Medical (sort of) question

Gunters Oma

Is it DDs first migraine, or is it something that has happened before? Overtired, dehydration or ate something that triggered it? How old is she? When I was a young teen I used to get plagued with migraine until my hormones settled?

DD is in her early 40's. She has never had a headache of this severity. She is talking to her physician to see if if could be a from of seasickness.

Husky - chill out. I'm asking on a cruise forum because it is possible some other cruiser has had this experience and could share their problem and solution if any. It is a legitimate question for this forum.

If you've had migraines in the past, bring whatever medications worked for you. If you have NEVER had one, then you head to the medical center, and they will attempt to help.

I used to get them occasionally, but haven't in years....guess I've "grown out" of them.

The comment about Red Wine does raise an issue. Alcohol (not just Red Wine) is one of the major triggers for migraines. Many claim that tyramine (in red wine, sherry, beer, etc) is the culprit. Our family physician told me that based on what he has seen in his practice (about forty years) he thinks any alcoholic beverage can be a trigger. Its a true bummer to get a migraine on vacation (or any other time).

Hank

DD is in her early 40's. She has never had a headache of this severity. She is talking to her physician to see if if could be a from of seasickness.

Husky - chill out. I'm asking on a cruise forum because it is possible some other cruiser has had this experience and could share their problem and solution if any. It is a legitimate question for this forum.

The ship physician and nursing staff on the ship would treat you the same as on land. They would also have the same basic questions: is this the worst headache of your life, do you have a history of this type of headache pain, any neurological changes noted, if you have a history of said headache pain, what medications have worked in the past.

David - Retired ER RN

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your input. It seems like the wine at dinner might have been the trigger rather than seasickness.

Not sure how you can draw that conclusion. How can you narrow it down that it was either - or neither - of the two things you suspect? Many things can trigger a migraine, none of which would necessarily have been related to the cruise as a cause.

Just one other possibility is barometric pressure changes like when the weather goes from dry and sunny to stormy, rainy. I hope your DD and her doctor figure it out. The alcohol thing does seem like it could be the culprit.:)

Sulfites in wines tend to trigger my migraines whether on a cruise or not.

I highly doubt it has anything to do with the miniscule amounts of sulfites and more to do with dehydration. There are less sulfites in wine than many foods. http://winefolly.com/tutorial/sulfites-in-wine

Drink an eight ounce glass of water for every 4-6 ounce glass of wine and you'll likely notice a difference.

The ship physician and nursing staff on the ship would treat you the same as on land. They would also have the same basic questions: is this the worst headache of your life, do you have a history of this type of headache pain, any neurological changes noted, if you have a history of said headache pain, what medications have worked in the past.

David - Retired ER RN

The med staff could treat for a migraine, but receiving the bill for the treatment could trigger another one. happy cruising

Red Wine, Chocolate and too much SUN are triggers for me. I am so sorry that this happened on your cruise and Migraines are so random and hopefully you can figure out what the trigger was.

DD and I were on a 7 day cruise. Everything was fine until day 6. DD developed a severe migraine. We were wondering if anyone else ever had this experience and if so, what did you do for it?

Thanks!

Not really. It is question that should be answered by a medical professional familiar with your partner's history who has made a thorough physical examination.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My brother got very sick on board- ( ironically he is a physician as was my niece who we were traveling with) not a headache- but a kidney stone. They do have a medical facility on board with a well stocked pharmacy. If your problem is very serious you could be transferred to a hospital at a port- I suggest you bring with you any potential medications you might need in the event you are sick. If you are under treatment for your condition, perhaps your physician can give you a copy of your medical records to take with you and share with the physician on board in the event of an emergency.

I highly doubt it has anything to do with the miniscule amounts of sulfites ...

You might be surprised. My migraine triggers are aspartame artificial sweetener and MSG, and it only takes a small amount to trigger a migraine now that I'm sensitised to those substances. Both reactions came on later in life, after years of having no problems with either.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your input. It seems like the wine at dinner might have been the trigger rather than seasickness.

It's possible, but it could also have been another substance. I suggest your DD documents what she ate, drank and did before coming down with the migraine. If she feels brave she could try a similar wine to see if it has the same effect but, since the migraine was very severe she may be loathe to do that.

It took me years to isolate that aspartame triggers my migraines. Then I started getting them when I hadn't had aspartame. Since I then knew that food or drink could be a trigger it didn't take as long to pin it down to MSG.

Luckily I don't react to wine, chocolate, cheese or vegemite - all favourite foods of mine.

I can tell you a had a sudden and severe headache onboard. I would have brushed it off to the demon rum and the woman SCREAMING in my ear during a slot tournament. I had two more during the cruise. None lasted more than 5 minutes. I just tossed down some advil and extra water and carried on. Got to thinking about it, called the doc once I got home. He sent me for an MRI. They found an brain aneurysm. Had surgery a few weeks later.

Never mess around with sudden, unusual brain pain. I was lucky. People die with these things undiagnosed when they burst. The headaches were microbleeds.