flight home from Rome to East Coast

caggfamily

We've done many cruises, but never a Med. We're on a 7 day Equinox cruise in July 2016 that begins in Istanbul and ends in Rome. Because of time constrains after the cruise, we'll be traveling around Italy before the cruise begins. I'm wondering when I should try to book a flight home from Rome. I know I'll be anxious to get home, but what is the earliest flight I could comfortably make? I was briefly looking at evening flights home, but most seem to stop somewhere overnight and then continue in the morning. Am I better off staying the night somewhere in Rome? I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.

You might want to consider flying from another city (Florence, Milan, Venice). An alternate international airport may be a major cost savings. We're using an alternate (Toronto, Canada as opposed to Detroit) and (for the hassle of a four hour drive) realizing a $600+ per person savings! And, don't limit your search to Italy. A train from Rome (Civitavecchia) to another departure airport (Munich, Bern, Frankfurt, Paris, Brussels, London) is a great way to enjoy the post-cruise wind-down and the scenery . . .

Edited by Calgon1

We've done many cruises, but never a Med. We're on a 7 day Equinox cruise in July 2016 that begins in Istanbul and ends in Rome. Because of time constrains after the cruise, we'll be traveling around Italy before the cruise begins. I'm wondering when I should try to book a flight home from Rome. I know I'll be anxious to get home, but what is the earliest flight I could comfortably make? I was briefly looking at evening flights home, but most seem to stop somewhere overnight and then continue in the morning. Am I better off staying the night somewhere in Rome? I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.

East coast is a large area , from Florida Newfoundland

Maybe include your closest airport

If you are flying from Rome to Philadelphia, there is only one direct flight a day on USAir/American so you would not have to choose a time, just a day. I believe it was around 11 a.m. or noon.

If you are flying into Newark, I am sure you have many choices.

We've flown the USAir/American flight from Rome to Philly at 11:20 AM and had PLENTY of time to get to airport....we were picked up at 8 and were at the airport before 9.....

We booked the flight about 6-8 months ahead of the cruise....

Check the Rome port board for more suggestions. The ride from port to airport takes an hour or less and there are several limo companies that will be happy for your business. Anything leaving Rome after 11, or better yet after noon, should be safe.

We will be finishing a cruise in Rome as well this July, and have a 12:15 flight booked. I'm comfortable with that, as the ship is scheduled back in port at 5am I believe.

You can make even earlier flights if you walk off with luggage. Last year we walked off at 6:45 and were at FCO before 7:30. But more time is needed if you are flying directly back to the US and have to check in at terminsl five than if you stop in one of the european cities and leave from terminal three.

But still easy to walk off. Rome is probably the easiest port to disembark from.

Sorry - we live in Philadelphia area (PHL)

We live in the Philadelphia area as well but prefer using Newark airport but for some reason flights were better and cheaper into Philly, as PSU stated only one per day, around noon.

We've flown the USAir/American flight from Rome to Philly at 11:20 AM and had PLENTY of time to get to airport....we were picked up at 8 and were at the airport before 9.....

We booked the flight about 6-8 months ahead of the cruise....

I would say that 2h20 isn't necessarily plenty of time for a once-daily international flight. If the ship comes in a bit late, immigration is slow, or there's some extra traffic on the roads, you might run in to problem.

I would definitely allow more time for flights going directly back to the US checking in at Terminal 5. It takes forever at that terminal due to the security.

But for flights checking in at terminal three, 2h20 would probably be enough. Or walk off the ship at no later than 7 to give yourself more time.

We plant to book a direct flight home to PHL so we will have to go through customs. That's my concern. It sounds like that means we have to go to terminal 5? All the flights that will get me home to PHL the same day leave before noon, which is why i'm trying to gauge how long the process might take. I don't want to cut it too close but I also don't want an overnight layover somewhere. if that's the case, I'd be better off staying in Rome another night, which wouldn't be horrible, but as I said, I need to get home sooner rather than later.

OTOH, if you miss a flight booked through Choice Air, most likely you will be completely on your own and will need to purchase a very expense "walk-up" ticket. The original ticket purchased through Choice Air will have no recoverable value. Tickets purchased directly from the airline have more recourse available if you miss the flight since you're the airline's customer (who the airline puts ahead of Choice Air's customers). But you may still be in an interesting bind.

Your wording ("they think" and "hope so") are the crux of the issue. Choice Air disclaims responsibility for successful travel and workable itineraries by stating they provide the service as a "convenience". What they think (correctly or wrongly) carries no liability for them....and "hoping" they're right could be misplaced optimism...I'd personally understand the consequences and probability of missing the flight and have Plan B and trip insurance coverage. (Note the insurance that the cruiselines provide is a poor value that mostly protects their own interests. Independent trip insurance is far more coverage for about the same price and can be customized to your needs).

OTOH, if you miss a flight booked through Choice Air, most likely you will be completely on your own and will need to purchase a very expense "walk-up" ticket. The original ticket purchased through Choice Air will have no recoverable value. Tickets purchased directly from the airline have more recourse available if you miss the flight since you're the airline's customer (who the airline puts ahead of Choice Air's customers). But you may still be in an interesting bind.

Your wording ("they think" and "hope so") are the crux of the issue. Choice Air disclaims responsibility for successful travel and workable itineraries by stating they provide the service as a "convenience". What they think (correctly or wrongly) carries no liability for them....and "hoping" they're right could be misplaced optimism...I'd personally understand the consequences and probability of missing the flight and have Plan B and trip insurance coverage. (Note the insurance that the cruiselines provide is a poor value that mostly protects their own interests. Independent trip insurance is far more coverage for about the same price and can be customized to your needs).

Thank you for the input. I too, have insurance purchased independently.

A train from Rome (Civitavecchia) to another departure airport (Munich, Bern, Frankfurt, Paris, Brussels, London) is a great way to enjoy the post-cruise wind-down and the scenery . . .

Trenltalia also runs trains to Switzerland...Zurich, I think.

We just flew out of the FCO (Rome Airport) the other day.

We've ended many a cruise in Rome.

If you don't care for stress book a flight Noon or later.

If you don't mind stress and want to rush off the ship you could do something a little earlier.

But for me it would be noon or later recognizing that things can go wrong such as:

Delay in getting luggage off the ship which happens from time to time and actually happened last week on the cruise I was on.

Delay in arriving to Rome.

Unexpected long lines at the ticket counter or in security.

The airport in Rome can be very chaotic which is why I recommend going with a noon or later flight.

Keith

Though this is likely not relevant to the OP, for others planning travel through Rome: FCO is still experiencing the effects of the major fire that occurred a bit over a month ago. Connections are especially chaotic, with much temporary signage. Even more troubling is that there is little printed on the web by either the airport or Alitalia to provide update information or revised layout maps and the like. Give yourself PLENTY of time at FCO this summer.

Though this is likely not relevant to the OP, for others planning travel through Rome: FCO is still experiencing the effects of the major fire that occurred a bit over a month ago. Connections are especially chaotic, with much temporary signage. Even more troubling is that there is little printed on the web by either the airport or Alitalia to provide update information or revised layout maps and the like. Give yourself PLENTY of time at FCO this summer.

I just flew to FCO about two weeks after the fire and then home from FCO on Monday. Effects of the fire were very minimal on my arrival the previous week into Terminal 3 (the terminal affected by the fire); other than having to exit the baggage claim through a different door, there was no change.

There was zero change to the usual process on departure (from Terminal 5 for security then bussed to Terminal 3). It was crowded, but that is usual at this time of year....

For the record, I prefer to allow 3 hours at this airport when departing via Terminal 5, but in most cases 2.5 hours is fine.

Edited by cruisemom42

I just flew to FCO about two weeks after the fire and then home from FCO on Monday. Effects of the fire were very minimal on my arrival the previous week into Terminal 3 (the terminal affected by the fire); other than having to exit the baggage claim through a different door, there was no change.

There was zero change to the usual process on departure (from Terminal 5 for security then bussed to Terminal 3). It was crowded, but that is usual at this time of year....

My comments were predominantly about connections - which I experienced on Monday. For connects in the G/H area, you have shuttle buses in place. In addition, AZ has one of their lounges out of action, so there's more crowding in the satellite "Giotto" lounge.

O&D may be a different situation, but even then, T5 is for flights to the USA and Israel while other destinations use different facilities.

In my opinion, it is wise to arrive to the FCO airport early to be on the safe side regardless of the recent fire but it is even more important to do it sooner since the fire. On our recent flight from FCO the other day we were advised to get there earlier.

I would rather end up spending more time at FCO waiting for my flight than get there and be hard pressed to make it.

Keith

For the record, I prefer to allow 3 hours at this airport when departing via Terminal 5, but in most cases 2.5 hours is fine.

If you fly Alitalia FCO-<USA>, you get to skip T5 and go direct to T3 :D But, since part of the fire was the exit portal (for passport control), I wonder how that is effecting T3 outbounds for those airlines that don't have to do T5 and just do T3…

If you fly Alitalia FCO-<USA>, you get to skip T5 and go direct to T3 :D But, since part of the fire was the exit portal (for passport control), I wonder how that is effecting T3 outbounds for those airlines that don't have to do T5 and just do T3…

You are indeed correct about skipping terminal 5. We flew FCO to Miami on Alitalia last Tuesday. Although the smell of smoke still lingered in places and several staff still wore masks in terminal 3 we did not experience any delay in boarding.