. Ships don't get any more stable than being tied up at the dock. You got unlucky here, and I'm sorry.

* The mainstream cruise lines have lots of crowds and lots of lines. I'm not a big fan of either. There are ways to avoid both, at least some of the time.

* Cruise cabins tend to be small unless you book a suite. I'm surprised you heard much engine noise at all from mid ship.

* I like some of the things you mentioned, but not all of it, and not all the time. There are some other activities that ships offer that you may or may not be interested in - like trivia and lectures.

* I have found cruises to be very relaxing within their limits.

* I don't do pools or sunbathing, though Alaska has a surprising amount of sun in late spring and summer (which is the only time cruise ships go there).

* I'm not a big fan of formal nights either. Cruising, in general, has become a lot less formal over the past 15 years.

* I think the places the bigger cruise ships stop are, by definition, touristy. When you let off 2000+ people in a single place, the nearby residents tend to rely on them and provide services to cater to them. Sometimes you can get off the beaten track by taking a taxi ride away from the dock.

I wish you well with your future plans.

I can understand some of your thoughts. My first cruise was in 1998 on the original Sun Princess, which was a "high density"ship. The food was lousy and the weather was bad. We were in a tiny cabin with a porthole.

However, we took a chance and went on other cruises. The last one was a 32 day cruise from Buenos Aires to Los Angeles.

My wife who gets very seasick, takes Bonine or the generic meclazine every day and has no problems.

We had a balcony cabin, and spent a lot of time out there. My wife is also mildly claustrophobic, but had no problems.

So, my message to the OP is to forget about taking a cruise. Some folks are just not well suited to go on ships, and with your history plus attitude you would most likely hate another cruise and make everyone around you miserable.

And before others flame me for my opinion, it is simply based on more then 40 years of extensive cruising (many years spent on cruise ships). As much as I (and most others here on CC) love cruising, the reality is that its not for everyone.

Hank

Hello,

I had a couple of thoughts, though I am not sure how much of your decision is pre-determined.

We did an Alaska cruise - myself, husband, and 2 children in one balcony cabin on the Solstice with my Mum and her friend in the next door cabin.

I really appreciate a signficant amount of alone time daily, which I was able to find on board in various nooks/crannies of the ship (library) or on the verandah as our children were involved in activities.

Of cruises, I think Alaska allows you to get away from the crowds very easily. It is so big and empty. In Ketchikan, we did a kayaking tour that only allowed 6 - which was our group, so essentially a private guide, a big empty sound and so much quiet and wildlife. It was amazing. In Juneau, we took a taxi to Mendenhall Glacier. Most people go on the nugget falls trail (we also did that) - but there are heaps of other trails around the area. My husband and I hiked for over an hour without seeing anyone. It was a very tame trail. We rented a car for the day in Yukon and beat the buses/trains to the Canadian border - we did not deal with traffic or see many other people.

Our family still talks about how much fun they had on that trip, though we are not avid cruisers. My husband is no fan of Disneyland, but he has gone a couple times to participate in the family fun. It makes for worthwhile memories.

As for the sea-sickness, because you were in port, I wonder if there could be an anxiety component? I get nauseated in big crowds, so just wondering.

I have used scopalamine patches in the past, which require a prescription and are placed about 12 hours prior to boarding. They do have side effects of dry mouth and drowsiness, which affect some more than others. I also do not regularly take medication, but needed these when I did field work on smaller vessels. I did not need anything in Alaska, but am not very sensitive to motion sickness.

We were on the Celebrity Solstice, which had 2 formal nights. These were only pertinant if you went to the main dining room. Specialty restaurants and buffet had no dress code.

As for activities, I was attending a medical conference, so did that during sea days. I did participate in a dance class with my son which was fun and really enjoyed the naturalist lectures. However, as the times conflicted with my conference, I watched them re-broadcast on the cabin television. I only went to one evening show with my family - the cirque de soliel one - it was very good.

This is just my experience, but I hope some of it helps. If not, there are many ways to journey to the Great North! (cruises are just really easy IMO).

Cheers and good luck!

I hope your post is authentic, and not some kind of ruse, because everything you claim to hate about cruising is what cruising is all about. So, why would you even consider a cruise knowing you're going to be miserable?

One thing that struck me is your claim of getting sea sick when the ship was still docked. I don't think this is possible on a ship that isn't moving, so I suspect something else is going on---perhaps psychosomatic.

As others have said, cruising isn't for you, so it's best you stay home.

What are your specific objections to meclizine? People who simply refuse to take meds confuse me a little--what if you needed insulin, or blood pressure meds? It seems like an emotional, not rational thing, and if you're willing to let that prevent you from traveling and getting outside your comfort zone, then there's probably not much we can say. There are non medication remedies for seasickness, but they mostly seem like hocus pocus to me.

Even if we could help you with each of your points, there is one that is not going away:

Even if you are genuinely interested in joining your family on a cruise and are serious about trying to overcome these many obstacles you have set up for yourself, this one is going to remain. Cruise ships are crowded places. There are, potentially, thousands of people cruising with you, plus hundreds of crew members. And yes, embarking and disembarking are crowded, although not always "horrendous", in my opinion.

Perhaps a land vacation would suit you better.

Seasickness -- I got seasick on a Princess cruise through the inside passage. It's a real thing. Sea Bands are elastic bands with a plastic marble that presses on an accupressure point on your wrist. You know it's in the right spot when you feel kind of woozy on dry land. Once on the ship, it all equalizes out. They work great for me, and for lots of other people. I found mine at CVS. I still carry Dramamine just in case, but I have not needed it for years. In fact, after the first few days at sea, I can take the Sea Bands off and I'm fine unless the waves are particularly bad.

Claustrophobia -- I can't do an inside cabin. I pick a cabin low, as close to mid ship as possible, that at least has a window. A balcony is better. I'm willing to pay the extra cost, because the cheaper room is intolerable for me.

I actually prefer a port intensive intinerary. I use the ship as a floating hotel and see as much as I possibly can. That's me. You don't have to ever get off of the ship if you don't want to.

Crowds -- I'm a classic introvert. I'll deal with crowds and socialize when I have to, but I find it exhausting. That's where room service and my balcony come into play. :) When I've really had too much, I retreat to my cabin, order room service, and enjoy the view from my private balcony. Alternatively, I eat at the buffet (usually very good, despite some of the threads you'll run into. I've always made a really nice meal.), it's quick and business like, and find a quiet bar to settle into with a book. There's always one on the ship.

What I like about cruising; You only unpack once. It's a floating hotel with several really good restaurants and bars that takes you to a brand new place every day. If I choose not to explore that new place, that's fine, the scenery from my balcony is different and that's great. If I do want to explore, it's as easy as disembarking and wandering around on foot if I don't want to book a tour. (I did this in Le Havre, France. I had a bad cold settling in, so I took a taxi into town, found some decent brandy, some cough drops, and some really great cheese, and tucked myself back into my cabin to ride out the worst of the illness.) I'm as social as I want to be. I ate in the Main Dining Room several times, it was very good. I ate at some of the specialty restaurants, they were very good. I stopped in at several bars, no complaints.

The vacation really is what you make it.

Note: I insist on having my own cabin. I will not share it with anybody. I need that quiet retreat. I know that about myself.

Having said all of that; Cruising is not for everybody. If it isn't your cup of tea, there's nothing wrong with that. I don't cruise every year. Some years I hitch truck to trailer and head off in a general direction with my dogs. We all have different styles, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I'm sympathetic to the OP's issues and can relate to many of them.

And I also understand the family pressure angle. It's not helpful to say "just don't go to the shows" and "just don't dress up" when everyone else in the group wants to do exactly that.

Plenty of families will be well-meaning and loving but still not understand why one person can't just go along with it. If the OP was trying to talk a reluctant relative into it rather than be the reluctant relative, the advice would be different. They'd be selfish for not sucking it up to make Grandma happy or whatever.

Also, I'm sure the OP could get past a "bad attitude." That gets thrown at posters more often than is reasonable. You can vent on a post without being a cranky, inconsiderate person.

I'd seriously consider sending your wife and daughter without you. It's much more of a compromise than all of you staying home. There really isn't any way around most of those (valid) issues you've listed. I cruised very reluctantly and ended up enjoying it but I wouldn't have with that list.

An Alaska cruise is pretty active. Also, going with a group of relatives means no relaxing even on a sea day. That was one downside to our trip. None.

And although Southeast Alaska is beautiful, you are going into some major tourist trap areas. (I grew up there. I worked at those gift shops. It's home. But it's cheesy what we push at you guys.)

Could your wife and daughter go without you? That may be better for everyone involved, as it sounds like you're going to be sick and miserable.

Roz

Stay home!

Sounds like you are already committed to having a bad trip. Do yourself and your family a favor and stay home. It is bad enough when you are miserable but there is no reason to make the whole family miserable too.

I get horribly seasick. I don't like meds either, but take Bonine each evening. It has been a lifesaver for me.

I don't do crowds either, so I suggest to self disembark. You will be one of the first off the ship and should be able to miss the crowds.

Get a balcony cabin, especially in Alaska!! You don't want to miss all the scenery or the whales!!

Sit out on your balcony and enjoy evening. No one says you have to go to shows.

NCL - you don't have to dress up for dinner.

You answered your own question... lol.

Again, sit on your balcony. I am going on an NCL cruise next week and after looking at the itinerary, we have a lot of ship (relaxing) time.

Check into private tours or rent a car and drive yourself.

I am doing a round trip from Seattle and we are cruising Glacier Bay.

LG

See my answers above.

Sounds like you are already committed to having a bad trip. Do yourself and your family a favor and stay home. It is bad enough when you are miserable but there is no reason to make the whole family miserable too.

He already said that wouldn't be the case. That's not really fair.